blacklisted or not

5 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Not amazing a US citizen can return to the US with an expired passport no problem.

No problem for entering the US or at most home countries with an expired passport. But leaving Thailand would not be possible with one since you have have a valid passport to stay in the country.

9 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Also had a friend who married a Thai girl , her daughter returned years later on an expired Thai passport. 

Correct but they may of had residency or citizenship in the other country that did not require them to have a valid passport to stay in the country.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Caine said:

Obvious to anyone with half a brain the 20000 baht went straight into the I.O. Pocket, so didn’t need to officially record the overstay, thank you very much. 

Why do you think that?

I am certain a receipt was done for it. Looking at the hand written overstay details there appears to be receipt number on it like a normal overstay stamp has on it.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Not amazing a US citizen can return to the US with an expired passport no problem. Also had a friend who married a Thai girl , her daughter returned years later on an expired Thai passport. 

Wow who would have known that an invalid international id is still ok, but only under pretense of going home. 

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What would happen if you didn't pay 20,000 fine? No have! They normally blacklist you anyway

Without the 20k baht to pay the fine a person would not be allowed to leave the country. It would end up with a trip to detention more than likely.

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What would happen if you didn't pay 20,000 fine? No have! They normally blacklist you anyway

It would mean a free transfer to IDC. No phone, they take it away, no shoes, they leave them outside. a nice room to share with 40 to 60+ guys and one toilet. A floor to sleep on, if you can find a clean bit.

If you're still unsure I'll tell the not so good bits.?

• Like 1

Not amazing a US citizen can return to the US with an expired passport no problem.

Because he/she can go back “home” even with expired pass, but can not use that pass for anything else. Expired pass would be enough to proof the identity. 

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Go ahead & apply for a Non Imm 0 based on marriage in your new passport

The resultant reply may answer your question

Unfortunately, there would likely not be a check done as part of the visa-process to check for a blacklisting.  He could find out at the airport (likely), or even upon arrival.  But, that would definitely be the Visa to have before returning - not a TR Visa.

4 hours ago, Caine said:

Obvious to anyone with half a brain the 20000 baht went straight into the I.O. Pocket, so didn’t need to officially record the overstay, thank you very much. 

I don't see how the overstay could have been "not reported".  The Immigration DB will show the entry and exit with nothing in between to justify the length of stay.

I have read a few cases where blacklisting was purportedly waived for someone due to Thai-family considerations - but many more cases where nothing helped, even when an honest mistake was made (not understanding now a 1-Year ME Visa works, for example).  I have also read of cases where a person went to a particular crossing to exit, after paying a lot of money to a facilitator, and avoided blacklisting (much more than 20K). 

In this case, the OP may have simply encountered an IO and Supervisor who chose to help keep a family together.  Or, it is possible the blacklist was input into the computer, and applying the stamp was missed.  But, the latter seems less likely, given the handwritten note.