Trump disputes Puerto Rico storm death toll, draws outcry

webfact

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

"i love the dailyfoaming at the mouth of trump haters defenders and this may or may not help in alleviating rabies like symptoms"

Your sources describe some of the many ways to count death tolls following a hurricane.  It doesn't support Trump's claim that the death toll is 6 to 18; no credible source uses such ridiculously now numbers now.  Only Trump.

I think Wapo had an article blaming Trump for the current hurricane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/another-hurricane-is-about-to-batter-our-coast-trump-is-complicit/2018/09/11/ccaed766-b5fb-11e8-a7b5-adaaa5b2a57f_story.html

i guess they'll blame Trump for some 3000 deaths in 2020, revised of course

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

At least 1800 died because of Katrina

Different hurricane. 

Different president. 

Different death toll. 

https://www.britannica.com/event/Hurricane-Katrina

the linked article states NHC attributes 1200 deaths directly to katrina.  that statistic does not include indirect deaths as in this study.

different method.  using the same method for katrina would greatly increase the deaths from that event, maybe into the tens of thousands.  using the same method as katrina for maria would likely show the response under trump was appropriate and effective. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

the linked article states NHC attributes 1200 deaths directly to katrina.  that statistic does not include indirect deaths as in this study.

different method.  using the same method for katrina would greatly increase the deaths from that event, maybe into the tens of thousands.  using the same method as katrina for maria would likely show the response under trump was appropriate and effective. 

The article I posted says 1800 died because of Katrina. I’ll go with that number.

trump’s response to Maria was wholly inadequate and definitely not effective. 

His desire to deny the truth more so. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 1

Trump has a point

The death toll from Maria, the most powerful storm to hit there in almost a century, was raised last month from 64, a number widely discounted as far too low, to 2,975.

That sounds (non) scientific LMAO

It would not matter what the President did, he would be criticised and lies/omissions would be widespread. 

He's an outsider and it's not in the interests of Republicans or Democrats to support him as most of them have their noses to deeply embedded in the swill bin. The arms trade has no more loyal supporters . . . 

MAGA!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

An off topic trolling post about the 2016 election has been removed as well as the replies.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed as well as the reply:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

49 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

I think Wapo had an article blaming Trump for the current hurricane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/another-hurricane-is-about-to-batter-our-coast-trump-is-complicit/2018/09/11/ccaed766-b5fb-11e8-a7b5-adaaa5b2a57f_story.html

i guess they'll blame Trump for some 3000 deaths in 2020, revised of course

Do you understand the difference between opinion (editorial) and news articles?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, RawboneFunksta said:

Trump has a point

The death toll from Maria, the most powerful storm to hit there in almost a century, was raised last month from 64, a number widely discounted as far too low, to 2,975.

That sounds (non) scientific LMAO

It would not matter what the President did, he would be criticised and lies/omissions would be widespread. 

He's an outsider and it's not in the interests of Republicans or Democrats to support him as most of them have their noses to deeply embedded in the swill bin. The arms trade has no more loyal supporters . . . 

MAGA!

My Attorney Got Arrested

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RawboneFunksta said:

MAGA!

I'm pretty sure Putin's rear exit doesn't smell like roses either, not even for the man-child's nose that's been immersed in swill from an early age.

MAWA!!

Putin-Bachelor-meme.jpg

PS. His nose is so far up there you can't even see his tiny orange feet sticking out.

Edited by Becker

Puerto Rico is rife with crooked politicians. The distribution of FEMA support was stolen as fast as the bums could get their hands on it. No trucks or drivers available to distribute what goods there was. This is a sad country and the last thing we need is for these crooks to become a US STATE. Might find FBI cleaning the Island and that would not do well for the crooked politicians and mafia clans. Good luck to the poor citizens who have no control over the crooks.

11 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Puerto Rico is rife with crooked politicians. The distribution of FEMA support was stolen as fast as the bums could get their hands on it. No trucks or drivers available to distribute what goods there was. This is a sad country and the last thing we need is for these crooks to become a US STATE. Might find FBI cleaning the Island and that would not do well for the crooked politicians and mafia clans. Good luck to the poor citizens who have no control over the crooks.

I do recall that drivers and trucks could not learn where they were needed (communications were down all over the island) and often found roads impassable even if they knew where they were needed.

Do you have sources to support your claim that FEMA support was stolen by crooked politicians?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Show us your supporting data.

Do you know what scientific method is?

You don't seem to know what argumentum ad-hominem is, yet you appear to use it freely.

With degrees in mathematics and engineering and a background in aerospace system test, I think I have some grasp of rational, evidence based analysis.  And you?

"ad hominem

An ad hominem, short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attack on an argument made by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, rather than attacking the argument directly."  http://ad hominem An ad hominem, short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attack on an argument made by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, rather than attacking the argument directly.

A poster questioned the people who conduct scientific analysis with an argumentum ad hominem, I replied with another argumentum ad hominem, and now you've replied with the same.  Do you have a point?

Since this topic is not about elevating an idea from hypothesis to theory through testing and attempting to disprove the hypothesis, I'm not sure why you think the scientific method is pertinent.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oldrunner said:

My best mate for many decades is PR.  He would say the same thing and did, many times.  It's not a secret. 

Same kind of thing on Guam - another Bongo Bongo Banana territory, nicked named "The Island of Thieves".  Being a perpetual "developing" country is lucrative when you've got a generous Sugar Daddy with low expectations.  

Then again, can't look down my nose too much.  In the US State I was born in, there are people defecating in the streets now. ?

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

I have no idea, why we are even discussing this bloated, brainless, egomaniacal looser of a sad excuse for a human on this! Even the die hard- Trumpsters will have to twist themselves into pretzels, to get out of this, if they are honest with themselves...but ...of course...therein lies the problem!

Well said, couldn't agree more!

• Thanks 1