Britain and EU 'closing in' on a Brexit agreement, Raab says

rooster59

54 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

That would be the massive swing that still lost the election.

I'd put my dog-house and bird cage on Labour winning the next election, solely because the younger generation will vote for a different government that would reach a trade agreement with the EU, and many aged leaver voters would have have passed on - and the great unemployed masses north of the Watford gap would realise they're no better off under any Tory government, so they will vote for Labour. 

Regretfully, Corbyn is a fence sitter, but he does connect with the younger generation and workers a whole lot more than any Tory PM. 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

I'd put my dog-house and bird cage on Labour winning the next election, solely because the younger generation will vote for a different government that would reach a trade agreement with the EU, and many aged leaver voters would have have passed on - and the great unemployed masses north of the Watford gap would realise they're no better off under any Tory government, so they will vote for Labour. 

You talk - as do most of the people on this and related threads - as though all the decisive Brexit matters were in the hands of the UK government to settle. But - as the current mob are discovering - actually all the real power in this matter lies in Brussels, Berlin & Paris, and there's not much sympathy in any of those places for the UK's self-inflicted wounds.

Lesson: No matter who's 'in power' in Westminster, the same self-contradictory attitudes & 'red lines' will apply, and the same more or less insoluble problems will still be awaiting the magic touch of a new Superman or ...woman.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They want money, no need to pay them.

People desperate for money are always lacking in power (unless they're prepared to take by force)

Brussels would LIKE some money just to demonstrate to everyone that you can't unilaterally walk away from treaty-status agreements without paying. Their actually NEEDING it or being prepared to SACRIFICE their own 'red lines' for the sake of a few lousy billions is hardly a realistic interpretation.

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

After Brexit, GB can send those who came from Europe only to get on the dole

quickly, back to their home countries. That should save GB lots of dough.

Geezer

Good deal. UK will send the contributing working age people to EU and EU will send the pensionnaires to be treated by UK's healthcare system.

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

You mean as opposed to the last Party conference where Labour blocked any discussion of Brexit.

I have no reason to doubt that this is true.

Shameful for the Labour party, the electorate of whom mostly backed 'leave' - whereas their MPs mostly supported 'remain'.

I wonder why they decided to block any discussion of brexit in public (as opposed to the discussions that undoubtedly happened in 'private')? ?

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:07 AM, rooster59 said:

Britain and EU 'closing in' on a Brexit agreement, Raab says

I guess if you are 100km apart for a year and then only 99km apart for a day this can be technically described as "closing in".

Every journalist should laugh at politicians with those useless remarks. Politicians should say something significant and truthful or shut up!

Back on topic, I am pretty sure that the uk and eu are closing in on some sort of reasonable, brexit trade deal agreement.

Both sides (in terms of individual countries) need a good trade deal - so it's obvious (?) that neither the uk or eu wish to piss off their businesses in individual countries by refusing a trade deal.

The 'interesting' part (at least from my pov) will be what the uk govt. 'gives up' to reach that agreement/how they will explain this to the electorate and what happens at the next GE as a result.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Back on topic, I am pretty sure that the uk and eu are closing in on some sort of reasonable, brexit trade deal agreement.

Both sides (in terms of individual countries) need a good trade deal - so it's obvious (?) that neither the uk or eu wish to piss off their businesses in individual countries by refusing a trade deal.

The 'interesting' part (at least from my pov) will be what the uk govt. 'gives up' to reach that agreement/how they will explain this to the electorate and what happens at the next GE as a result.

Did you see much reasonable thinking and acting especially from UK politicians in the last two years?

Yes, it would make sense to have a reasonable deal. But it seems for many politicians it's about their personal power or maybe the their party. Their country and people seem to be on the bottom of their priority list.

15 hours ago, SheungWan said:

When did forum Brexiteers ever bother make an effort to read BoE publications about anything at all? Better just make scatter-gun comments.

How bitter and twisted some Remainers are!

I just made a comment on a statement made in the article, you know, the article that started this topic. The article that is being discussed here.

Bank of England Governor Mark Carney told the meeting Britain's property market would crash and mortgage rates would spiral up in the event of a chaotic no-deal Brexit, with house prices falling 35 percent over three years, the Times newspaper reported.

If you have any idea what he based these figures on then please share. If you don't know or if you don't wish to share then please keep your snarky comments to yourself.

Archived