Alleged Koh Tao rape victim in her first interview accuses police of suppressing truth 

Jonathan Fairfield

Has anyone here actually bothered to listen to the interview she gave to The Times (part of the same news group as The Sun that originally reported the Samui Times article)?  

She claims that she was drinking with her friends and wanted another rum and coke but felt drowsy and told them that she wanted to go back to the hostel.  A male friend, whose name was bleeped out, accompanied her. 

She claims that he then said that he also felt drowsy so they sat down on the beach (what were they on the beach for?) before she woke up some time later apparently unaware of where she was and in disarray.   She claims that after waking from a drugged, unconscious state she saw "a man" there who walked away.  There was "a man" there with her before she lost consciousness (the one who was supposed to be seeing her safely home) where had he gone? She then made her way back to her hostel.

Why did that male friend take her to the beach, not directly back to the hostel where they were sharing a dormitory with several other people  when she really wanted to go home and he knew that she was drowsy?  Did they want some privacy?   He wasn't there when she woke up so why did that male friend leave her alone, unconscious on the beach?  Some friend.

Maybe he knew that when she woke up she'd be in pain and he would have to explain some circumstances?  Maybe not.  Maybe he was the one she saw when she regained consciousness and he legged it?  Maybe not. Rationally, he should be subject to some very serious interrogation.

Whatever happened or didn't happen, this girl's story, and her friend's, stinks.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a pity there is no emergency number one can call in such a situation for advice and if is something like this actually call the right people to start kicking butts...

If you need consular assistance, call the FCO on (+44) (0)207 008 1500

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, I don't, obviously, but neither do I believe that a woman who claims to have been raped (on a beach during a high tide) but refuses police interviews even in the safety of her own country and assisted by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, retains any credibility. 

Can you give something to back that up ?

Like a link to a news source or something

15 minutes ago, Basil B said:

It is a pity there is no emergency number one can call in such a situation for advice and if is something like this actually call the right people to start kicking butts...

If you need consular assistance, call the FCO on (+44) (0)207 008 1500

There is an emergency number, the Embassy here 02 305 8333!  At least the Embassy is in the same time zone.

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Has anyone here actually bothered to listen to the interview she gave to The Times (part of the same news group as The Sun that originally reported the Samui Times article)?  

She claims that she was drinking with her friends and wanted another rum and coke but felt drowsy and told them that she wanted to go back to the hostel.  A male friend, whose name was bleeped out, accompanied her. 

She claims that he then said that he also felt drowsy so they sat down on the beach (what were they on the beach for?) before she woke up some time later apparently unaware of where she was and in disarray.   She claims that after waking from a drugged unconscious state she saw "a man" there who walked away.  There was "a man" there with her before she lost consciousness (the one who was supposed to be seeing her safely home) where had he gone? She then made her way back to her hostel.

Why did that male friend take her to the beach, not directly back to the hostel where they were sharing a dormitory with several other people  when she really wanted to go home and he knew that she was drowsy?  Did they want some privacy?   He wasn't there when she woke up so why did that male friend leave her alone, unconscious on the beach?  Some friend.

Maybe he knew that when she woke up she'd be in pain and he would have to explain some circumstances?  Maybe not.  Maybe he was the one she saw when she regained consciousness and he legged it?  Maybe not. Rationally, he should be subject to some very serious interrogation.

Whatever happened or didn't happen, this girl's story, and her friend's, stinks.

It sounds like the story of someone who has been drugged and raped. 

It sounds like a complaint that a police force should record if made to them. A complaint that should be properly and professionally investigated. But Thai Police have already announced that no crime took place ... and that the girl, someone they never properly interviewed, is lying. Another crime on a tourist in Kho Tao. Every character involved should be investigated. You think her friend’s story stinks? Do you have a record of his story? The story in the Times is hers, not anyone else’s.

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Can you give something to back that up ?

Like a link to a news source or something

Yes, I can.   She has not been interviewed by the RTP!   Neither has she made a rape complaint even though the RTP have offered to interview her in London.  If she had been interviewed you'd have heard about it.

You want a link to a source that is reporting something that hasn't happened?  Perversely, every single media outlet internationally has not reported her interview with the RTP so I suppose there's your links.

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

It sounds like the story of someone who has been drugged and raped. 

It sounds like a complaint that a police force should record if made to them. A complaint that should be properly and professionally investigated. But Thai Police have already announced that no crime took place ... and that the girl, someone they never properly interviewed, is lying. Another crime on a tourist in Kho Tao. Every character involved should be investigated. You think her friend’s story stinks? Do you have a record of his story? The story in the Times is hers, not anyone else’s.

I think her story stinks also, not just the bloke's who knew that she was drowsy but took her to the beach and left her there unconscious. 

" Do you have a record of his story?"

Try listening to her interview in the link in the OP!  That's where I got it from!

18 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I think her story stinks also, not just the bloke's who knew that she was drowsy but took her to the beach and left her there unconscious. 

" Do you have a record of his story?"

Try listening to her interview in the link in the OP!  That's where I got it from!

You said his story stinks? But you have not heard his story, only hers? So what are you talking about?

29 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, I can.   She has not been interviewed by the RTP!   Neither has she made a rape complaint even though the RTP have offered to interview her in London.  If she had been interviewed you'd have heard about it.

You want a link to a source that is reporting something that hasn't happened?  Perversely, every single media outlet internationally has not reported her interview with the RTP so I suppose there's your links.

You claim to have listened to her interview? In her statement to the Times she is saying quite clearly that she did report the rape to the Police, but they would not register her complaint. It appears that in your world only the Royal Thai Police tell the truth? Everyone else is a liar. 

When the current Thai Prime Minister took office he said that he would clamp down on corruption, including Police corruption. The fact that he made that statement suggests that it exists. So why automatically take the word of a Policeman in, of all places, Koh Tao ... possibly the most corrupt place in Thailand? 

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Jesus, it's been published in at least two papers.

It was published in one paper and that was subsequently copied in the second paper.

AFAIK there's been no official, direct, public statement from the RTP or any other Thai authority saying specifically that they are offering her a safe interview in the UK. Furthermore, no ranking policeman's name has been linked to such offer in either of these newspapers. Absolutely none.

Unless of course you can find a link that confirms otherwise.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

And then be sent to jail in order to save someone’s face? I can never quite work out people like you ... you’ve probably been in Thailand a long time but seem to think that the girl’s claims will receive a proper investigation? 

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Yes, you are completely wrong. All the Thai authorities have done is spent time trying to make the complaint go away and blame the victim. The island is run by criminals and the Thai authorities have no interest in seeking the truth ... as you might find out one day.

Total and utter rubbish and hogwash. Why don`t you look at the facts instead of spreading more fake news.

All the Thai authorities have done is asked the girl to make her report in person to the correct authorities on Koh Tao. Any person who is a victim of a serious crime has to make a statement in person a.s.a.p. after an alleged crime is committed. The police even sent in the top man to investigate inviting the girl to make a report in person. What else do you expect the police to do? And also her tee-shirt and any other clothes she was wearing at the time (very little the report said) does not prove she was raped. The alleged incidence took place close by where the British couple were murdered several years ago. So what? This again proves nothing.

The reason the Thai police may have regarded her rape claim as non-credible is because her story is weak and full of holes and she knew this from the very beginning. The best she can now come up with, is a statement warning people not to visit Koh Tao as Jane Doe. No matter, as at least her mother believes her.

As I`ve already said and continue to say; the girl won`t be making an appearance to clarify her drugged and rape claim at any time soon.

If the Thai police would have arrested a Burmese or another foreigner on suspicion of the crime, the western media would have accused them of covering up for the real Thai culprits. If they had arrested a Thai on suspicion of the ALLEGED rape, idiots would have stated that as Thainess on facebook, but still had been accepted as fact. If the girl had come forward and the police found no evidence and no witnesses to substantiate her story, the police would still had been been accused of a cover up. In other words the Thai police are in a no win situation whatever they do.

It is a fact that young people visit these islands and attend full loon parties to do drink and drugs and get laid, these are the facts. This places them in extremely vulnerable and dangerous situations. They go there to party and many get into situations they can`t handle. It`s the old saying; I did this or that the night before, but I hated myself in the morning with regrets.

17 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Total and utter rubbish and hogwash. Why don`t you look at the facts instead of spreading more fake news.

All the Thai authorities have done is asked the girl to make her report in person to the correct authorities on Koh Tao. Any person who is a victim of a serious crime has to make a statement in person a.s.a.p. after an alleged crime is committed. The police even sent in the top man to investigate inviting the girl to make a report in person. What else do you expect the police to do? And also her tee-shirt and any other clothes she was wearing at the time (very little the report said) does not prove she was raped. The alleged incidence took place close by where the British couple were murdered several years ago. So what? This again proves nothing.

The reason the Thai police may have regarded her rape claim as non-credible is because her story is weak and full of holes and she knew this from the very beginning. The best she can now come up with, is a statement warning people not to visit Koh Tao as Jane Doe. No matter, as at least her mother believes her.

As I`ve already said and continue to say; the girl won`t be making an appearance to clarify her drugged and rape claim at any time soon.

Did you have a straight face when you composed the above nonsense? The girl made a statement to the Times newspaper. She stated very clearly that she did indeed report the rape in person to the Police in Koh Tao, but the Police would not register her complaint. You prefer to take the word of the Koh Tao Police? You think they are credible? You say that the clothes she was wearing do not prove rape? They have never been forensically examined. When the Police refuse to record her complaint they will not be interested in examining her clothing forensically. Clearly, you know nothing.

The Police send in their top man? Did the appropriately named Big Joke speak to the girl? Yet he is happy to go to the media and claim not only that no crime took place but also that the lying girl should be banned from Thailand for blemishing the good name of Koh Tao. Top guy, or just a guy looking to sweep this incident under the carpet? As the Thai Police refused to register her story how can you or anyone else claim that it is full of holes? 

Given that the RTP have publicly called her a liar what on earth would motivate her to come to Thailand only to receive rough justice on a corrupt and criminal island? Given the history of that island and the travesty of the two Burmese men it's not that surprising.

But keep on doing your bit for your beloved Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

If the Thai police would have arrested a Burmese or another foreigner on suspicion of the crime, the western media would have accused them of covering up for the real Thai culprits. If they had arrested a Thai on suspicion of the ALLEGED rape, idiots would have stated that as Thainess on facebook, but still had been accepted as fact. If the girl had come forward and the police found no evidence and no witnesses to substantiate her story, the police would still had been been accused of a cover up. In other words the Thai police are in a no win situation whatever they do.

It is a fact that young people visit these islands and attend full loon parties to do drink and drugs and get laid, these are the facts. This places them in extremely vulnerable and dangerous situations. They go there to party and many get into situations they can`t handle. It`s the old saying; I did this or that the night before, but I hated myself in the morning with regrets.

Thank you for that essay on victim blaming. Any young girl who goes to Thailand goes to take drugs and get laid? That is a fact? So no one could possibly be raped ... they are all really just "asking for it"? 

Another apologist for rapists and criminals. 

Did you have a straight face when you composed the above nonsense? The girl made a statement to the Times newspaper. She stated very clearly that she did indeed report the rape in person to the Police in Koh Tao, but the Police would not register her complaint. You prefer to take the word of the Koh Tao Police? You think they are credible? You say that the clothes she was wearing do not prove rape? They have never been forensically examined. When the Police refuse to record her complaint they will not be interested in examining her clothing forensically. Clearly, you know nothing.

The Police send in their top man? Did the appropriately named Big Joke speak to the girl? Yet he is happy to go to the media and claim not only that no crime took place but also that the lying girl should be banned from Thailand for blemishing the good name of Koh Tao. Top guy, or just a guy looking to sweep this incident under the carpet? As the Thai Police refused to register her story how can you or anyone else claim that it is full of holes? 

Given that the RTP have publicly called her a liar what on earth would motivate her to come to Thailand only to receive rough justice on a corrupt and criminal island? Given the history of that island and the travesty of the two Burmese men it's not that surprising.

But keep on doing your bit for your beloved Thailand. 

Sorry, missed that. So her story has changed, has it?  At first the girl said she only reported losing or had a phone stolen to the Koh Tao police to make an insurance claim and she later tried to report she was raped to the Koh Samui police. I am also calling her a liar and that she had an ulterior motive for alleging she was drugged and raped.

6 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Thank you for that essay on victim blaming. Any young girl who goes to Thailand goes to take drugs and get laid? That is a fact? So no one could possibly be raped ... they are all really just "asking for it"? 

Another apologist for rapists and criminals. 

More rubbish. Please don`t try to manipulate my posts. I stated very clearly that;  "It is a fact that young people visit these islands and attend full loon parties to do drink and drugs and get laid, these are the facts. This places them in extremely vulnerable and dangerous situations. They go there to party and many get into situations they can`t handle: I have not suggested this covers young people`s visits to Thailand in general.

Many thousands of young tourists visit these islands each year without incident, but if some westerners consider the Thai police are incompetent and corrupt, and that these tourist islands and resorts are dangerous places, then the easy solution is to stay away, because if unfortunate enough to become a victim of a crime, that can happen to anyone, at anytime, at any place, they have to deal with the juristic authority where the crime took place. Or is that too hard for you to understand?

11 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Sorry, missed that. So her story has changed, has it?  At first the girl said she only reported losing or had a phone stolen to the Koh Tao police to make an insurance claim and she later tried to report she was raped to the Koh Samui police. I am also calling her a liar and that she had an ulterior motive for alleging she was drugged and raped.

Clearly every foreign girl that goes to Thailand is either an insurance scammer or a nymphomaniac who is just asking for it? What a sad little man you are.

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

More rubbish. Please don`t try to manipulate my posts. I stated very clearly that;  "It is a fact that young people visit these islands and attend full loon parties to do drink and drugs and get laid, these are the facts. This places them in extremely vulnerable and dangerous situations. They go there to party and many get into situations they can`t handle: I have not suggested this covers young people`s visits to Thailand in general.

Many thousands of young tourists visit these islands each year without incident, but if some westerners consider the Thai police are incompetent and corrupt, and that these tourist islands and resorts are dangerous places, then the easy solution is to stay away, because if unfortunate enough to become a victim of a crime, that can happen to anyone, at anytime, at any place, they have to deal with the juristic authority where the crime took place. Or is that too hard for you to understand?

Did it ever cross your mind for one second that some young people do not drink or take drugs or act promiscuously? Your "fact" is complete and utter nonsense. So every foreign girl who goes to a full moon party is there for sex and drugs? More nonsense. Less than 20% of UK adults between 19 and 24 have taken drugs within a year. And that's in the home country. I would say that the vast majority would not touch drugs in Thailand as the consequences of doing so are well documented. Your fact is nothing of the kind.

When the girl goes to the Police and reports her rape they refuse to register her complaint. Is that too difficult for you to understand? 

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

Clearly every foreign girl that goes to Thailand is either an insurance scammer or a nymphomaniac who is just asking for it? What a sad little man you are.

Never suggested any of that either. It is amazing through, she had the confidence to report to the Koh Tao police that her phone is missing but the matter of being drugged and raped completely slipped her mind. Oh darn, should have reported that, but must dash have to meet my boyfriend in Koh Samui and maybe I`ll have time to fit in a rape report there.

You have no credible argument, it`s all bull. File it under METOO until if or when something credible materialises.

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

Never suggested any of that either. It is amazing through, she had the confidence to report to the Koh Tao police that her phone is missing but the matter of being drugged and raped completely slipped her mind. Oh darn, should have reported that, but must dash have to meet my boyfriend in Koh Samui and maybe I`ll have time to fit in a rape report there.

You have no credible argument, it`s all bull. File it under METOO until if or when something credible materialises.

Again, you take only the word of the Koh Tao Police about what the girl reported. They were not interested in registering her rape complaint. And why would she not want to leave that island as soon as possible? More victim blaming from you. No change there.

Again, you take only the word of the Koh Tao Police about what the girl reported. They were not interested in registering her rape complaint. And why would she not want to leave that island as soon as possible? More victim blaming from you. No change there.

Rubbish, after rubbish, after rubbish, after rubbish.

Check out the original reports. At no time did the girl report her alleged rape in person at any time to the Koh Tao police. It was the boyfriend and he was told, Ms Jane Doe, has to make the report herself in person. As far as the Koh Tao police were concerned there was no victim because the so-called victim failed to come forward to the correct authority.

28 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Rubbish, after rubbish, after rubbish, after rubbish.

Check out the original reports. At no time did the girl report her alleged rape in person at any time to the Koh Tao police. It was the boyfriend and he was told, Ms Jane Doe, has to make the report herself in person. As far as the Koh Tao police were concerned there was no victim because the so-called victim failed to come forward to the correct authority.

If you don't report your rape to the correct authority then it did not happen ... the girl was raped, she complained to the Thai Police and was not attended to. There is no justice in Thailand. And too many apologists for rapists and criminals on TV. Sad case.

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

If you don't report your rape to the correct authority then it did not happen ... the girl was raped, she complained to the Thai Police and was not attended to. There is no justice in Thailand. And too many apologists for rapists and criminals on TV. Sad case.

Taking an educated guess, the girl probably made a claim of rape to protect her own reputation and not upset her boyfriend. It backfired and getting deeper into the doo dars, she left the country. I also predict that no witnesses will come forward not wanting to get involved with the police and maybe having to make court appearances. I wouldn`t either, especially if I did not consider the chain of events as credible or knew otherwise.

Being a victim of rape is one of the most horrific acts that could ever happen to someone. I strongly believe in a mandatory death sentence for all rapists, especially having daughters myself.  Women that make false claims of rape as far as I`m concern are almost as evil as the rapist themselves. It makes it more difficult for genuine victims of rape to come forward and be believed. 

I have lived in Thailand for several years and feel safer here than I ever did in my native Britain, even brought up a family here, none of us have ever been victims of corruption or crime and have been well accepted into the Thai community where we live. Just like any other countries Thailand has it`s rough areas that are best to stay away from. I would under no circumstances approve of any of my daughters attending a full moon party wherever they maybe held, and surely I don`t need to explain why? Every parent will understand.

To place this in perspective so even a simple mind like you can understand, if a story does not make sense, than in all probabilities, it`s not true and that`s why I`m calling bull on this one.

2 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Taking an educated guess, the girl probably made a claim of rape to protect her own reputation and not upset her boyfriend. It backfired and getting deeper into the doo dars, she left the country. I also predict that no witnesses will come forward not wanting to get involved with the police and maybe having to make court appearances. I wouldn`t either, especially if I did not consider the chain of events as credible or knew otherwise.

Being a victim of rape is one of the most horrific acts that could ever happen to someone. I strongly believe in a mandatory death sentence for all rapists, especially having daughters myself.  Women that make false claims of rape as far as I`m concern are almost as evil as the rapist themselves. It makes it more difficult for genuine victims of rape to come forward and be believed. 

I have lived in Thailand for several years and feel safer here than I ever did in my native Britain, even brought up a family here, none of us have ever been victims of corruption or crime and have been well accepted into the Thai community where we live. Just like any other countries Thailand has it`s rough areas that are best to stay away from. I would under no circumstances approve of any of my daughters attending a full moon party wherever they maybe held, and surely I don`t need to explain why? Every parent will understand.

To place this in perspective so even a simple mind like you can understand, if a story does not make sense, than in all probabilities, it`s not true and that`s why I`m calling bull on this one.

If your daughter is ever raped you'll sing a different tune. But someone else's daughter bringing down the good name of your beloved Thailand ... well, they're obviously just lying, aren't they?

14 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

If your daughter is ever raped you'll sing a different tune. But someone else's daughter bringing down the good name of your beloved Thailand ... well, they're obviously just lying, aren't they?

If God forbid one of my daughters were to become a victim of rape, (it would probably do me in btw), even on Koh Tao, I would be straight in there with her to the police making a report and demanding justice. And if only obtaining negative results I`d be screaming out and seeking as much publicity as possible to obtain justice. Believe me, my daughter and I would not be hiding behind the scenes. Remember, the truth always prevails and liars will always be exposed.

You are just taking this around in circles and trying to place me on the defence. The girl`s story is full of holes and doesn`t make sense. Nothing more to add. Others can draw their own conclusions.

Archived