U.S. imposes sanctions on Thai company it accuses of aiding Iran

rooster59

U.S. imposes sanctions on Thai company it accuses of aiding Iran

800x800 (9).jpg

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin arrives at a White House reception for Congressional Medal of Honor recipients in the East Room of the White in Washington, U.S., September 12, 2018. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Friday imposed sanctions against a Thai aviation company that it said was acting on behalf of Iran's Mahan Air, which it accused of ferrying troops and supplies into Syria in support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The fresh actions target My Aviation Company Ltd in Bangkok and modifies sanctions against Malaysia-based Mahan Travel and Tourism, a U.S. Treasury statement said. Mahan Air is already under U.S. sanctions.

"Mahan Air continues to fly into Syria every week, even as millions of innocent civilians in Idlib province are under threat of imminent attack from the murderous Assad regime and its backers in Iran and Russia," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement.

The sanctions come as Turkey said on Friday it was talking to all parties in the Syrian conflict, including Iran and Russia, to prevent a Syrian government offensive on Idlib province.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-15
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

I think you give both sides far too much credit for cognitive activity.  Their actions are reflexive at best;  one hates Iran while the other takes money from whomever without thinking too much.    

An excellent point (as always!), YB.

However, I think there is a nuance here.

Your analysis is correct at the leadership level, but the 'staff' level of each country does actually deserve some respect. Unfortunately, as they are experts, they likely won't rise to the top.

What a messed up world we live in...

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, myfriendu said:

The good thing would be USA, stop the war machine,stop sanctions and invading countries,arming so called rebels to topple legitimate elected governments.,start looking in their own back yard.    

Keep china and all the world trading, if you cant compete get out the market,Asia will dominate the writing is on the wall

Nice to still have some commies around ?

• Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

I think you give both sides far too much credit for cognitive activity.  Their actions are reflexive at best;  one hates Iran while the other takes money from whomever without thinking too much.    

Which is further supported by Thailand's silence over the genocide in Myanmar!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bubba45 said:

I keep hoping the US imposes tariffs on Thai imports the way the Thais tax everything.  Would be funny to see them jump if the US put 100% tariffs on Thai seafood, for example.  I say hit them all hard everywhere.

Yes they been robbing Thais for decades and keeping the money. Tax the Thai government hard

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Several off topic, inflammatory posts and replies to them have been removed.

And now a comment on moderation and replies quoting some of the removed posts after they were removed.

The is the Thailand news forum not the world news forum. Bringing world politics into this topic is off topic.

• Sad 1