Raptor claws grasp high-end pickup market

rooster59

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Like me in my bog-standard, 4 year-old 3.2 Ranger PX that trounced Somchai's late-model, chipped, low-rider Chevy pickup when he thought he could beat me to the next set of traffic lights coming back from the morning school run? 0-160 in about 1000 m. And that's the same donger that's in Transit vans. The new Raptor has that bi-turbo thingmie going on too.

We'll need to see what enhancements Merc does on the Nissan first... or is it the other way round?

That's unfair because as most of us know  all Somchais' have a built-in  10 second reflex lag at the lights

Edited by Esso49
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Like me in my bog-standard, 4 year-old 3.2 Ranger PX that trounced Somchai's late-model, chipped, low-rider Chevy pickup when he thought he could beat me to the next set of traffic lights coming back from the morning school run? 0-160 in about 1000 m. And that's the same donger that's in Transit vans. The new Raptor has that bi-turbo thingmie going on too.

We'll need to see what enhancements Merc does on the Nissan first... or is it the other way round?

As far as I am aware the V6 Merc only uses the Nisan platform, panels and drive train are different, plus it has wider track for extra stability over the Nissan..260hp out of a 3.0 ltr diesel reliable work engine to me is really good. 0-60 in 7.5 secs is also very good...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

As far as I am aware the V6 Merc only uses the Nisan platform, panels and drive train are different, plus it has wider track for extra stability over the Nissan..260hp out of a 3.0 ltr diesel reliable work engine to me is really good. 0-60 in 7.5 secs is also very good...

The 258 HP V6 is currently 46 k in the UK so with the add-ons it will be around 53 k.  That means as a grey import in Thailand it will be around  the 5.6 to 5.9 million baht mark. A huge amount for a pick-up but the upside is there won't be many Somchais buying them

Edited by Esso49

30 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

That's unfair because as most of us know  all Somchais' have a built-in  10 second reflex lag at the lights

What lights?

Their biggest issue is looking in the mirrors or otherwise out the back at their impressive black exhaust smoke clouds... same as the 2-wheel chavs like to suddenly take a look down at the rear wheel for some inexplicable reason.

Yes, not a fair fight.... but he started it.

21 minutes ago, transam said:

And certain Jaguars momentarily shared the Mondeo platform...

But it's a work in progress and seeing beyond and underneath the 3-pointed star facade will be interesting when it eventuates.

27 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

The 258 HP V6 is currently 46 k in the UK so with the add-ons it will be around 53 k.  That means as a grey import in Thailand it will be around  the 5.6 to 5.9 million baht mark. A huge amount for a pick-up but the upside is there won't be many Somchais buying them

Mrs Nan gave me the money for my current sports lorry but I doubt she'd spring for the Raptor at trade-in time. If we win the lottery, I will order a red one without all the garish raptor decals and certainly no great big eff-off F O R D grille. I like the understated black nose on my current ride.

1500939893_sportslorry.jpg.613aaf3343762cea959d5bd84b771d52.jpg

If I was filthy rich and not just moderately so, I would import a US-assembled 2019 Ranger Raptor as that will have Ford’s gasoline 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6, with outputs around 335 horsepower and 380 lb-ft.

In the meantime, some were complaining in earlier Raptor threads about the promo videos that would encourage more muppetry from Somchai so a good job they don't get some of the videos for the more 'grown-up' market.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Hahaha, my 2001 Mitsu strada, non-turbo, out sprints most rides at the lights, here in LOS (land of sloths) ?   

And my 2012 2.2 Ranger out sprints everything.  Thais just don't use the accelerator pedal when the lights turn green.  And I even wait to check no redlight runners coming from the side ? 

11 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

Hahaha, my 2001 Mitsu strada, non-turbo, out sprints most rides at the lights, here in LOS (land of sloths) ?   

And my 2012 2.2 Ranger out sprints everything.  Thais just don't use the accelerator pedal when the lights turn green.  And I even wait to check no redlight runners coming from the side ? 

Thais are unaware of what "kick-down" is when it comes to use of the accelerator pedal.  They think kick-down is something a group does to one person who upsets you after a night drinking bragging about the furry dice in their pic-ups.

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

None of these apparently.

The guy with the Mclaren F1 was rear ended by an idiot in a pick up after he had slowed due to traffic. That suggests he is one of the few who are capable of driving .  The moron in the pickup that wacked his near side rear endwas no more than a typical Thai pick up driver who clearly could not.

11 hours ago, transam said:

If we are going to talk "Top End" pickups it looks like Mercs offering will trounce the Raptor at the stop light drags and a long straight road..Now that would be a bit embarrassing for me..?

I'm surprised that, as I read it, it is only a 2 litre???? Not enough grunt for my liking. Apart from that, the high tax rates on vehicles made and bought in Thailand are reason enough not to buy here. 

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The biturbo is similar to the 3.2 at low rpm but has higher hp and TQ at higher rpm. It won't run out of breath as quickly as the 3.2.

Imagine the cost to fix a ploblem with the bi-turbo set up...[emoji848]

And if it does have a turbo ploblem you are left with a 2ltr to get the heavy weight home until it is fixed..
I personally would prefer a bigger cc lump just in case..

‘Er indoor’ says there is a Thai FB news article saying Ford have already given a buyer a replacement Raptor due to a serious fault of some sort (further details unknown to me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

I'm surprised that, as I read it, it is only a 2 litre???? Not enough grunt for my liking. Apart from that, the high tax rates on vehicles made and bought in Thailand are reason enough not to buy here. 

Is that metric grunt or imperial grunt?

Pure engine size alone is no longer a measure of "grunt" unless one still subscribes to the old mantra, "There's no replacement for displacement."

Having said that, I did like my Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie SLT / 4X4 / 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

...Thai FB news...

And there you have it.

My mate had the option of getting one last month but like myself, he's waiting for at least a year when the bugs are knocked out and things have been tweaked. Actually, I am waiting for the cash from Mrs Nan.

If true though, kudos to Ford for doing a fast, straight replacement. Maybe the big fines for the Focus transmission issues has taught corporate a lesson. If you create a product for a completely new, high-end market that doesn't really exist and ask the other manufacturers to join the fray and 'beat that', your product better be pretty unbeatable.

Build it and they will come.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Lets face it motor heads, engine cc are getting smaller and smaller but have much higher output compared to a few years back.

I rented a small Opel SUV when back in DK last month, 1.2 turbo petrol engine, very nippy.

For my family driving app 10-12K km per year, small cc engines makes most sense, saving fuel when popping around town but still a bit grunt for longer trips. Most km's done doing school runs urban area Pattaya.

Would still prefer a 5L Ford Mustang to be honest, ha-ha. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Imagine the cost to fix a ploblem with the bi-turbo set up...?

And if it does have a turbo ploblem you are left with a 2ltr to get the heavy weight home until it is fixed..

I personally would prefer a bigger cc lump just in case..

I think the turbo unit itself will be ok - it was run red hot for 200hours straight and survived. It's all the other bits and pieces I would be concerned about. The thing is full of sensors that are expensive to replace. 

The engine itself has been used for a couple of years in Europe, so I would hope Ford Thailand bothered to look at what issues have arisen with them. I was considering the Everest, but will wait a year, at least. There aren't even any reviews out on it yet from Thailand, yet they are selling them and I've seen a few around already. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I hope that biturbo engine will come in the Ranger/Everest models later on.

As mentioned, it already has. I think it's good value in the wildtrak compared to the raptor. I know someone who has tested it. The wildtrak will go less than 10 seconds for 0-100 if it's not carrying too much weight. The raptor is also over 160kg more than the wildtrak. The raptor would be nicer to drive on the road due to its everest rear suspension and wider track. 

On 9/22/2018 at 9:04 AM, thequietman said:

So .... yeh can't afford it, eh?    ?

Not stupid enough to throw  money away in life on a de valuing asset got me where I am today, unlike  many Thais and others  worldwide I have no debt, but you go ahead and  borrow  that money over the next 5  years if  you like, show me how to be the  "big man in the  village/moo ban " .

I wouldnt be assuming anything regarding my finances if I was you though..

Some other items you may want to consider   below , I think youd  look great in it

article-1245128-07F53410000005DC-498_468x286.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Is that metric grunt or imperial grunt?

Pure engine size alone is no longer a measure of "grunt" unless one still subscribes to the old mantra, "There's no replacement for displacement."

Having said that, I did like my Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie SLT / 4X4 / 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Ha ha metric....

Yes I know that more modern engineering provides more horse power (I guess those are imperial horses) and with turbo's and other bells and whistles can move pretty quick. But I am a bit old school and something similar to your 5.9L Cummins is what I was talking about, especially in a 4x4..

On 9/22/2018 at 9:04 AM, transam said:

If we are going to talk "Top End" pickups it looks like Mercs offering will trounce the Raptor at the stop light drags and a long straight road..Now that would be a bit embarrassing for me..?

You could rebadge it  Nissan if u  like too

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unfortunately the 2.8 chevvy dumped on the Raptor in a recent Oz  test I posted elswhere..........not by much but........oh dear

....and then both dumped on by an average  saloon