Opening A Bank Accout

Come to Thailand, walk into a bank and ask if they will open an account for you.  Some banks will say no, some banks will say yes.  You may need to try in quite a few banks.  

You can get a bank account on a tourist visa, despite what some people might tell you.

Why do you want a bank account here?

9 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

When I tried to open a bank account in Bangkok, back in the late 90's, this was Bangkok Bank, you had to have a "O" visa.  A couple of years later, I came back in on a "O" visa, had no problem.

Must depend on the branch like everything here...ZERO consistency. I opened a Bangkok Bank Acct in late 90s on a 30 day Visa Exempt entry! The branch is on Sukhumvit between Sois 8 & 10. 

Go bank to bank, branch to branch, until you find one that will open an account on a visa exempt or tourist visa. Sometimes having a Thai account holder with you helps, sometimes buying insurance from them helps.

Most banks do accident insurance for account holders, 1,000 baht a year etc, the bank staff get commission, people report signing up for insurance and magically an account gets opened..

If you are Malaysian, maybe some ASEAN rules/treaties apply.

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Go bank to bank, branch to branch, until you find one that will open an account on a visa exempt or tourist visa. Sometimes having a Thai account holder with you helps, sometimes buying insurance from them helps.

Most banks do accident insurance for account holders, 1,000 baht a year etc, the bank staff get commission, people report signing up for insurance and magically an account gets opened..

If you are Malaysian, maybe some ASEAN rules/treaties apply.

Good point about ASEAN, I opened an account with Siam Bank, just a photocopy of my passport and 200 baht, but this was 17 years ago, and then you could use a tourist visa,

Things have changed since then, go in and ask.

21 hours ago, seancbk said:

Come to Thailand, walk into a bank and ask if they will open an account for you.  Some banks will say no, some banks will say yes.  You may need to try in quite a few banks.  

You can get a bank account on a tourist visa, despite what some people might tell you.

Why do you want a bank account here?

Getting a bank account was as easy in Bangkok as it is in Canada. They even call it a tourist bank account as I don't live there full time yet. 

Getting a Bank account in Thailand used to be easy 8 years ago, not now. If you keep trying a bank MAY open an account for you. Some of the issues are -

1. Your Visa. Less likely if a tourist.

2. Work permit? Some banks insist on this. even if you have lived in Thailand on visa extensions for years, like myself!

3. Proof of Thai address - usually require yellow book (I have been asked for this). You may get away with other proof.

4. Some areas, like Bangkok and Pattaya, are easier. Provincial areas harder.

Took me 5 attempts to open a second bank account even though i have lived in one Thai city for 7 years.......

Archived