Many rape cases stalled or 'settled' by police, says foundation

webfact

Although I'd like to see rapes at 0%. Thankfully, they are steadily declining.

A few stats: 
Most victims are women between the age of 16-20 (22%)
Most attackers are school and university students (12-13%)
Most attacks occur in Bangkok (26%)

thailand rape rate.jpg

and thats why crime stats here are irellevant. Im sick of hearing about stats in other countries vs whatever. There is no mistaking it Its a disgrace and the only people to suffer are the public. Im sick of paying criminals money here for trying to have a criminal busted also. Its basically impossible and you find yourself like me in trouble on charges that are made up and therefore pay the crim! Its real bad!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

For women, the main barrier to justice is a culture of victim-blaming prevalent among police, Angkana said. Among the questions that investigators asked victims were, what they were wearing, why they didn’t scream or call for help during the attack, why they lacked bruises or other signs of violence, and even whether they had falsified the report so as to blackmail the accused. 

Appalling investigation techniques, police investigations should have progressed from this ridiculous notion.  Perhaps they believe that any women found naked is fair game?  Whilst I would tentatively agree that some women do wear some very revealing clothes it in no way excuses a sexual attack.  I would think that many women do not scream as their options are submit to the rape or be killed; options generally expressed in vivid detail by the attacker.  This would also explain any lack of external bruising as the victim is in a state of shock and panic and attempting to survive the attack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akirasan said:

A few stats: 

thailand rape rate.jpg

The ones that are reported or tabulated.

A few stats: 

thailand rape rate.jpg

Most are REPORTED in Bangkok!

Bit different!

18 minutes ago, newatthis said:

So my step-daughter cant drive by herself to work or to the shops?

I thought we were talking about socializing? 

Presumably, when she's shopping and driving, it's in public places with many other people around, so she won't be alone with a man.

But, I don't know if your step-daughter can be considered respectable or not, and you probably aren't familiar with Thai culture enough to give an opinion, so it's irrelevant.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Wow...misogyny just reached a new high!

This "opinion" and your avatar...kind of telling!

The Thai police will make judgements within the bounds and rules of their culture, if a reported rape is from a respectable lady, they generally take action. If you don't like their rules, why not move to another country with laws more to your liking.

Can't understand people who voluntarily moved here, hate the government, the police, and almost everything about Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The Thai police will make judgements within the bounds and rules of their culture, if a reported rape is from a respectable lady, they generally take action. If you don't like their rules, why not move to another country with laws more to your liking.

Can't understand people who voluntarily moved here, hate the government, the police, and almost everything about Thailand.

Police are not hired to make judgements, just to investigate and prosecute alleged crimes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

This is a Male Dominant Society, with all the evils that brings with it, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Right, women are considered property and second class citizen the reason Thai male dominant allow dead beat Thai men to just walk off and leave everything behind without second thoughts. There are a lot of Thai women that feel worthless unless they have a man and will take anything they can get.  

Recently, the government changed the law disallowing women police recruits!

This is what is wrong with Thailand regarding the police allowing them to be judge and jury main reason they have the problems they have.

33 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Police are not hired to make judgements, just to investigate and prosecute alleged crimes.

35 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

You are right!  guys who say go home can't understand because they thrive on the misery of others are more of the problem than the solution.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There is something wrong with the schools here, they can't seem to competently care for younger children.

There needs to be a few schools closed, teachers sacked and large damages awarded in these frequent cases of criminal negligence. 

Well if you don't like the schools here, why don't you go back to your own country and get your kids taught there?

I can't understand some people, always complaining about all things Thai, if you don't like it....just leave.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

So what do you suggest is a better metric?

Wish there was a better metric. I believe that many more rapes in this country go unreported. I think that rape is not regarded as a serious crime here, and it's sad.

• Like 1

Mrs Poohy  ex Phra Padeang Bangkok always carries a knife in her handbag so do her daughters.

I am afraid many people do not realise how thai women dislike or avoid thai men for these sexual attack reasons

Even going back to my mongering days the bars had selected taxi divers to take girls home

Years ago in the deep south we had a brake in and  i told mrs to call the police

her answer we have problem and you want to invite the devil!!

sadly both police a thai men best avoided 

Edited by poohy
  • Thanks 1

Any man that rapes a child I believe should be burned at the the stake in public.

As regarding adults, sorry to say that many women do lie. Unlike in the west when a woman cries rape and an accused is unofficially deemed guilty, named and shamed until proven innocent, in Thailand some proof or evidence is required by an alleged victim and a man accused of rape is considered innocent until proven guilty. Other complications is that the Thai police don`t have adequate training in these cases and also don`t have the resources and forensics available to them, which are available to their western counterparts. It`s as simple as that.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe not in your country, but this isn't your country and things are different all over Asia.

No...the function of police is a scientific principal...if they fail to function as such, they are by definition no longer police.

The ramifications of this reverberate throughout society and the result is unchecked criminals unresolved crimes and untreated victims.

There is no justification of this regardless of the location of a country and suggesting "things are different" is no justification of rape anywhere on the planet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

part of the reason a lot more female cops are sorely needed.

Yet the head of police is changing the status quo so that less females are drafted into the police thus making rape cases less likely to be investigated... due to embarrassment of the victim!!