Alleged Koh Tao rape victim in her first interview accuses police of suppressing truth 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Being a victim of rape is one of the most horrific acts that could ever happen to someone.

Can't agree, ever had your legs broken with a baseball bat?

In fact, there's a huge list of things that could happen to me I'd class as 'more horrific then rape'.

Shark attack, broken back, hand crushed, snake bite, cancer ...... the list of worse things is endless.

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In fact, there's a huge list of things that could happen to me I'd class as 'more horrific then rape'.

Shark attack, broken back, hand crushed, snake bite, cancer ...... the list of worse things is endless.

It seems you missed the words, "one of", in the sentence, "...one of the most horrific acts...".

Unlike the Thai system, in the UK the whole matter is being dealt with confidentially and with sympathy for the victim by the British police. They will not hold press conferences or judge guilt on anyone’s part until the evidence has been gathered and assessed.

If she consents, she will be interviewed by trained investigators to try and establish the facts of her allegations. The shirt will be DNA tested and a profile obtained. There is no national offender DNA database inThailand, unlike the UK, so any match can only be made from a suspect’s sample, which could be difficult if no Thai investigation is assisting.

UK police will cooperate behind the scenes with the Thai police and provide any evidence they find to any Thai police investigation that starts, and there will be diplomatic pressure to start one if the victim’s story holds water. They will also ask to supervise the investigation.

There will probably be push back from the Thai police as they have already declared it a no-crime and don’t like to lose face. Pressure from adverse publicity for the tourist trade could either drive or suppress the investigation. 

Conjecture and supposition are useless in the search for the truth, especially when everyone just jumps on their favourite hobby horse of “she asked for it, she’s lying, the Thai police refused the complaint, everyone is corrupt”. Let the facts come out and the truth will prevail. As I said, it may be difficult with so many vested interests.

14 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Thai cops and authorities trying to suppress the truth?  Well, I never heard of such a thing in Thailand. 

lol

Not like other well know countries where this could never happen (surpressing the truth) everybody tells the truth ...from the President down

14 hours ago, Esso49 said:

This should be interesting as to how the Thai authorities approach the fact that the Times has published this interview. 

How? Very simple how Thai authorities deal with to "save face", what they think: They will ultimately block the newspaper, the same way how they did it with others. Try to get www.bild.de or www.dailymail.co.uk. These major newspapers are candid and frank about what's going on in Thailand and some Thai nationals abroad. The Thai government don't want Thai people to know the truth. My mother told me when I was a young chap: never lie because the truth will always surface.

6 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

It seems you missed the words, "one of", in the sentence, "...one of the most horrific acts...".

Are we talking 'top 10' or what? 

I suppose it's down to personal choice really, and for me, having sex with someone (while drunk or drugged) I wouldn't have actually picked as a sex partner when sober in the day doesn't enter in my personal top 100 of 'horrific happenings' (assuming disease free).

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Are we talking 'top 10' or what? 

I suppose it's down to personal choice really, and for me, having sex with someone (while drunk or drugged) I wouldn't have actually picked as a sex partner when sober in the day doesn't enter in my personal top 100 of 'horrific happenings' (assuming disease free).

What is all this drivel..you are now saying she went with a guy to have anal sex after just meeting them..no wonder you have had your legs broken with a baseball bat.

13 hours ago, JLCrab said:

If the 2 SEP 2014 gruesome murders did not put the kibosh on Koh Tao tourism I don't know why the Thai authorities should be so worked up about suppressing this story.

It was Sep 2014, and in the meantime too much has become too much. Probably not for the Thai Authorities, who are looking for "Quality tourists", but for the local mafia, who has the means to control police work, and who doesn't want to lose too much business, and/or face.

15 hours ago, Happy enough said:

follow up the complaint? jesus. these people aren't animals but you can't just blab shit about shit. come and file the complaint and get the process underway

am i wrong?

Yes you are.  You should know by now that this is Thailand.  That is a basic.  If I were her I wouldn't come within a million miles of the place.  The locals there have already come forward about one particular person of interest who the cops are not interested in and everyone knows why.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Quick recap in case you missed it, she alleges she was drugged and only recalls waking up on the beach naked from the waist down and with some 'smiling' local guy nearby.

Another quick recap in case you missed it, most victims of 'roofies', both male and female tend only to remember things that happened after they wake up.

Actually in the original article it just says a smiling man. People are assuming it means a local but there hasn’t been any clarification yet that I’ve seen. 

14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

RTP, obviously, they're the only ones who can investigate!

'

We have heard nothing of this so-called offer by the RTP to interview her in London which you keep blabbing on about and referring to other than a small piece in some local rag called the Phuket times or something. No MAJOR paper has carried that story.

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Rubbish, after rubbish, after rubbish, after rubbish.

Check out the original reports. At no time did the girl report her alleged rape in person at any time to the Koh Tao police. It was the boyfriend and he was told, Ms Jane Doe, has to make the report herself in person. As far as the Koh Tao police were concerned there was no victim because the so-called victim failed to come forward to the correct authority.

And, being surprisingly aware that the KT police are historically a heavily compromised agent of KT's special interests and not to be trusted, she chose to report it to the KP police.

Subsequently, the KP police refused to file her assault claim on the grounds of their having no jurisdiction over whatever happens on KT. Curiously enough, this claimed lack of jurisdiction did not prevent them from filing her theft/loss claim for something that did happen on KT on not on KP. 

There are no 'original reports' However, there's a quite complex mish-mash of conflicting media reporting with its requisite amount of hearsay and obfuscation. However, I consider the two statements above are quite accurate recollections of what the victim has initially claimed and subsequently reiterated, as well as being published by certain local media outlets and shared online on various persons social media.

The owners of these publications and social media accounts have subsequently been charged with violation of the computer crimes act and had arrest warrants issued.

10 minutes ago, BigC said:

If she didn’t trust the police why didn’t she report to UK embassy.

well I am glad she like thailanf because she is black listed for life

unless she can prove her very weak case 

Yes, very weak. So weak that apparently the police conducted the investigation on the wrong part of the beach. 

I guess there's really no point in doing much until they speak to her or her friend, Martin. Walking around a beach two months later looking for evidence of a rape isn't going to do anything other than appease some local rubes and save face. Must admit, showing pics of the beach with the iPad Pro just screamed professionalism. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I presume you are male.

I will also presume you would not say most of the above if you yourself had been raped.

Give it a go sometime and get back to us in comparison to "hand crushed" or a "snake bite".

Or how about adding "tooth pulled" to your "endless" list?

18 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

Actually in the original article it just says a smiling man. People are assuming it means a local but there hasn’t been any clarification yet that I’ve seen. 

Agreed.

So we are not about wrongly accusing a local or an indigent foreign worker (although the locals would probably prefer it to be the latter). It is indeed possible that a fellow Caucasian committed the act. If that were the case, you would think the RTP would be all over this one like a rash even if it only permits them to grandstand, claim it was all the result of incautious and irresponsible drunk foreigners ignoring the cultural mores of their hosts and absolutely nothing to do with the laughable notion of law enforcement in Thailand.

15 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Apparently she has some article of clothing she will submit for DNA testing.  But unless it contains semen, and not sweat, she could have picked that up anywhere. 

Like she said, she loves Thailand, why on earth would she want to say she got raped, if she didn't, one can understand that after such a horrific encounter, best get off the island to the mainland and then advise police, and we all know what Thai police do, i.e. sit on their a$$e$ unless its time to make the monthly quoter so they then get out and stop drivers checking their registration stickers, no breath testing or vehicle checks to see if they are road worthy.

If she is smart, she will give the evidence to the UK police who can check for DNA from any semen samples and if there is any, she has the task of then trying to convince the Thai police to arrest this person which they won't because all the guy has to say is, the sex was consensual, i.e. unless she also did a blood test not long after being drugged.

She probably knows all of this, but did the right thing to mouth off and tell others to stay clear, sometimes word of mouth, without evidence will do what it is supposed to do IMO.

15 hours ago, Basil B said:

No audio or video recordings of interviews...

One would have thought the local cops would have made sure they were squeaky clean since 2014...

The local Police are under immense pressure to deny everything and anything, now that is has been admitted that there is NO RAPE, Never Was and certainly not recorded by anyone on the island it must be a false story hence the arrest of others for sharing this story. Now RTP deal with the British press the same way and you will get short shrift. 

Truth or not, prosecution or not, justice or not are pretty much irrelevant to the BIB.  Perception is what bothers the authorities here and how they can spin it to cast blame anywhere but at their front door.  Too late methinks as Thailand's perception is well and truly established regardless of how many pockets of paradise actually still exist that aren't overrun by tourists and the criminal element they attract.  Koh Tao was always a favourite many moons ago, now I wouldn't go near the place; it's quite probably as safe as anywhere on the planet but the perception is something quite different.

38 minutes ago, BigC said:

Or go to a hospital. Aside from the crime there was the potential for STDs and pregnancy. 

36 minutes ago, BigC said:

For the same reason that she didn't trust the RTP on KT, she may have been aware that the 'UK embassy' or their representatives could only refer her to the KT police.

I agree that not lodging any formal complaint with any UK authorities while in Thailand has done her absolutely no favors and leaves her with extremely little recourse at this juncture. This will become zero recourse on 25th of this month when the 3-month window for reporting as allowed by Thai law, expires.

It is a moot point anyway as the Bangkopk RTP have already done their investigation and have charged and/or arrested all the case-related miscreants that they need.

4 minutes ago, fullcave said:

She should be blacklisted and prosecuted for tarnishing Koh Tao's stellar reputation! How dare she report getting drugged, robbed and raped! Can't they extradite her back to face just-us? 

The RTP's 'Big Joke' has already very publicly stated that this is his intent.

46 minutes ago, BigC said:

Good luck getting anything other than an answering machine and bill form the Brit Embassy - other than a nice long G&T if you happen to be 'in the know' of course

Archived