"Granny Pigeon" faces the music for feeding the birds in Laksi

webfact

"Granny Pigeon" faces the music for feeding the birds in Laksi

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The lieutenants of the Laksi administration in northern Bangkok have finally had enough of a woman who has been making life a misery for residents in Thung Song Hong by feeding hundreds of pigeons.

Deuanchai has become known as "Granny Pigeon" after the story of her antics was posted online. 

She said that she has been feeding soi dogs for 10 years. Then, being an animal lover, she started feeding the pigeons. 

"At first there was only two or three. Over time more and more came and I had to increase the amount of food I gave them. I never knew I was doing anything wrong". 

Now Khajeerat Jenakhom of the local authority has said enough is enough.

Following a deep clean and disinfecting purge of all the mouldy old dough in the Soi Kamphaengphet 6 area, she has made Granny Pigeon acknowledge that what she is doing contravenes the regulations on public health. 

She faces three months in jail and a fine of 25,000 baht if she persists. 

Deuanchai realizes now that it is not just about number one and that she must understand her neighbors.

"I won't do it again," she told Sanook. 

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-14

People in most countries do not know that pigeons can carry up to three diseases that can be transmitted and cause death to humans.  Thailand is way down in educating people about that and I have never, except my own comments, ever seen anybody say the same.

Amongst others, the following list (courtesy of Wikipedia but which I have known about for over 50 years), provides information regarding some of the problems that can be derived from pigeons:

Examples of transmissible bird diseases associated with pigeons, geese, starling and house sparrows:

• Histoplasmosis is a respiratory disease that may be fatal. It results from a fungus growing in dried bird droppings.
  • Candidiasis is a yeast or fungus infection spread by pigeons. The disease affects the skin, the mouth, the respiratory system, the intestines and the urogenital tract, especially the vagina. It is a growing problem for women, causing itching, pain and discharge.
  • Cryptococcosis is caused by yeast found in the intestinal tract of pigeons and starlings. The illness often begins as a pulmonary disease and may later affect the central nervous system. Since attics, cupolas, ledges, schools, offices, warehouses, mills, barns, park buildings, signs, etc. are typical roosting and nesting sites, the fungus is apt to found in these areas.
  • St. Louis Encephalitis, an inflammation of the nervous system, usually causes drowsiness, headache and fever. It may even result in paralysis, coma or death. St. Louis encephalitis occurs in all age groups but is especially fatal to persons over age 60. The disease is spread by mosquitoes which have fed on infected house sparrow, pigeons and house finches carrying the Group B virus responsible for St. Louis encephalitis.
  • Salmonellosis often occurs as "food poisoning" and can be traced to pigeons, starlings and sparrows. The disease bacteria are found in bird droppings; dust from droppings can be sucked through ventilators and air conditioners, contaminating food and cooking surfaces in restaurants, homes and food processing plants.
  • E.coli. Cattle carry E. coli 0157:H7. When birds peck on cow manure, the E. coli go right through the birds and the bird droppings can land on or in a food or water supply.

'nuf sed 

Archived