Alleged Koh Tao rape victim in her first interview accuses police of suppressing truth 

Jonathan Fairfield

Alleged Koh Tao rape victim in her first interview accuses police of suppressing truth 

The Nation

n1.jpeg

File Photo

IN HER first media interview, a 19-year-old British teenager has stuck to her claim that she was drugged, robbed and raped during her vacation on Koh Tao in June and accused authorities of trying to suppress the truth. 

The unidentified teenager also warned other young people to stay away from the island, off Surat Thani province, in an interview with The Times.

In the story published on September 8, she said that Thai authorities tried to publicly discredit her rather than investigate her claim and did not offer basic support or forensic checks.

She accused them of suppressing the truth about the brutal attack, during a gap year holiday over the summer, because it would have a negative impact on tourism.

The alleged victim, from London, said: “I would urge other young people to stay away. I would never feel safe going back to Koh Tao.

“I wouldn’t tell people not to go to Thailand in general, it is one of my favourite countries. But it is a beautiful place with a dark side that blinds you.”

She told The Times that she was attacked in the early hours of June 26 on Sairee beach, the same place where British tourists Hannah Witheridge, 23, and her friend David Miller, 24, were bludgeoned to death in 2014.

However, Thai police who investigated the claim concluded that no rape took place.

The teen’s rape claim hit the island’s reputation as a beach paradise popular with foreign backpackers, following the brutal murders of the two British backpackers.

The teenager has claimed that she tried to file a complaint with Thai police about the rape but they refused to document it. However Thai police maintain she only mentioned the robbery of her belongings.

She then returned to London in early July and alerted her mother who filed a complaint with police in the UK and handed over clothes she wore on the night of the attack.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354134

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-10
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

She keeps making the claim and it’s not that I do not believe her but it has been long enough to run DNA testing on piece of clothing she supposedly has and surely if there was something she would have or UK police would have said something .

just one big mess with he say, she say that keeps on running in circles 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Under the circumstances with the way the Thai police have acted on this case, yes, you're WRONG!

Just look at the headline in today's news....

Whether or not the woman's allegations here are true, their conduct in this has been disgraceful.

No more disgraceful than the girl who will not submit to an interview with the authorities that she is complaining about, even in London, and talking to them is the only way that this will be resolved.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

She keeps making the claim and it’s not that I do not believe her but it has been long enough to run DNA testing on piece of clothing she supposedly has and surely if there was something she would have or UK police would have said something .

I'm not a Brit, so I don't follow the UK news as close as others here...  But I haven't heard anything from the British police re this case since it first arose, including anything about what if anything they're doing with the supposed DNA evidence.  Have I missed anything on that?