Bangkok Airways removes planned Phuket-Yangon direct flights from schedules

Jonathan Fairfield

Bangkok Airways removes planned Phuket-Yangon direct flights from schedules

p1.jpg

A Bangkok Airways aircraft on the stand at Phuket International Airport. Photo: Bangkok Airways / file

PHUKET: Bangkok Airways has removed from its flight schedule the Phuket-Yangon direct flights that were to launch in November as the route has yet to be confirmed, Bangkok Airways staff told The Phuket News today (Sept 10).

The direct flights were to launch on Nov 17, The Myanmar Times reported Varong Israsena, Bangkok Airways Vice President of Sales, as saying in May. 

That confirmation followed airline President Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth announcing earlier this year that the services would launch in Q4 2018. 

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/bangkok-airways-removes-planned-phuket-yangon-direct-flights-from-schedules-68578.php#IQTI58b7QMHhLo6u.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-10

I am a frequent traveller on regional airlines and I have to give Bangkok Airways a standing ovation for its commitment to service and passengers. Just having returned from Northern Burma I chose to fly out/back into Thailand through Chiang Mai to avoid the endless queues at Thai immigration. 

As facts were, the outbound Chiang Mai-Mandalay had six passengers on board, the return from Mandalay to Chiang Mai saw seven passengers, two of them each way were my wife and me. 

The arrived on time, left on time and must have been losing money hell over heals on these two flights - but a commitment is a commitment. Many other carriers would have cancelled the flights for said reason and rescheduled passengers; in this case a Mandalay-Yangon-Bangkok-Chiang Mai, with mandatory overnight would have been the alternative. All extra costs to be borne by the passenger. 

Hence I am more than delighted to pay a little more for Bangkok Airways, a truly regional boutique airline focussed on the passenger and passenger only; reflected on the assurance of schedule and, apart from that and less important for me, friendly crew and excellent in flight snacks. 

And no, I am in no way related, employed, paid or in any other way connected to Bangkok Airways, apart from being a very satisfied and happy passenger ? 

• Like 1