Stickman On Sunday is back

Bangkok Barry

23 hours ago, whiteman said:

Yes but is this the real Stick back on line from N.Z. or just some other bloke cashing in?  to me the writing is entirely different.

I read it and it did seem a better version of 'Dan about Thailand'. That is not a complement. Back when stick did write it for sure, a friend would occasionally send me a link to his more amusing columns, but I never followed him. He knew go go bars and Bangkok. However take him off sukhumvit and he was essentially clueless about the country, and the world at large. 

What I did enjoy were the letters from readers. You really can't make up stupidity by the truckload, that those guys brought in. Always good for a laugh.

Edited by LomSak27

He wrote a column about Thailand and Bangkok nightlife for 20 years with followers in the thousands sold advertising at a decent rate and made quite a bit of money.  Published thousands of stories fiction and non fiction about Thailand.  Why would you say dreamy romance.  He was Thailand related publisher with a large following who made money.  What's wrong with that? Why do you think he manipulated anyone?
What's his Author name for the books? Cheers.

Be happy

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You obviously didn't read much of what he wrote, or you have a short memory.

If you re read what I posted you will see how much I read, yep not much, but likely his greatest hits. I enjoyed reading them. On numerous occasions I read more .... and quickly, because of what you quoted above, stopped. I viewed him as a good writer and fun, but on too many occasions, that "Bangkok Bubble syndrome". That is not a damming criticism by the way, what it does mean is I am not spend a lot of time on his website. 

That is all. Not surprisingly I know a number of people who feel the same way. I wish him best of luck if he is back. Sadly I think there are less punters who will be writing in with those epic letters of real Laugh Out Loud dumbness. I think there are less of them out there these days. Those were his websites best feature so ... :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You obviously didn't read much of what he wrote, or you have a short memory.

Curious why you feel you have to personally defend Stickman against every single negative post here?

You must get infatuated easily?

8 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Curious why you feel you have to personally defend Stickman against every single negative post here?

You didn't ask me but I'll correct anyone who writes anything about a friend of mine that's not true.  Seems the least a friend could do.  If you want to write anything negative about Stickman that is true I'll agree with it.  He is not all good.  I think he let his GF get in the way of his good sense and caused a problem. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You didn't ask me but I'll correct anyone who writes anything about a friend of mine that's not true.  Seems the least a friend could do.  If you want to write anything negative about Stickman that is true I'll agree with it.  He is not all good.  I think he let his GF get in the way of his good sense and caused a problem. 

So that sounds like you are saying he made a mistake that he warned his readers about for over 15 years ?  ( letting a thai girl distort your "good sense" )

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

He's a friend of mine and has been for many years, and much of what is written here about his character and the site is simply nonsense. Everyone can have their opinion, but opinions are better based on facts rather than, for example, stating that he knows nothing of Thailand outside of Sukhumvit. An opinion based on ignorance isn't worth anything at all.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He's a friend of mine and has been for many years, and much of what is written here about his character and the site is simply nonsense. Everyone can have their opinion, but opinions are better based on facts rather than, for example, stating that he knows nothing of Thailand outside of Sukhumvit. An opinion based on ignorance isn't worth anything at all.

he is a confessed ex sex tourist and ex sex-pat, fact. his weekly column was ,and possibly still is, mainly concerned with the sex industry; condoning and publicising it. fact.

there is so much more to thailand and life here.

a sad and pathetic man, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2018 at 6:31 PM, gaff said:

'What is Stickman?'

The guy who left Thailand because OZ was so good and his life so much better, but after having understood the <deleted> teacher that he is in any western country, he will just come back telling us how Thailand is good !

I thought it was a stick figure on the internet. xD

Edited by mii maker

25 minutes ago, samsensam said:

he is a confessed ex sex tourist and ex sex-pat, fact. his weekly column was ,and possibly still is, mainly concerned with the sex industry; condoning and publicising it. fact.

there is so much more to thailand and life here.

a sad and pathetic man, IMHO.

I don't think he was ever a sex tourist or sex pat.  He was a married teacher before he wrote the column.  What is wrong with being a sex tourist or sex pat they both bring a lot of money to Thailand's poorest segment of the population. 

• Thanks 1

Post removed.

Once again, please keep it civil and do not make personal attacks on other members.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Given the high removal rate, if this persists the topic will close.

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Mind your own business. You have no clue what is true or what isn't true unless you are in NZ with him.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Again, it is obvious you have never read him. He constantly says that he doesn't indulge in the sex scene and only dabbled in it decades ago. He reports news, and often speaks out against many of the practices in the nightlife scene - crooked owners, corrupting influence on the girls, high prices, poor attendance at the bars. If that is condoning it then you have a different dictionary to me

As I said before, an opinion based on ignorance isn't worth anything at all.

Anyway, I'm done with this. He doesn't waste his time defending himself as it's pointless, and nor will I. You cannot reason with a closed mind.

I like the current ad advertising for Ladyboy Dating. That is some real literary genius there!

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's always been about money Barry so why not tell the truth?

Just because he is a friend of yours really means nothing.

His moral compass and wantonness to do anything for money spells out what kind of person he is.

Why else would he have a big ad advertising Lady Boy Dating on the first page today?

Still trying to make money off the Bangkok Nightlife even though he doesn't even live there any more.

Times must be hard in NZ!

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

The ads that pop up in your browser are what google determines you will be interested in based on your browsing history.

Not if you have "tracking" turned off or use a different ad placement service.