Schools, restaurants told to stop using foam boxes

Rimmer

image.png

PATTAYA:--Schools, restaurants and government workers were told to cut use of plastic and foam containers and adapt cloth bags and other biodegradable materials.

Deputy Mayor Apichart Virapal opened the Aug. 29 lecture for about 70 civil servants and businesspeople.

He said Thailand is Southeast Asia’s largest producer of garbage at 1.76 kilograms per person, per day. The country dumps 45,000 pieces of plastic or foam per person, per year, he said.

He said Pattaya needs to cut back on plastic and foam use, and said government workers need to take a lead role in the campaign. Restaurants also must stop using foam and adapt paper or cloth bags and containers.

The training sessions laid out the challenges facing the country’s environment and the effects the trash has.

Apichart stressed the need for more garbage separation, reduction of use of plastic, and stopping the use of foam containers.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-09-07

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Various companies are forced to hold "garage sales" to minimize financial loss, and turned to desperate measures to get rid of what they have in stock:

CU%20at%20the%20beach_zpsc8kl4hzr.png

Edited by Lupatria

its maybe a bit late (20 years or so) but a good move in the right direction. but i think an official ban or making “free” plastic bags and foam containers illegal( hence forcing people to pay for it) will immediatly solve the problem. 

for all the haters there is no shame in refusing a plastic bag. i never ever get negative reactions for politely refusing a plastic bag.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Thais never question the plastic bags they are handed. I constantly have to signal "no bag" to 7-11 clerks. 7-11 and Family Mart really have to train their staff and customers to severely reduce usage of plastic bags. Yeah, like that's going to happen. 

It's happened at Homepro, sign at counter says no plastic bags. 

• Like 2

Sadly with the lower income lower intelligence bracket I think the bag culture is also a proof of payment

i.e if its in a  bag you have paid for it

i have never ever seen a Thai refuse a plastic bag

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

I am often asked at 7-11s if I need a bag.

Yep, this is happening more often to me at the 7. A good sign. But I frequently have to stop them bagging something. Thais are always given bags, even when it's utterly unnecessary.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

3 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Yep, this is happening more often to me at the 7. A good sign. But I frequently have to stop them bagging something. Thais are always given bags, even when it's utterly unnecessary.

Bags and straws!!

• Like 1