Starbucks

Badrabbit

58 minutes ago, fullcave said:
17 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You grind the beans and then heat up your machine and then make the coffee and throw away any leftover.  Takes Nespresso about a minute to heat up and pour a perfect espresso.  Steamed milk takes a minute.  I have 13 coffees to choose from every morning depending on my mood from beans all over the world.  How many do you have? 

Nope, you don't have any beans you have a little plastic cup. Bisphenol A (BPA) produced by running scorching hot water through that plastic cup does not enhance the flavor in the slightest (man-boobs are another issue) then you throw away the leftover plastic cup. I can throw my leftover coffee beans in the garden as fertilizer. 

If you are short on time, for about the same price as the Nespresso you could pick up an automated machine and use real coffee beans.

Of course, coffee beans are available from all over the world depending on my mood but my favorite right now is Two Volcanoes Organic Guatemala Whole Bean Dark Roast Single-Origin. Wow, makes unbelievably great coffee but unfortunately not available in the plastic cup version. ? Enjoy.

when he says beans from all over the world it means they are pre-ground and in the nespresso cartridges already.

i had a nespresso machine over 10 years ago in the usa. the cartridges were not overly expensive but guess in thailand they may be. we used to refill them a few times with coffee of our choice. recently there are 3rd party cartridges designed to be refilled.

nowadays a multi cartridge machine seems a better option

626466983_ScreenShot2018-09-14at9_04_34AM.png.b6ae4f67eb3207d4e2f9847c60bee154.png

my current espresso machine below

P_20180914_091840.thumb.jpg.a9cce46ff5cbf813c387f56f6380a695.jpg

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, atyclb said:

when he says beans from all over the world it means they are pre-ground and in the nespresso cartridges already.

i had a nespresso machine over 10 years ago in the usa. the cartridges were not overly expensive but guess in thailand they may be. we used to refill them a few times with coffee of our choice. recently there are 3rd party cartridges designed to be refilled.

It's still just pre-ground coffee filtered through a plastic cup only now you've added fake cream and artificial flavorings! 

That's not espresso, mate, it's Nespresso. ?

Edited by fullcave

12 minutes ago, fullcave said:
38 minutes ago, atyclb said:

It's still just pre-ground coffee filtered through a plastic cup only now you've added fake cream and artificial flavorings! 

the nespresso cartridge is really similar to a portafilter coffee basket but prefilled with ground coffee.  hot water at the same pressure as a conventional espresso machine is forced through the cartridge thus pulling a shot of espresso. the nespresso espresso shot pulled does not contain anything except coffee.  no fake cream or artificial flavorings.

Edited by atyclb

41 minutes ago, atyclb said:

doubt 2.5 euros is the average price for an espresso in italy today. Below is actual data albeit 2013 .  doubt the prices increased by 250%

I was at Tazza De Oror a year ago it certainly was 2.5 or higher.

You may go to some where else ... no accounting for taste

6 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:
59 minutes ago, atyclb said:

doubt 2.5 euros is the average price for an espresso in italy today. Below is actual data albeit 2013 .  doubt the prices increased by 250%

I was at Tazza De Oror a year ago it certainly was 2.5 or higher.

You may go to some where else ... no accounting for taste

average price does not mean places that charge an exceptionally high price. the vast majority of espresso in italy is quite good so inferring the 2.50 place is better is a moot point.

btw that place sells 1 kg of their coffee beans for about 20 euros, not considered overpriced so its likely their retail store jacks up the price of an espresso.  in italy every mc donalds has an espresso bar and quite decent coffee.

i believe i have been to tazza d oro about 15 years ago as the photo looks familiar. nice place, nice coffee but nice coffee throughout italy in general. i cant say their espresso was any better tha the espresso at autostrada restaurants.

Edited by atyclb

I don’t like coffee, I only drink tea , sometimes breakfast tea or sometimes green tea but never coffee.
Well actually I say never but that’s not true, I rarely drink coffee would be closer to the truth. I can only drink coffee with milk and sugar, black unsweetened coffee just doesn’t go down. But it’s still not my preferred beverage.

Wow, I’m glad I got that off my chest, it’s something that’s been bothering me for a long time, I feel free now !, i feel like I have released some negative energy, I feel like I have closure !!

Okay, I’ll stop talking now .

52 minutes ago, fullcave said:

No it is not.  Nespresso does not use plastic cups or fake cream or artificial flavorings.  You are talking about some other machine or company but not Nespresso.  All coffee is pre ground before it's made anyway. 

41 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32There you go - Saturday morning by the Parthenon

P1190677.JPG

P1190679.JPG

hard to forget that place since their storefront says "best in the world" .   sort of amusing

coffee is fine but sort of a tourist trap. 

Edited by atyclb

On 9/12/2018 at 7:44 PM, sebastion said:

Starbucks isn't coffee come on.
Plenty of coffee shops in every beach town on Phuket sells decent coffee.

Starbucks is coffee's cancer.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Coffeee World another Overpriced Coffee shop from OZ, Ridiculous Prices 

Edited by Nice Boyd

31 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

So many other coffee choices here. Why bother with Starbucks.

Best view for watching girls walk by and up the escalator while you charge the phone and use wifi.  It is kind of too bad they don't have the American menu in Thailand though.  They do give you equal on request if you don't want sugar.  My wife says the bagels are better at Au bon Pain all over Thailand like NYC.   I don't know as I prefer to make my own bagels. 

• Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:07 AM, Badrabbit said:

Wow get over yourselves, what is this Coffee Racism!! I enjoy going to a place that is very comfortable with lovely staff that speak English, I sit there for approx 30mins with my 16oz Latte which is very nice(I do not like strong coffee, best part is the milk froth) I'm not just paying for the coffee I'm paying for service, comfortable seats where I can chill and watch the world go by, worth every bht of the 145bht price!

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I go to my local Starbucks on a regular basis and rarely drink coffee (gives me reflux) but do drink their tea, which is ok and their food can do the trick if I am hungry.

But the main reasons are that it is a good meeting place, clean with aircon, good staff, comfortable seats, a newspaper to read and a great view of passing foot traffic!!

Couldn't do without it, BUT the Coffee Club is an alternative, apart from tea served in small cups, and their caramel tarts are orgasmic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2018 at 10:51 AM, Nice Boyd said:

Coffeee World another Overpriced Coffee shop from OZ, Ridiculous Prices 

First saw Coffee World in Bangkok almost twenty years ago but not in Australia, pretty sure they started out in Thailand.

Maybe you're thinking of The Coffee Club or Gloria Jeans, both Australian owned companies with shops in Thailand and Malaysia.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The Starbucks concept is well thought-out. Comfortable furniture, perfect a/c, attentive staff, wide range of drinks and snacks and a no hassle policy of getting people to leave after they've consumed their purchases. Ideal for teaching private students or for completing your dissertation.

That's why my wife favours Starbucks over all other in-mall coffee shops. She likes to relax there while I drink my coffee without feeling any pressure to buy anything when she doesn't want anything. I actually save money because I'm only buying one coffee. Anywhere else that has serving staff I'll always buy 2 and usually drink both of them LOL. Bottom line it's about the most relaxing place to drink coffee.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The Starbucks concept is well thought-out. Comfortable furniture, perfect a/c, attentive staff, wide range of drinks and snacks and a no hassle policy of getting people to leave after they've consumed their purchases. Ideal for teaching private students or for completing your dissertation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

good points. I could never study effectively in public places. in my room with snacks, cola, and music.

On 9/13/2018 at 4:06 PM, biggles45 said:

Regardless of the quality/taste, the thing that surprises me most about Starbucks, is the price especially in the Philippines and Thailand. The price for a medium coffee is close to one third of the daily wage for many locals. In my local Starbucks in AC it is full of school age kids most afternoons, dunno how they can afford it. 

one cup = 20 kids.

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Because I like a strong coffee and the standardized  consistent quality of products & service. The fact that Starbucks is an ethical operation and an , equal opportunity employer is  important for me.

Starbucks offers some of the most consistent service of any food service business. Unlike the mental deficients who work at many of the other chains, whether it be KFC, McDonalds, Dunkin Donut etc. Starbucks personnel are properly trained and are enthusiastic.  Starbucks always gets my order right, and serves me efficiently. The food products while more expensive than elsewhere are of higher quality. The BS claim that  cheap beans are being substituted is nonsense. The company regularly inspects and takes samples. Starbucks has some of the highest quality standards of any chain. 

Many of the caustic comments here seem to be motivated by anger, and are not based upon actual fact. It is not Starbucks fault if some people cannot afford the products. The comfortable ambiance, and  well compensated staff  come at a cost.

coffee aficionados gripe is about over roasted beans. even the greatest bean becomes bitter when roasted too long. I do home roasting usually ethiopian beans. Special taste when done right. all of Thai friends that know Starbucks say my espresso and capuchino is better. agree not everyone has commercial espresso equipment at home.

as a meeting place or relax place its ok but I must bite the bullet drinkingvtheir coffee. also they switched to fully automatic espresso machines infamous for less cream in espresso.