How to break the routine of drinking every night?

startracker

The simple answer is to stop drinking. But that may not be the easy answer.

Have you tried? Do you have any physical symptoms if you don't have a drink? Shakes and stuff like that? Anything worse?

You're really dealing with several issues, depending on where you are in your drinking career.

Boredom as has been said many times already, but that's generally larger than something that sounds so minor.

What does drinking actually do for you? What is the point? How does it benefit your life in any way? Does it just make you feel better? Why don't you feel better in the first place, that you need alcohol to make life worthwhile? That sort of thing.

Also, has drinking done anything negative too? How many bad situations are pretty much a result of drinking that simply wouldn't have occurred without the alcohol?

Whether you're bored and directionless, or have just lowered your standards for yourself so much that you've accepted that life is only good with alcohol, then you might have some sort of issue. Whether you have a physical dependency, it's just become a boredom habit, or it's the only way you can cope with life because nothing else gives you any meaning or fulfillment anymore...none of those options are ideal.

If you can just give it up and go on about life with little fuss for a month or so, then you'd be reasonably sure you could quit anytime. Want to start back up? Why? What good would it do you? Sure, a buzz feels pretty okay...but are the other side effects worth that? Sort out if you really have any reason to start up again on some sort of moderated plan.

If you can just stop drinking for a month or so...do that. If the thought of that terrifies you or seems impossible, that is a pretty good indicator that you've got a problem you might should address. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading through these posts its great to see how many members have taken control back from alcohol addiction.  Its a slippery slope given how cheap it is here to purchase, its cheaper then fizzy drinks back home and feels like it takes care of some of the boredom.  OP im in your boat age and granted fitness takes care of a part of the day and from the other TV members saying hobbies I couldnt agree more.  I always come up with projects, from making stuff bbq etc, to cooking I remember some of the dishes I was partial to back home and have a crack here.  I also got into linux / windows programing which keeps one mind occupied.  Youtubes a great starting point.

9 hours ago, startracker said:

Over the last year or two I've gotten into the routine of drinking every night. It started because I could do it, and enjoyed it. Now I don't enjoy it as much, but it's what I do.

Typically 4-6 big beers, or 1/5-1/4 liter of whiskey, or a bottle of wine over the course of the night. It's difficult to stop and not do it. Not sure if an alcoholic or not (could be routine rather than alcohol dependence) 

What tips are there to help me stop and go back to once or twice a week? It would be better for my life and my family's life.

You're not going to stop drinking just because you think you should.

A surefire way to quit would be to start a fitness and health program. Start it off at the same time you're still drinking, don't try to quit first. If you choose the right program, you'll soon start taking the fitness program seriously and it will become so important to you that you'll quit drinking as it will be hindering the program you started.

31 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

To most drinking is only a habit. Give yourself a time table ,1 week , 1 month, see how you feel, that's the only way to tell if it's a habit or you are an alcoholic.

I think that is a good answer.

When I buy a bottle of booze, I finish it in 3 days, because that bottle is there and hey why not one more. Main reason is also because I most of thee days have to be online till 2am or later.

Spirits I only drink pure with ice.

I have never, that I can remember, drank alcohol during day time because I don't feel to it.

Many times I have taken a 1 month off, and if there is no booze in the house I also don't have any craving for it.

At the end of the month I think by myself, why shouldn't I have a drink, I don't see any reason for being a teetotaller.

I know I can control myself if I want, so why should I want to be the most boring person on this planet.

So I will buy a bottle again every 3 - 4 days, until I think again, why I'm buying this booze actually.

For the past 3 weeks I have been buying beer instead, but the one I buy is one of those with the lowest alcohol content, because I'm not like many on this forum that think higher alcohol is better beer.

I drink 1 large bottle a night, however I have 3 bottles in the fridge at any time.

So however I drink alcohol almost every night, I'm confident I'm not an alcoholic.

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Actually that's not true. Liver disease is known as one of the least painful ways to die.

Dying of liver failure is generally pain free. The liver is important in clearing metabolites from the blood stream. When the liver stops working, certain metabolites build up in the blood and suppress brain function. Pain perception and judgement are reduced, and the patients are generally unaware.

In early liver failure, there is increased drowsiness and sedation. As the liver failure progresses, the patient becomes more sleepy and then eventually slips into a coma.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/what-is-the-least-painful_b_2192191.html

I'd rather die of liver failure than cancer, strokes, altzheimer's etc.

If you can keep the drinking to a moderate standard and not need to drink daytimes and dont get 'the shakes' and stuff it's just how many days is applicable and the quality vs quantity of life balance.

I've seen a couple of alcoholics in my condo, and I can't say they died peacefully or pain-free. One was passing blood in his faeces due to total liver breakdown. The other died alone in his room, blood and vomit all over the place when the condo staff eventually broke in. Maybe you are right in the final stage; however, the precursor is not pretty.

Just now, Kadilo said:

Why would you be boring because you never had a drink?

maybe boring was the wrong word, it should actually be described as, why would I not enjoy a drink.

I know i can control myself, 7 years ago I stopped from smoking almost 2 pack a day, just from one day to the other, and I explained already that i can forget about the booze for a month whenever i want.

Everybody has to die from something one day, so if i like to have a drink, why should i be so boring to think different?

31 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

For the past 3 weeks I have been buying beer instead, but the one I buy is one of those with the lowest alcohol content, because I'm not like many on this forum that think higher alcohol is better beer.

I drink 1 large bottle a night, however I have 3 bottles in the fridge at any time.

So however I drink alcohol almost every night, I'm confident I'm not an alcoholic.

You are definitely not an alcoholic , I used to drink more than you, when I was tee total 

19 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

maybe boring was the wrong word, it should actually be described as, why would I not enjoy a drink.

I know i can control myself, 7 years ago I stopped from smoking almost 2 pack a day, just from one day to the other, and I explained already that i can forget about the booze for a month whenever i want.

Everybody has to die from something one day, so if i like to have a drink, why should i be so boring to think different?

Understood. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, allanos said:

Lot's of sound advice here, especially if you don't feel you have the self-discipline to simply STOP.  It may be that you are bored, and want to while away some of your life in the depths of a bottle, or three.  Some meaningful introspection may be worthwhile: "why am I doing this, do I enjoy it that much, can I find something better to do with my time, have I got the inner strength to either moderate it or can it altogether"? 

My advice: try cold turkey.  It has worked in a lot of cases and may be what you need . . .  and good luck!

well, i have only read the first 2 pages.   have to say that i am surprised (pleasantly) at the supportive posts from many of the members.   boredom is a disease of modern day life...time to kill and money to do it with.   but its finding something or things that one enjoys that is the challenge.   You mention your family...that is a good start.  You may

not be an "addict".....but too much alcohol is gonna mess you up for sure.    Easy for all of us to tell others to be strong..

but hopefully you will find the will.

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't work, I'm as fit as most 25-year-olds (over 60).

If anything I drink more after exercise to remove the pain from shin splints and other overexercising pains.

gotta start limiting those positions BMT  !   pick the best 5 and stick to it    

One of the things that helped me most was limiting access. Either not stocking alcohol at home (or not over than a certain limit). Not having a bottle in plain view. Not too many cold ones ready to go in the refrigerator. 

Having other stuff to fill time and occupy thoughts is good as well. Exercise is indeed a good choice, so are dogs - but obviously doesn't fit everyone, nor always comfortable or possible. The something-to-do-with-my-hands bit...yeah, that was a thing, too. Gaming proved a good answer sometimes (but another possible addictive venue). Learning to play a musical instrument is a good one too, IMO.

To be clear, I never wanted to completely stop drinking. Just to bring it under control, which I mostly did. Lapses every now and then, but getting rare. AA was way too much (not to mention annoying and cult-like) for my liking, plus the whole group thing doesn't work for me.

Acknowledging there's a problem, or that it doesn't work out anymore is good. Doing something about and managing to keep it up can be difficult.

Hope you'll find a way.

7 minutes ago, Morch said:

One of the things that helped me most was limiting access. Either not stocking alcohol at home (or not over than a certain limit). Not having a bottle in plain view. Not too many cold ones ready to go in the refrigerator. 

Having other stuff to fill time and occupy thoughts is good as well. Exercise is indeed a good choice, so are dogs - but obviously doesn't fit everyone, nor always comfortable or possible. The something-to-do-with-my-hands bit...yeah, that was a thing, too. Gaming proved a good answer sometimes (but another possible addictive venue). Learning to play a musical instrument is a good one too, IMO.

To be clear, I never wanted to completely stop drinking. Just to bring it under control, which I mostly did. Lapses every now and then, but getting rare. AA was way too much (not to mention annoying and cult-like) for my liking, plus the whole group thing doesn't work for me.

Acknowledging there's a problem, or that it doesn't work out anymore is good. Doing something about and managing to keep it up can be difficult.

Hope you'll find a way.

Out of interest what made you decide to go to AA if you never wanted to completely stop?

19 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Out of interest what made you decide to go to AA if you never wanted to completely stop?

The other way around (or bad phrasing on my part), I think I came to the realization "thanks" to AA. Didn't know all that much about the program etc. at the time, really.

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

It's called a skinfull the night before lol

Clearly, you are not an alcoholic. Believe me, people are not alcoholics because it's fun. Having an awful hangover and vomiting your guts out in the morning are not impediments to an alcoholic. It takes real hardihood, determination, and stamina to be an alcoholic.

Before I quit drinking I heard about a test to decide if you are alcoholic or not. The test sounds simple: for thirty days you must drink two glasses of alcoholic beverage every day. You may choose to make three your limit if you've been accustomed to drinking a lot. You must drink every day. No more, no less, than the amount you set. No skipping. If, during that month you drink more than the max you decided on (either two or three) even one glass, one time, you win. You're an alcoholic. I never actually took the test because it was obvious to me I could not possibly do that. In fact, I believed no normal person could do that but I now think I was mistaken. Anyway, my life has been so much better without alcohol I wish I had quit earlier, but there was a time when it was actually fun. Not the last five years or so.

For the OP, the only suggestion I have is to find some activity you enjoy doing occasionally that doesn't permit drinking while you're doing it, so it couldn't be something like bowling or shooting pool. You might want to attend a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. There's no obligation, and most groups have some meetings specified as "open," for civilians (or normies) to see what meetings are like and ask questions. I presume you're in Bangkok, so you might check http://www.aathailand.org/meetings-map/Bangkok. I couldn't get the map there to load. There's also a forum at ThaiVisa. I'm afraid I don't have many suggestions for somebody who is not an alcoholic 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

If anything I drink more after exercise to remove the pain from shin splints and other overexercising pains.

If you have shin splints you need to run on softer surfaces (definitely not concrete or stone) and you need to get a pair of shoes that fit your gait properly.  If you have a very high heel on your shoe that can cause shin splints because your heel is striking the ground too much and it disrupts the natural movement of the muscles in your leg.  There are some special running shops that will take a video of you running on a treadmill and then tell you what type of shoe you need.  There's one in Ari, Bangkok.  Barefoot running should also eliminate shin splints because that's the most natural way to run.  Barefoot running can cause blisters and bone stress injuries though so maybe a minimalist running shoe would be a compromise.

Do not treat one drug with another drug like Topiramate. Try to cut it, if you can not stop in one go, than start with replace every second beer/drink with a bottle of water. If that does not work, mix 50/50 beer/drink and water. Then more and more water. Remember we should drink 2-4 liters of water every day. And when you get thirsty drink water or something else than a beer.

Why don't they have beer with low alcohol percentage in Thailand? Lowest I have seen is Singha Light, at 4.5%? I have never seen 2.8% or 3.5%

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't work, I'm as fit as most 25-year-olds (over 60).

I chose my words carefully: "If you choose the right program"... because a lot of people are doing lousy fitness programs. Perhaps I should have emphasized RIGHT.  

A well-designed program avoids pain because pain limits progress and eventually leads to chronic injuries. I'm nearly 60, train nearly every day, and don't have any exercising pains. If something starts hurting, which does happen, I change it up and work around the injury until it's healed, or throw out the offending exercise.

My take on any sort of high, or inebriation, is that you do it to escape the sameness of life. But, once you start doing it every day it becomes the new normal, and ceases to be all that interesting. 

Being sober or sober most of the time is a form of discipline. I do it because I just hate being drunk, and the morning after. Plus the health benefits and energy and clarity I get from sobriety. On occasion, a few drinks. 

It is all about priorities. For me, there are few things more boring than drinking a massive amount of beer. But, it is a personal thing. No judgment here. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

My take on any sort of high, or inebriation, is that you do it to escape the sameness of life. But, once you start doing it every day it becomes the new normal, and ceases to be all that interesting. 

Being sober or sober most of the time is a form of discipline. I do it because I just hate being drunk, and the morning after. Plus the health benefits and energy and clarity I get from sobriety. On occasion, a few drinks. 

It is all about priorities. For me, there are few things more boring than drinking a massive amount of beer. But, it is a personal thing. No judgment here. 

I’m pretty much the same although I enjoy a good get together now and again with some food and drinks. I think with age you start to value your health a bit more and wish to fulfill your days and nights as much as you can. 

As a previous posters have said once you start looking after yourself as in fitness and eating, the drinking (or lack of) follows otherwise the rest is wasted effort. 

As as you say it’s a personal thing. I spent years doing the opposite without regret. 

Archived