Warning of dengue fever in Bangkok

webfact

Warning of dengue fever in Bangkok

dengue-fever.png

Bangkokians, especially children,  have been warned to protect themselves from dengue fever which has  since the beginning of this year infected more than 5,800 people in Bangkok with five fatalities so far.

Bangkok Governor Pol Gen Aswin Kwanmuang said Monday that dengue fever which is transmitted by Aedes Aegpti mosquito bites is spreading widely during this period of rainy season.

Four districts of Nong Chok, Huay Khwang, Bang Kapi and Klong Samwa have been declared infection zones.

Full story: http://www.thaipbsworld.com/warning-of-dengue-fever-in-bangkok/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-09-18

I had a mild version earlier this year, that was awful, just wanted to sleep, no appetite, aching.  The hospital were good with blood tests every day and when I was finally clear the Dr asked when the local government came to spray my house and garden. When  said they had not been he got the nurse in and blocked her.  Anyway about another week passed before they come to spray my garden, I'm not surprised there is a problem.

One thing I did find out is that if another mosquito bites me when I am affected then that mosquito also becomes infected.

Glad you did well after Dengue Fever (DF).  Thank goodness you did not have the more severe Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) or Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS), which will be more likely if you get bitten in future by a mosquito carrying any of the other of the four strains of Dengue virus (see: https://www.cdc.gov/dengue/clinicallab/clinical.html), a phenomenon known as antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE).

About whether other mosquitoes will get infected with Dengue virus still in your blood ("viremia") if they bite you, you probably became non-infectious (non-viremic) to them within five days after the first onset of your DF symptoms (see: https://www.cdc.gov/dengue/epidemiology/index.html).  

As experts advise in endemic or epidemic areas, use DEET repellent when outside, and remove standing water as best you can around the house, in flower pots, old car tires, and even the tiniest of reservoirs (e.g., upturned bottle caps).  Of course, such mosquito control efforts are less effective if you have careless neighbors on the other side of your fence.

We have a Koi Carp pond in the garden so there is always water although we keep it moving with pumps etc. 

I wasn't kept in hospital providing I attended daily for a blood test until I was given the all clear, this was pretty much as soon as my appetite came back.

Of course there is no guarantee the infection came from home, I had been in other provinces in the week leading up to it finally hitting me in the middle of the night with the worst shivers I have ever had.

KingKenny,

I don't know much about fish.  But I would bet those carp would dine on any mosquito larvae deposited in your pond, and thus be a natural form of mosquito control. 

Maybe some Koi experts can comment on what is in their diet.

5 hours ago, kingkenny said:

I had a mild version earlier this year, that was awful, just wanted to sleep, no appetite, aching.  The hospital were good with blood tests every day and when I was finally clear the Dr asked when the local government came to spray my house and garden. When  said they had not been he got the nurse in and blocked her.  Anyway about another week passed before they come to spray my garden, I'm not surprised there is a problem.

One thing I did find out is that if another mosquito bites me when I am affected then that mosquito also becomes infected.

Biting a few local government officials might be more effective.

My Thai FIL who lived in Bang Na in Bangkok was 80 when he died last year of Dengue fever. He also had Alzheimers but that didn't kill him.

My wife was down there when he died and she sent me a photo of him in his last couple of days.

I barely recognised the skeleton of the man I had met only 6 months before in April.

2 hours ago, Bruce404 said:

KingKenny,

I don't know much about fish.  But I would bet those carp would dine on any mosquito larvae deposited in your pond, and thus be a natural form of mosquito control. 

Maybe some Koi experts can comment on what is in their diet.

As that water is moving I think the mosquitos won't lay eggs there, but there is a filter system under a wooden terrace that has standing water that the Koi can't get to, these are big koi. There is a small fish that you can put in this part that eats the eggs I believe.

Archived