How to break the routine of drinking every night?

startracker

this was me. Missis made me stop basically by nagging me to death over it. Its hard to enjoy a drink when your getting whined at incessently. Now its just a weekend thing and Im glad she got me stop. I dont miss going to work with  a hangover!!

why not have a earnest pop at giving it a miss for a week and see how youre doing. If you cant stop then that's dependency!! Good luck.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, startracker said:

For me:

I'm not enjoying it like I used to.

It's starting to effect my private/family life to a small degree.

I'm 40 and don't want to be doing it until I'm 60.

Don't want to become dependent on it.

Way to go is to cut back to the 'tingly' stage, then top up a little to keep in the zone.

I'm doing about half your dose, mainly after lunch, not late at night so no hangover the next day.

• Like 1

I drink hard and heavy when I drink, but normally try to do it every 3-4 weeks. 

Friends and associates visit here to Thailand and it is every night. 

Exercise: Late day 5:30 - 6 -7:30pm. You wont' want it at night after this. Or do a nice morning walk and then evening exercise taking up more time. You will appreciate life more as your body is stronger.. 

Movies.

Dinners. With my family I never drink at dinners.

You say not an alcoholic, so if true then it is boredom. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rally123 said:

I believe there is medication that makes you feel sick if you drink alcohol. I think it's called 'Topiramate'?

Definitely NOT topiramate (topamax). This treates brain issues (mild epilepsy, migraine).

You mean disulfiram (Antabuse) - this drug makes a person ill, including vomiting, if they take this drug and subsequently take even small amounts of alcohol.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

t's called a skinfull the night before lol

Yes, but when you take another glass of "medication" on the evening, it puts you right as rain. Personally, I don't think the  meds will work, you have to really do it yourself. It does not matter how sick  alcohol makes you feel you will end up drinking it if you are inclined.

Boredom is one of the worst killers when trying to break this cycle.

Go and make a cup of tea instead of opening the first bottle. Maybe make a sandwich or something instead of the second bottle. It is hell on earth to try to break this cycle but I think you will just slip back if you use that medication.

Even when the alcohol is literally killing you, you will make some excuse to yourself that this one does not matter or just one more beer is no problem. You can do it but it is not easy it is hell and all of  the doctors warnings and medical advice mean nothing unless you really put your mind into it. (Give it 1 month it will get easier - The cravings never go away, but they do become a lot less invasive - some days are better than others.)

• Like 2

A friend took to getting up much earlier , then having an afternoon snooze through his normal 'beer oclock ' part of the day. Then often a walk or swim when he awoke near dusk.

He said that if he avoided wine with dinner he didnt much feel like a drink after dinner.

• Like 1

I usually drink two nights per week, typically a Tuesday/Friday or Wednesday/Saturday.

What stops me from drinking more is the fact that when I drink I get lashed and am absolutely useless the next day. Hangovers hit me hard and I have other things I need to do in my life, the day after drinking is almost a complete write off. So my two layabout and do sweet FA days per week are the days after I've been drinking. 

My girlfriend knows that the day after I've been out drinking I will be gong nowhere and doing nothing, no nagging about it. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

90% of everyone's life is unhappy.

It's the 10% you live for.

(unless you're retarded, they seem happy most of the time)

This depends on your personality type. Personally I would say my natural state of life satisfaction is contentment, 95% of my life I am quite happy and satisfied. 

The only times I typically feel unhappy are when I go out to socialize and don't get satisfactorily stimulated by the interactions. When that happens I call it a night, go home early and my happiness returns again. I love going out and socializing, but being an introvert I don't NEED to do it, and while I love it, it's typically the only thing in my life that potentially brings me unhappiness. 

• Like 1

It's only a personal fact that I wrote that  not drinking everyday is a matter of finances.

I live in a nice condo in Thonglor and like it as I like the area.

Drinking everyday would oblige me to move to another cheaper place.

It's more than 50 years that I enjoy drinking, it's not now at 70 that I intend to change something about it.

By the way I am a day drinker { between +/- 1 & 6 p.m.).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nikmar said:

this was me. Missis made me stop basically by nagging me to death over it. Its hard to enjoy a drink when your getting whined at incessently. Now its just a weekend thing and Im glad she got me stop. I dont miss going to work with  a hangover!!

why not have a earnest pop at giving it a miss for a week and see how youre doing. If you cant stop then that's dependency!! Good luck.

That's my approach as well. Been doing that for a while now.  Bonus is, you feel more happy and healthy and can think more clearly. Plus you can look forward to the weekend drink.

Edited by Slain
  • Like 1

I believe boredom is a lot to do with it. Boredom and routine.

I finish working online at around 8:00-8:30pm. We live in a very big Thai neighborhood that has absolutely nothing in but houses. In an area that has nothing in it but neighborhoods of houses. Exercing after that would keep me up at night. 

So it is onto the sofa to watch TV, and pour a drink so my hands have something to do. 

I'm pretty active in the day time and typically go for long walks every day to think about things. 

Edited by startracker