Israeli troops kill boy, two men in Gaza protests - medics

rooster59

Israeli troops kill boy, two men in Gaza protests - medics

By Nidal al-Mughrabi

800x800 (1).jpg

A Palestinian holds a sling to hurl stones at Israeli troops during a protest calling for lifting the Israeli blockade on Gaza and demand the right to return to their homeland, at the Israel-Gaza border fence, east of Gaza City September 14, 2018. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem

GAZA (Reuters) - Israeli soldiers killed three Palestinians, one of them an 11-year-old boy, and wounded at least 248 others taking part on Friday in weekly protests at the fortified Gaza Strip border, Palestinian medical officials said.

The Israeli military said it used force necessary to repel 13,000 Palestinians who massed at several points at the fence.

Some hurled rocks, fire-bombs and grenades at troops under cover of smoke from burning tyres, injuring a soldier, and nine Palestinians briefly crossed into Israel, the military said.

Friday's dead brought to 177 the number of Palestinians killed since the sometimes violent demonstrations were launched on March 30 to press demands against Israel. The 11-year-old, Shadi Abdel-Al, is the youngest fatality from Israeli gunfire.

"He used to go every Friday to the marches like thousands of other people. This Friday was his destiny to die as a martyr," the boy's father, Abdel-Aziz Abdel-Al, told Reuters.

Another Palestinian, 28-year-old Hashem Hassan, said he saw Abdel-Al being shot 70 metres (yards) from the fence: "He threw a few stones, which flew just a few yards. He posed no threat."

Asked about Abdel-Al's death, a military spokeswoman said only that troops had kept to their open-fire regulations.

Since March 30, Gaza has also seen shelling exchanges between the coastal enclave's Islamist Hamas rulers and Israel. An Israeli soldier was killed by a Palestinian sniper and Israel has lost tracts of forest and farmland to cross-border incendiary attacks.

Israel's tactics against the protests have drawn international condemnation.

But Washington has backed its ally in accusing Hamas of staging the mass-mobilisation to distract from Gaza's poverty and governance problems and to provide cover for armed Palestinian border incursions. Hamas has denied this.

The Israeli military said that, twice this week, its patrols discovered and dismantled bombs that had been planted for use against them at the fence. Early on Friday, several Palestinians crawled to the fence to throw a pipebomb at troops, who fired back, the military said. There was no word of casualties.

The protesters want rights to lands Palestinians lost during the 1948 war of Israel's foundation, as well as the easing of a crippling blockade that Israel, with the help of neighbouring Egypt, has placed on Gaza to isolate Hamas and deny it weaponry.

U.N. and Egyptian mediators have been trying to reach a deal to calm Gaza, where Israel and Hamas have fought three wars in the last decade. The brokering efforts have been complicated by Hamas's feuding with Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, who has restricted funding to Gaza.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-15

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These transgressions that Israel commit are so typical of a state that practices apartheid . Excessive force , followed by lies , then more lies , then steal more land under the watchful eye of big brother America , and every illegal action is applauded and supported by America.

3 hours ago, mzanzi said:

These transgressions that Israel commit are so typical of a state that practices apartheid . Excessive force , followed by lies , then more lies , then steal more land under the watchful eye of big brother America , and every illegal action is applauded and supported by America.

A bit one sided, my dude.

From the item --

Some hurled rocks, fire-bombs and grenades at troops under cover of smoke from burning tyres, injuring a soldier, and nine Palestinians briefly crossed into Israel, the military said.

So in your country, would soldiers at the border just sit back passively at such violent provocations? Would you really want them to? But if it's Israel, they're supposed to just take it, huh? 

Years ago there was a 'special ammuntion site' in West Germany with two spaced wire fences. Anyone breached the outer fence and warnings were given and containment squads were deployed.

Anyone tried to climb the inner fence live fire was authorised. I see no difference between that and Israel's border fence.

"Another Palestinian, 28-year-old Hashem Hassan, said he saw Abdel-Al being shot 70 metres (yards) from the fence: "He threw a few stones, which flew just a few yards. He posed no threat."

Asked about Abdel-Al's death, a military spokeswoman said only that troops had kept to their open-fire regulations."

Sounds as though there is something wrong with the ID's open-fire regulations when they feel under threat to their lives from a puny 11 yr old who could only throw stones a few meters from 70 meters behind the fence.

The so called border is a unilaterally imposed line internationally officially recognized solely by Israel.

The OP is slightly misleading.
"The protesters want rights to lands Palestinians lost during the 1948 war of Israel's foundation"
The demonstrators do not want to harm or displace any Israelis who have colonized Palestine. They simply want to return to the lands they or their families were born in and from which they have been ethnically cleansed.

There is still plenty of land. 77% of Palestinian land and villages have never been built over by Israel.

An orderly gradual security vetted return of some elderly Palestinians to begin with, and an easing of the collective punishment blockade, would end the protests and the violence.

26 minutes ago, dexterm said:

"Another Palestinian, 28-year-old Hashem Hassan, said he saw Abdel-Al being shot 70 metres (yards) from the fence: "He threw a few stones, which flew just a few yards. He posed no threat."

Asked about Abdel-Al's death, a military spokeswoman said only that troops had kept to their open-fire regulations."

Sounds as though there is something wrong with the ID's open-fire regulations when they feel under threat to their lives from a puny 11 yr old who could only throw stones a few meters from 70 meters behind the fence.

Sounds as though you see nothing wrong with letting young boys participate in violent demonstrations.

10 minutes ago, dexterm said:

The so called border is a unilaterally imposed line internationally officially recognized solely by Israel.

The OP is slightly misleading.
"The protesters want rights to lands Palestinians lost during the 1948 war of Israel's foundation"
The demonstrators do not want to harm or displace any Israelis who have colonized Palestine. They simply want to return to the lands they or their families were born in and from which they have been ethnically cleansed.

There is still plenty of land. 77% of Palestinian land and villages have never been built over by Israel.

An orderly gradual security vetted return of some elderly Palestinians to begin with, and an easing of the collective punishment blockade, would end the protests and the violence.

You can go on about the border this or the border that as many times as you like. It's not as if the Gaza border will pass somewhere else even if an agreement will be achieved. In realistic terms, all players, including the Palestinian recognize the border. You trying to spin it as some meaningful issue is nonsense.

Your claim about the demonstrators not wanting to "harm or displace any Israelis" is false. There are numerous statements and actions to the opposite effect, even if taking into account just the current protests. Your wholesale rosy version is a lie, or at best, a gross exaggeration.

Your further lies, about there being "plenty of land" to go around is also untrue. All the more so with regard to lands and sites where Palestinian villages used to stand.

Considering the blockade was put in place because of Palestinian "violence" the "reasoning" offered doesn't stand. As for your repeated misrepresentation of the so-called Palestinian right-of-return and what it entails, these were addressed on numerous topics. Obviously, facts are of little interest to you.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

An open and transparent inquest into the death of the 11 year old boy would give Israeli security forces the opportunity to explain what specific threat this child posed and why it was necessary to kill him.

Openess and transparency, the friend of truth and justice.

When you have joined and understand the real world post again.

The idea of a fenced border is national concern and I mean for the two nations on either side of that fence. Nothing to do with any other nation, l don't care if they want to throw rocks or bullets at each other, it's their choice to do so.

I wouldn't go anywhere a neighbour and his wife knocking the crap out of each other, I don't even interfere when my dogs fight each other.

I will say that religious conviction doesn't give you the right to another persons land or control over that land and I've been in the middle of that a couple of times. Believe me talking to either side or instigating 'enquires' as to why whatever happened and how can we stop it in the future is a 100% waste of time, effort and money.

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

An open and transparent inquest into the death of the 11 year old boy would give Israeli security forces the opportunity to explain what specific threat this child posed and why it was necessary to kill him.

The standard issue copy pasted nothing post. Apparently, no such inquires are required of the Hamas - guess having kids on violent protests is alright then. I don't know that most armed forced carry "open and transparent" investigation regarding operations, but that shouldn't pose much an issue for some posters - reality not being what their posts are about.

Carry on.

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

When you have joined and understand the real world post again.

The idea of a fenced border is national concern and I mean for the two nations on either side of that fence. Nothing to do with any other nation, l don't care if they want to throw rocks or bullets at each other, it's their choice to do so.

I wouldn't go anywhere a neighbour and his wife knocking the crap out of each other, I don't even interfere when my dogs fight each other.

I will say that religious conviction doesn't give you the right to another persons land or control over that land and I've been in the middle of that a couple of times. Believe me talking to either side or instigating 'enquires' as to why whatever happened and how can we stop it in the future is a 100% waste of time, effort and money.

The killing by the security forces of a child is a matter for concern.

An open and transparent inquest into the death of the 11 year old boy would give Israeli security forces the opportunity to explain what specific threat this child posed and why it was necessary to kill him.

11 hours ago, Morch said:

The standard issue copy pasted nothing post. Apparently, no such inquires are required of the Hamas - guess having kids on violent protests is alright then. I don't know that most armed forced carry "open and transparent" investigation regarding operations, but that shouldn't pose much an issue for some posters - reality not being what their posts are about.

Carry on.

Standard issue copy and paste whataboutary.

The child was killed by Israel troops while he was in the Palestinian side of the ‘border’ fence.

Why he was where he was is not the question, he had every right to be there.

The question is why did Israeli troops kill him?

This 11 year old child might of course , despite being on the Palestinian side of the ‘border’ fence, presented a specific threat to the security of Israel and/or the lives of Israel troops.

I’m not sure what your reference to the practices of ‘most armed forces’ is meant to be, many of the world’s armed forces cannot in anyway be held up as defenders of anything resembling justice.

Israel however is a democratic nation under the rule of law.

An open and transparent inquest (in a civilian court of law) into the death of the 11 year old boy would give Israeli security forces the opportunity to explain what specific threat this child posed and why it was necessary to kill him.

Your difficulty accepting giving the Israeli security forces the opportunity to openly and transparently explain their reasons for killing this child is perplexing.

Carry on.

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Standard issue copy and paste whataboutary.

The child was killed by Israel troops while he was in the Palestinian side of the ‘border’ fence.

Why he was where he was is not the question, he had every right to be there.

The question is why did Israeli troops kill him?

This 11 year old child might of course , despite being on the Palestinian side of the ‘border’ fence, presented a specific threat to the security of Israel and/or the lives of Israel troops.

I’m not sure what your reference to the practices of ‘most armed forces’ is meant to be, many of the world’s armed forces cannot in anyway be held up as defenders of anything resembling justice.

Israel however is a democratic nation under the rule of law.

An open and transparent inquest (in a civilian court of law) into the death of the 11 year old boy would give Israeli security forces the opportunity to explain what specific threat this child posed and why it was necessary to kill him.

Your difficulty accepting giving the Israeli security forces the opportunity to openly and transparently explain their reasons for killing this child is perplexing.

Carry on.

That you already determine the child was killed by Israeli troops sort of makes the call for inquiries hollow. That this may be otherwise, is apparently, not an possibility as far as you are concerned:

Conflicting reports surround Gaza boy’s death at protest

https://apnews.com/bd9321d3bc9440598489a0ec123a808b

And no, you do not get to dictate what's the "question" - it is perfectly reasonable to raise the issue of minors being present in violent protests, and the responsibility of parents, organizers and authorities regarding such. I don't think there are any inherent rights related to carrying out violent protests or minors partaking. If anything more to the opposite.

I'm also guessing you're trying very hard to ignore that thick, black, cloud of smoke which is a regular feature in these protests. Something to do with Palestinian mass burning of tires and such, and aimed at obstructing view and making it easier getting closer to the fence. The side-effect of other protestors being less visible as well, doesn't seem to register with some posters.

To make a simple comment even clearer - you demand an open and transparent investigation. I'm pointing out that when it comes to military actions such investigations are not a universal norm. It goes toward you expecting Israel to answer to a higher standard. That you have general issues with armed forces is another matter.

Obviously, no meaningful comment, other than lame deflections, as to why the demand is one-sided.

1 hour ago, Morch said:

That you already determine the child was killed by Israeli troops sort of makes the call for inquiries hollow. That this may be otherwise, is apparently, not an possibility as far as you are concerned:

And no, you do not get to dictate what's the "question" - it is perfectly reasonable to raise the issue of minors being present in violent protests, and the responsibility of parents, organizers and authorities regarding such. I don't think there are any inherent rights related to carrying out violent protests or minors partaking. If anything more to the opposite.

I'm also guessing you're trying very hard to ignore that thick, black, cloud of smoke which is a regular feature in these protests. Something to do with Palestinian mass burning of tires and such, and aimed at obstructing view and making it easier getting closer to the fence. The side-effect of other protestors being less visible as well, doesn't seem to register with some posters.

To make a simple comment even clearer - you demand an open and transparent investigation. I'm pointing out that when it comes to military actions such investigations are not a universal norm. It goes toward you expecting Israel to answer to a higher standard. That you have general issues with armed forces is another matter.

Obviously, no meaningful comment, other than lame deflections, as to why the demand is one-sided.

I’ve not determined anything, I’ve simply based my ‘assumptions’ on the report in the OP.

But you are correct the circumstances of the child’s killing are already being contested.

All the more reason for an open and transparent inquest within a civilian court.

You can go whistle with your accusation of me holding Israel to a higher srandard, I’m ‘suggesting’ Israel be held to the standards of Democratic society under the rule of law.

Your accusation that I have general issues with armed forces is groundless.

And by extension the enemy of liars and the unjust.

Your objections are noted.

Carry on.

2 hours ago, Morch said:

>>I'm pointing out that when it comes to military actions such investigations are not a universal norm.
...nonsense! When soldiers or police kill 11 year old civilians it most certainly is the norm to investigate...well, in western democracies that is.

In that there are conflicting reports (according to your link) about the boy's death would it not make sense to have an open and transparent investigation? Otherwise looks like Israel is simply muddying the waters and has something to hide. 

18 hours ago, Morch said:

Sounds as though you see nothing wrong with letting young boys participate in violent demonstrations.

'She said her son had been going to the protests in recent months but she had been opposed. “I banned him but he was going behind our backs,” said the grieving mother.'

https://www.timesofisrael.com/conflicting-reports-surround-gaza-boys-death-at-border-protest/

Most kids at that age do some pretty dumb things without their parents' permission.
Please don't blame the victim.

17 minutes ago, dexterm said:

>>I'm pointing out that when it comes to military actions such investigations are not a universal norm.
...nonsense! When soldiers or police kill 11 year old civilians it most certainly is the norm to investigate...well, in western democracies that is.

In that there are conflicting reports (according to your link) about the boy's death would it not make sense to have an open and transparent investigation? Otherwise looks like Israel is simply muddying the waters and has something to hide. 

I don't think that Israel has anything to hide. IMHO that don't give a rats rectum about world opinion, after all Uncle Sam will always protect them from nasty old big bad world.

Neither the USA nor Israel have signed up to join the ICC and Trump has said that he will sanction any person, business or country who seeks to prosecute ANY US serviceman accused by the ICC of war crimes. He has already threatened the ICC judges to be arrested if they dare to enter the USA.

The USA will veto ANY action against Israel at the UN so in effect Israel can do whatever it likes with no comeback.

Archived