EU pushes October Brexit agreement, threatens no deal

webfact

How do we go forward after Brexit?

Let's assume that we are faced with no-deal brexit where our representatives failed to find a common ground how we should live together.

We, as individuals don't have to care what our politicians say or do. We can live our own lives.

Do we still have to continue this stupid bipolar way of seeing Brits as enemy and vice versa? 

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, oilinki said:

I think I was still learning to speak properly in 1975 ?

It's funny how the age cap plays so significant role the way we feel about EU. 

I have no recollection when my country joined EU in 1995. I actually thought it happened in 1985, until I checked wikipedia. At the time, joining EU didn't mean anything to me. 

Now 23 years later I have learned to value the possibilities EU gives to me as well as to our younger generations. 

It's funny how the views of the world changes over time. 

In 1975 I was 31 and serving with the RAF in Germany. Before and after I could still drive in Germany, Holland, Belgium but not France using my NATO travel pass and my BFG driving permit. I didn't even need a passport as my NATO pass was sufficient. Fast forward to the late 1990s and I worked in Holland twice, Belgium, France and Germany. I had a passport which was checked only at Dover and Calais.

I had my UK driving licence which was good enough but nobody ever asked me for it. Nobody asked for a work permit either.

If after Brexit I wanted to travel in the EU one Schengen visa will cover me and a UK IDP will also cover me. Extra insurance 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You clearly have no understanding as to why brexit won the referendum, which is fair enough as you're not a brit.

But why do remainers so frequently feel the need to resort to insults against those who voted in a way with which they disagree???  i.e. (in this case) "your country is going through temporary insanity".....

Your last para., isn't worthy of a reply but - even so, I'm in a bad mood and so need to point out that only a few desperate remainers are desperate enough to play the 'those who have problems with the eu have been influenced by the russians' card....! (roll eyes)

Temporary insanity is not an insult, it's a fact. Each person, every society goes through these times every now and then. It's a time to push away the past and look what is wanted in the future. 

Brexit is soon over and Britain will be a 3rd country like Belarus for the EU. How do we go forward from there?

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

Temporary insanity is not an insult, it's a fact. Each person, every society goes through these times every now and then. It's a time to push away the past and look what is wanted in the future. 

Brexit is soon over and Britain will be a 3rd country like Belarus for the EU. How do we go forward from there?

Not sure about insanity. If these Brexit TV threads are a valid model of what Britain is going through, I'd say the country looks like a group of mountaineers who are half way through a north face, from which there is no retreat, and started fighting each other over how to proceed, as no one had bothered to plan the climb.

But, being German/French/Australian,  I know that Britain is a country of great resources..

There is also an interesting relevant fact in these threads, which is that pro Brexit posters designate themselves as Brits (I could even see "brits"...), not citizens/subjects of the UK, whatever that would be.

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

If by we you mean the EU you just carry on your merry way and forget about us Brits. What will happen to the EU after the UK leaves I have no idea and I doubt that the EU does either.

I expect we Brits will pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, get started again and face the next big problem which will be the next general election.

IMHO there will not be a clear winner there and leading up to it may make the "Night of the Long Knives" look like Alice in Wonderlands tea party. That however will be our problem and nothing for the EU to care about.

• Like 2

Sometimes I think all of this is just stage management for the benefit of both sides. The choreography may well play out like this until at the last minute a Canada+++ style deal is prosed by the EU that suits (and can be swallowed by) them but also by the UK and the anti-Chequers people from both remain and leave sides...would make sense and is the only practical option left. It would be a case of copy and paste with some alterations...done and dusted with neither side looking weak, losing face or being out of pocket too much. 

Edited by Sir Dude
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

If by we you mean the EU you just carry on your merry way and forget about us Brits. What will happen to the EU after the UK leaves I have no idea and I doubt that the EU does either.

I expect we Brits will pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, get started again and face the next big problem which will be the next general election.

IMHO there will not be a clear winner there and leading up to it may make the "Night of the Long Knives" look like Alice in Wonderlands tea party. That however will be our problem and nothing for the EU to care about.

Not that some people have the vaguest idea what the Night Of The Long Knives was about but nevertheless looks good in a piece of Brexiteer waffle. Carry on.

7 hours ago, oilinki said:

I did some research on the insanity topic. Couldn't help.

BrexitMap.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

They EU ‘only’ wants a deal on its terms, to protect itself from further incompetent backlash, safeguard Dublin & most important of all deter others considering the same route as the U.K.
The EU despises challenges to its autocratic authoritarian attitude, look at Greece, Italy & the V4. What the EU does after the U.K. leaves it’s up to them & its MS. GB will continue being a neighbour however from a political prospective the U.K. will be independent.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The UK, twinned with Greece and Italy: :cheesy:

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Hello! New trend ahoy! Grumpy old Brexiteers wrapping themselves up in the flag again: 'us Brits...we Brits'. ?

2 hours ago, citybiker said:

They EU ‘only’ wants a deal on its terms

Oh, really? Newsflash. 

You really live in lala-Land. 

2 hours ago, citybiker said:

to protect itself from further incompetent backlash, safeguard Dublin & most important of all deter others considering the same route as the U.K.

That was clear from the beginning on. Everyone told you so, yet still you’re coming back with the same ridiculous proposals wasting everyone’s time.

Yes, Britain will follow it's designated path.

We'll still be neighbours. We'll still interact with each other even after Brexit.

The question is do we see you as Turkey, Belarus or USA, or do we see you as a lost friend who got into troubles, he couldn't get away.

Will the Brits encounter similar attitudes in Europe, as the Germans did for multiple decades after the war?

While it sounds ridiculous, Germans were not welcome guests in Finnish lapland nor in Greek islands, even in the 90's. 40-50 years after the war.

Will the younger generations think about the Brits in the same way and how long they might think in that way. 

So.. how do we go forward together, was my initial question.

4 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Well,it will scare the weaker ones amongst us but not the majority of British folk we are stronger than that,they have tried to frighten us before,look how that worked out

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Badly, very badly. BMW and Volkswagon now own the majority of the British car industry including RR, what used to be the best car in the world. And I am not even going to mention football.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Yes, Britain will follow it's designated path.

We'll still be neighbours. We'll still interact with each other even after Brexit.

The question is do we see you as Turkey, Belarus or USA, or do we see you as a lost friend who got into troubles, he couldn't get away.

Will the Brits encounter similar attitudes in Europe, as the Germans did for multiple decades after the war?

While it sounds ridiculous, Germans were not welcome guests in Finnish lapland nor in Greek islands, even in the 90's. 40-50 years after the war.

Will the younger generations think about the Brits in the same way and how long they might think in that way. 

So.. how do we go forward together, was my initial question.

I have no idea how the EU sees the UK. You need to split up the EU into people and countries and the EU "executive" for want of a better term. People are people all over and most of them understand the difference between themselves and their local government and their overlords.

I am too old to understand the youth of today in Europe.

Perhaps the UK and the EU may not even want to go forward together any more.

• Like 2

I am too old to understand the youth of today in Europe.

Perhaps the UK and the EU may not even want to go forward together any more.

You truly are old person and I respect your gained wisdom.

I'm generation younger than you are. I don't want to see people waving their flags or identity. I think the folks chanting USA, USA, USA, is not what we want of Europe.

I also see that Brexit offers mostly similar kind of chanting of UK, UK, UK.

Edited by Guest

That was clear from the beginning on. Everyone told you so, yet still you’re coming back with the same ridiculous proposals wasting everyone’s time.
Lala land is far more appropriate than any Anti Brexit remainers mindset.

Thank you for your concern, it's duly noted.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, citybiker said:

That's a very poor & incorrect comparison & you know it.

Euro emoji41.png

Yeah, that's a poor comparison. Greece and Italy are part of EU, UK is not.

The souther one goes, the less smart people one finds. UK is in the middle field. Not very smart, but not stupid as well. Average Joes.

A post against forum rules has been removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Well,it will scare the weaker ones amongst us but not the majority of British folk we are stronger than that,they have tried to frighten us before,look how that worked out

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The US and USSR pulling our balls out of the fire?

12 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Badly, very badly. BMW and Volkswagon now own the majority of the British car industry including RR, what used to be the best car in the world. And I am not even going to mention football.

So What , companys buy other companys all over the world , it was the unions that destroyed the manufacturing base in the UK as they destroyed everything else when the govt ran all our utility companys and the railways etc,just like if Corbyn and the communists that back him get in to power again .

anyway i believe he was talking about the world wars , ,Germany could not win them ,so is now using the E.U to take control.

• Like 2