Alleged Koh Tao rape victim in her first interview accuses police of suppressing truth 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Geez...

I'm not caught up on the nationality, I commented once initially to someone who incorrectly stated that she said he was Thai.  I didn't bring it up

"Police in any civilized country wouldn't just declare no rape happened".

They might if the girl refused to be interviewed by investigating officers and had no corroborating evidence.

"Have some empathy for Christ's sake".

Why?  Empathy for what?  An alleged rape with no evidence by an alleged victim who wilI not be interviewed by the only agency that can make a case?

Even if I wanted to I couldn't empathise with her as I can't share the feelings of someone who has alleged she was raped but I could sympathise.  As it is, I don't sympatise as I don't believe her story makes logical sense.  I've already said here that if it turns out I am wrong about my opinion, I'll very happily apologise to her.  Pretty sure I won't have to, though.

"The last thing you wanna do is accuse a person who said they've been raped of being a liar. It doesn't work like that and for good reason". 

That may be the last thing that you'd want to do and I wouldn't want to either if there was any sign of any credibility, so far there isn't in my opinion, and that of a few others.  Sometimes it does actually work like that.

So don't worry if someone says a 'Thai guy'. Nobody needs you protecting the good name of Thai men and you're not a moderator. Take it up with The Sun Newspaper. 

I know you don't have empathy. You're only concerned with semantics and getting into p****** contests to win/save face. Quite similar to the very 'agency' who can make a case. 

You can empathise with someone who has been 'genuinely raped'. It doesn't have to be someone who is alleging rape. Do this and you might realise that being raped isn't a matter of just waking up and thinking, "Right, I got raped last night. Better go to the police station first. I'll tell my family later and then get a lawyer so I can get my story straight and leave no stones unturned. Then off to the pub for a well deserved pint. Bosh!". If only life was that simple, huh?  

Again, if someone says they've been raped and you don't believe them because there's no evidence, you can relish quietly in the knowledge that no one will ever be convicted for it and 'you were right'. You don't have to go round shouting at people and telling them that you don't believe it happened; ergo, it didn't happen. This will just add to deterring people who really have been raped and don't have the courage to speak to the police. You know, "if I can't prove it I'll be looked down upon"

Read up on the psychological effects of rape. You might realise that life can be inconveniently nuanced. 

1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

Its utter rubbish that this is not about the nationality...its all about it!!...why do people call it mafia run island and slate the place, you saying its foreign mafia now?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The point being made by the writer was a simple one. He doesn't care what nationality the accused is, as long as there is a professional and honest investigation. In other words serious detectives whose only objective is discovering the truth and ensuring that justice is served ... and not in protecting vested interests or the reputation of the country. 

19 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

The point being made by the writer was a simple one. He doesn't care what nationality the accused is, as long as there is a professional and honest investigation. In other words serious detectives whose only objective is discovering the truth and ensuring that justice is served ... and not in protecting vested interests or the reputation of the country. 

a professional and honest investigation with next to no details? ok. so can you explain the details of this 'crime' as you have read it as every source i read is slightly different. am i missing out on something here. where were the details apart from the press? who's doing the charging?  is this accusation even being followed up either by the british or the thai police?

And it should be, However via st, fb, tv its already the same people!
Ive not read 1 comnent on here from any of the tao bashers to say maybe it aything other than the so called 'tao mafia'.
Its case closed as far as they are concerned

I believe her and IMO getting off the island before trying to report the alleged rape was completely understandable and sensible, at least she is alive.

The comments on here against her are shocking, any wonder some rape victims just suffer in silence.  Yes there needs to be an investigation but who on here hand on heart trusts the KT police to do that ethically.

I love traveling in Thailand and really like the Thai and Burmese people however there are a lot of Thais on Koh Tao who are different to the vast majority of Thais.  They are at best rude and unhelpful and at worst dangerous.  People supporting the girl are not against Thailand or the Thais.  I personally just want the well known KT criminals to be dealt with so tourists can be safe and the island prosper.

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"The Times had her recorded as saying she she woke up and saw 'a man'".

I know, that's what I said!  It was some other poster who lied and misquoted " Thai man" from the video.

"The Sun also said that she said she'd been robbed. She said in the interview with The Times that her stuff (phone, etc) was 'missing'".

That's The Sun for you.  Her mother said, categorically, in her interview that the girl reported "lost" items, not stolen.

"The Times is mostly garbage, but they've only reported what she said in their interview".

Same stable as The Sun! 

Perhaps the "TIMES" is down sizing but not quite as far as the "SUN"

16 minutes ago, cass74 said:

I believe her and IMO getting off the island before trying to report the alleged rape was completely understandable and sensible, at least she is alive.

The comments on here against her are shocking, any wonder some rape victims just suffer in silence.  Yes there needs to be an investigation but who on here hand on heart trusts the KT police to do that ethically.

I love traveling in Thailand and really like the Thai and Burmese people however there are a lot of Thais on Koh Tao who are different to the vast majority of Thais.  They are at best rude and unhelpful and at worst dangerous.  People supporting the girl are not against Thailand or the Thais.  I personally just want the well known KT criminals to be dealt with so tourists can be safe and the island prosper.

then there is the problem. things get caught up in old stories. this is the KT mafia? not sure about that. there's alot of other bad people there. a serial killer on tao? doubtful unless you count in someone that killed more than one person as serial then ok there is still the main case there. dangerous mafia. yeah. what happened to this girl the perps could have been anyone in reality but we end up back to the past. there are gangs of locals that are predators on that island make no mistake, and others. drugging robbing and raping is a pastime to some of them. boys and girls. it's about identifying those groups and it's not just one. one is something that was reported. the reality is much worse but it seems no one wants to follow the steps to nail the perps. imho

Point proved!!

Happy enough -I agree

I don’t think there is a serial killer as such but a lawless gang who do what they like.  They create situations with drugging, rape and robbery and the way they react to situations (somebody challenging their behaviour or disputing change/theft or even an obnoxious customer) can sometimes end up with a death.

For some reason they are allowed to continue doing so.

12 minutes ago, cass74 said:

Happy enough -I agree

I don’t think there is a serial killer as such but a lawless gang who do what they like.  They create situations with drugging, rape and robbery and the way they react to situations (somebody challenging their behaviour or disputing change/theft or even an obnoxious customer) can sometimes end up with a death.

They are recouping some of their investment

28 minutes ago, cass74 said:

Happy enough -I agree

It doesn’t even have to be anyone powerful doing it. Murder and rape are bad for business. It could be some average Joe or Joes doing horrible things - doesn’t matter. The people who run the island don’t want the bad publicity so they have it covered up or dismissed. 

Ironically for anyone who may be covering up crimes to save face or their bottom line, they’re actually just doing irreparable damage. 

"Ironically for anyone who may be covering up crimes to save face or their bottom line, they’re actually just doing irreparable damage."

i agree but when will these shit bags be brought to justice, i'm not even talking about a particular person or familes, all of them.

tip of the iceberg for pretty foreign girls getting so wasted on the beach with their friends loving the local attention, get drugged and filmed and raped. 

now think what the burmese girls had to put up with.

most aren't even sure it happened or they're so confused and traumatized that they can't deal with it.

tip of the iceberg

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

He doesn't care what nationality the accused is, as long as there is a professional and honest investigation.

There is no such thing,

Western authorities always believe the accused man is guilty and should get 20 years (or more), generally, the accusation will be enough to destroy his life/career.

Asian authorities believe it's a trivial offence not worth investigating (even if it happened).

Middle-Eastern countries will jail her for having sex outside marriage.

It doesn’t even have to be anyone powerful doing it. Murder and rape are bad for business. It could be some average Joe or Joes doing horrible things - doesn’t matter. The people who run the island don’t want the bad publicity so they have it covered up or dismissed. 

Ironically for anyone who may be covering up crimes to save face or their bottom line, they’re actually just doing irreparable damage. 
So....if its bad for business and the people running the island are all so powerful then why would they allow some avarage joe to ruin that same business?

8 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

So....if its bad for business and the people running the island are all so powerful then why would they allow some avarage joe to ruin that same business?

I didn't say they were allowing them to do anything. I said they may be covering these kind of crimes up. 

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

a professional and honest investigation with next to no details? ok. so can you explain the details of this 'crime' as you have read it as every source i read is slightly different. am i missing out on something here. where were the details apart from the press? who's doing the charging?  is this accusation even being followed up either by the british or the thai police?

Maybe the news passed you by? Did not Big Joke investigate and declare no crime took place and threaten to ban the girl (he never contacted) from Thailand for besmirching the good name of Koh Tao island? 

Just now, frank83628 said:

Surely its in their interests to do the opposite..catch the person?...or maybe its that there is nothing to cover up or nobody to catch?

Okay, you’re failing to read between the lines, so here’s an analogy for you;

You own and run a successful hotel in a small town far away from the next town. Someone is brutally murdered in your hotel. It looks bad for the hotel. Very bad. Now, you have lots of power, you love money and you have very few morals - what do you do? Have it reported as a murder or cover it up and make it look like a suicide?

Can you see where I’m going with this? 

Surely its in their interests to do the opposite..catch the person?...or maybe its that there is nothing to cover up or nobody to catch?

True, and there is a reason why Big Joke showed up, he was not there to protect the mafia activity , the locals do a good job doing that themselves. He wanted to solve the crime of course, but now it's just reduced to a case with word against word.

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There is no such thing,

Western authorities always believe the accused man is guilty and should get 20 years (or more), generally, the accusation will be enough to destroy his life/career.

Asian authorities believe it's a trivial offence not worth investigating (even if it happened).

It's very difficult to prosecute a rape charge in the UK without witnesses or solid forensics ... and therefore many rapists get away with it. But at least they investigate the matter professionally in most cases, and any individual case is not subject to pressures relating to the impact on tourism and the reputation of the country. It's not perfect but it is taken seriously. In Thailand it appears that they simply don't care, the objective is to discredit the accuser and save face for the nation. With a murder the situation is different ... the tendency is to find a non-Thai to blame, as they can't say it didn't happen ... just like the Burmese guys whose allege that their confession was made after torture and death threats.  

7 minutes ago, balo said:

True, and there is a reason why Big Joke showed up, he was not there to protect the mafia activity , the locals do a good job doing that themselves. He wanted to solve the crime of course, but now it's just reduced to a case with word against word.

That's the best joke of the thread! :cheesy:

7 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Maybe the news passed you by? Did not Big Joke investigate and declare no crime took place and threaten to ban the girl (he never contacted) from Thailand for besmirching the good name of Koh Tao island? 

so the british police aren't following this up? any idea why? and i am not sure that's what he said. can you give any updates? most countries for false accusation carry a penalty and rightly so. do you even know this girls history. as said before i'm inclined to believe her but if you're not going to make the complaint then what can they do??

as is said, did i miss something and she pulled through

so the brave apparent rape victims story becomes dubious

if she was brave she'd have made all hell out of it, i can't see that

another one done

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There is no such thing,

And how do you feel about rape? Do you think it’s trivial? 

11 minutes ago, balo said:

And Big Jokes qualifications for investigating rape are? Busting call centers? Asking to see random dark-skinned people’s passports? Being good at pointing at something in a photo?

I dont need to read between any lines, i know exactly what you and other posters are desperate to be the case, but unfortunately for you there are no serial killers and rapists, motorcycle gangs and what ever else hiding in the bushes waiting for their next victim..every single article thats about a 'suspicious death' on tao is from the same source.... the 'suspicious' part of that has been added by them..and that is fact.

31 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

I dont need to read between any lines, i know exactly what you and other posters are desperate to be the case, but unfortunately for you there are no serial killers and rapists, motorcycle gangs and what ever else hiding in the bushes waiting for their next victim..every single article thats about a 'suspicious death' on tao is from the same source.... the 'suspicious' part of that has been added by them..and that is fact.

Good to know you have all the facts. No need to convince anyone that the world isn’t flat anymore. 

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I'm pretty sure I don't give monkey's about your thoughts, even when, on the odd occasion, not this one, they make sense.  

You need to go and get help, you are obviously either unwell or unbalanced.

Get your fingers off the keyboard and go get some seriously needed therapy........:welcomeani:

Archived