Black T-shirt detainee gets to see her sons

webfact

Black T-shirt detainee gets to see her sons 

By THE NATION

e8bc32ba3c1528b297d70d91b42a71f6.jpeg

THE TWO young sons of a woman arrested for distributing T-shirts the authorities deemed “politically offensive” were allowed to see her yesterday for the first time since she was placed in detention at a military camp four days ago.

The boys, ages 14 and nine, were able to visit their mum Wannapa – whose surname the Army is withholding – at the 11th Military Circle in the company of Angkhana Neelaphaijit of the National Human Rights Commission.

Military officers arrested Wannapa, 30, a motorcycle-taxi rider, in her rented room in Samut Prakan early last Thursday morning.

She had in her possession a black T-shirt bearing a small red-and-white emblem on the upper left front, a “flag” alleged to be the symbol of a group calling itself the “Federation of Thai States”.

The woman has been detained ever since at the same military base where critics of the junta were routinely taken for “attitude adjustment” in the weeks and months following the 2014 coup. She has not been formally charged with any offence.

The Thai Lawyers for Human Rights Centre quoted Wannapa’s boyfriend as saying she had never attended any political gatherings or participated in any political activity.

The two sons were allowed to visit her for about an hour yesterday, with military officers present the whole time.

Angkhana said the boys’ guardian asked her to accompany them to meet their mother. She was told the boys were under stress because of their mother’s enforced absence.

“I would like to thank the concerned authorities for facilitating this visit,” Angkhana said.

She said the boys were more relaxed and hopeful afterwards. 

Wannapa was being held in a room with a toilet and was under the watch of two female military officers, she said, adding that Wannapa told her sons she was fine and they mustn’t worry.

A military officer said a 2015 junta order gave military officers the power to detain suspects for questioning for up to seven days.

Wannapa would be turned over to police for further legal action tomorrow or on Wednesday, he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The Thai Lawyers for Human Rights Centre said another woman, identified only as Surangkanang, was also arrested for allegedly distributing the offending T-shirts, but she was released after 13 hours.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30354082

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-10

A post referring to the current Thai government as a dictatorship has been removed from this thread.

Please be reminded of the following from the pinned topic in the Thailand News Forum:

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

Posters violating these rules and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

Please check the entire list of forum rules: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

A reminder, just in case it was needed, of the misuse and abuse of power handed to the army by the NCPO.

"A military officer said a 2015 junta order gave military officers the power to detain suspects for questioning for up to seven days."

Many countries have "state of emergency " rules that they find are so useful that they are quicker to impose them than to rescind them.  Enough said!!!!

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

this is the new reality of the new thailand; sure the old thailand had it's ugly warts but the new version , just as surely, looks uglier

Much uglier.

The people in power are running scared.

Anything & everything out of the ordinary spooks them.

In this instance a plain black t shirt with a little red & white flag in the upper corner.

Nothing more, nothing less.

But it could start a revolution....

• Like 1

Embassies should now warn all citizens of countries bearing the red and white colors - like Indonesia, England, Austria, Switzerland, Japan, Canada e.g. not to display these colors on T-shirts or luggage (Canadians in particular! - sorry I could not resist!) ) or they could be blindfolded, abducted and disappeared in a military camp!

American “Republicans” disguise yourself as Democrats or you could meet the same fate!

Joke aside - I think it is about time that the International community with their embassies on the forefront start to recognize what is going on in this country and action before this is becoming another Cambodia!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

There is the Malaysian federation of 13 states and three federal territories that lie approximately adjacent to three Thailand Muslim majority provinces (similar to "states"). Prior to their forced annexation by Thailand, those three "unincorporated" areas hoped for annexation into the Malaysian federal territories. But Britain decided otherwise. So by a stretch of the imagination or fear by an ultra-nationalist military government, the Federation might be viewed as a Muslim rebellion to current rule by the Kingdom of Thailand.

In reality there is no such thing as a "Federation of Thai States" that you'll find commonly in any literature nor do even the Muslim insurgents in southern Thailand advocate a "Federation of Thai States." In fact during Thai negotiations with the insurgents during Yingluck's regime, the insurgents advocated semi-autonomy for their provinces within the Kingdom of Thailand.

My suspicions were exactly right.   I know the religious history but I didn't specifically recognise the political name.  The lady's mode of dress in the accompanying picture deepened my suspicions.  Paranoia or not any government would take seriously any group supporting a movement that had killed so many people.  It may be a justifiable cause in some respects but it would be seen internationally as a slippery slope to be exploited everywhere possible.  Would it work for Thailand or even Malaysia to have three self governing caliphates?  Could Malaysia even control them if they got ideas about full Sharia law in Malaysia.?

Edited by The Deerhunter

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

So the shirts had a small symbol signifying '“Federation of Thai States”.  I see shirts almost hourly with Hitler's mug on them; obscene messages which the wearer obviously does not understand; beer (sorry - soda water) advertising.  There's a suspicion of paranoia here.

Hitler does not ring any bells of concern here now.  But they do.  Judging from what I see worn in temples I guess most Thais have no idea what their tee shirts say.  It' s just "Words in English.  That's cool."

I just googled it using Opera and found out it is called: The Organization for Thai Federation (OTF). I did not know about this group before. Underneath the Thai description, there is a good translation in English.

As the Thai ranking for the freedom of press is ranked 140 out of 180, I surely I will not place a link, or even write my opinion about this group. But it was worth reading, like everything which is new to me. I cannot believe the paranoia about these shirts; these two ladies probably did not know, what they were wearing, nor I see that this group will ever change the political landscape in Thailand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

My suspicions were exactly right.   I know the religious history but I didn't specifically recognise the political name.  The lady's mode of dress in the accompanying picture deepened my suspicions.  Paranoia or not any government would take seriously any group supporting a movement that had killed so many people.  It may be a justifiable cause in some respects but it would be seen internationally as a slippery slope to be exploited everywhere possible.  Would it work for Thailand or even Malaysia to have three self governing caliphates?  Could Malaysia even control them if they got ideas about full Sharia law in Malaysia.?

Er, dude, the woman you are referring to is the lawyer accompanying the kids.

The "perp" is the woman who's head is blurred out.

This has nothing to do with the deep South, and everything to do with stuff we can't talk about.

Allegedly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, dude, the woman you are referring to is the lawyer accompanying the kids.

The "perp" is the woman who's head is blurred out.

This has nothing to do with the deep South, and everything to do with stuff we can't talk about.

Allegedly.

I stand corrected.   I will go stand in the classroom corner for 1/2 hour with either a funny paper hat or a tinfoil one.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 9/10/2018 at 2:57 PM, fullcave said:

Brings Orwell's Animal farm to mind. 

Prayuths favourite book at the moment although it is clear that his intellect is not really up to understanding much about books with long words.

His lexicon hardly goes beyond monosyllabic words like : gun , kill, me , them , hate , I Me, them ,bad

etc.

The woman has been detained ever since at the same military base where critics of the junta were routinely taken for “attitude adjustment”

I don't see what all the fuss is about, didn't Germany have similar schemes in place in the 1930s?

What could possibly go wrong?

Bit much this, detained without being charged simply for a t shirt. Surely there's some form of human rights abuses going on here. 

I noticed that I've seen very little about the Thai teams 13-0 loss to the US the other day. I remember when North Korea were humiliated by Brazil in a WC match and the totalitarian regime there covered it up with false reporting. When I read stories about what Thailand is doing to its people they appear to have more and more in common with their north Korean comrades daily. It's all good though as Thais are also trying to be like the South Koreans and that's why everyone is trying to look like a K-Pop member, even the middle aged Bangkokian men with children.