Opening a bank account in Bangkok

16 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

The "human doings" who work at banks can watch a 90-year-old cripple inch into their bank and the first question will be if the expat has a work permit.  It's mind boggling how vapid many of them are.

i think most people in banks ,anywhere, are like robots....so its hard to get past that... 

nevertheless,  i DO  have a bkk bank account in pattaya---- i find them VERY  helpful and efficient..

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Dont give up just because one says "no" you could ask  3 seperate people in a bank the same question and get 3 different answers. Just be persistent, go to another bank branch and you'll get one.......eventually?

The best advice! Don't listen to those who say it is not possible for this or that reason. It is, but you may need to be persistent, persuasive and patient.

Reading a tv posting the other day,seems the guy was having incredible difficulties opening one.In Thailand,nothing seems to have rules across the board for a variety of authorities,even within their own branches. Obtained my account 10 years ago at the time I was on a non o without extension at the Scb here in Phitsanulok.Yes it is only a savings account,but can withdraw from abroad and do worldwide online shopping with my atm debit card,and the staff within my branch are extremely friendly and helpful.

It seems times have obviously changed.

I opened an account at TMB recently, (extension of stay Retirement) lady said no, I pointed out she is incorrect and to please check, she came back and opened no problem.

I got the TMB primarily because they dont charge for out of province use at their ATM's and I dont believe in having all the eggs in one basket ?

To save time in searching for a branch that will open an account be sure to install the Thai bank's mobile app focused towards farangs.  You just enter a particular branch, your name, passport number, click Spin, and the app gives a pre-decision without needing to visit the branch.

image.png.43dd68fcb129531e5b515e0d98215978.png

try to go to very large bank branches. 

don't go into small mall type branches.

don't go around lunch time.

don't talk to the bank tellers.

look for someone at desks and ask to speak to someone who speaks English.      

if no one speaks English then leave. repeat until you find a bank that wants to deal with you.

ask to open a savings account. if they ask for a WP tell them you are on a retirement visa and then have a letter from immigration confirming your address. NEVER tell them they are wrong. Say "Immigration says OK for me."   

make sure you have a operational Thai phone number and your phone with you. bring your passport. get the card of the person who helped you.

Get your ATM card issued on the spot and get your online access setup on your phone before you leave.

BE SUPER NICE AND DRESS LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO A BUSINESS MEETING.

They don't have to give you the time of day so remember that. 

but don't go there with your bar girl girlfriend. :shock1: If you are married it is OK to bring your wife,

unless you are married to a bar girl. :cheesy:

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Haha 1

To save time in searching for a branch that will open an account be sure to install the Thai bank's mobile app focused towards farangs.  You just enter a particular branch, your name, passport number, click Spin, and the app gives a pre-decision without needing to visit the branch.

image.png.43dd68fcb129531e5b515e0d98215978.png

Really? Which bank app?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Got mine with Kasikorn.

Cant rec them as they offer NO interest and fees for everything.

Ive heard the yellow bank pay up to 2.9% interest of late ( maybe thats 'fixed' for 12 months)

You will get one .

Guard your pin number with yr life , always cover yr atm withdrawal transactions with your hand , and opt for the,  'auto  sms message on EVERY withdrawal' option.

KBank charge 200 baht a year for this - worth getting because lots of Thai banks are reticent to look into and compensate for money going missing from yr account ,  if it happens.

You will need a bank statement every year to renew yr extension of Retirement , and for KBank , they say only the branch where you opened the account can provide this , so ask about that , and/or remember to move yr money if you move far away ..