The week that was in Thailand news: Visa advice - or why every man in Thailand needs a Bunbury.

rooster59

While I enjoy reading the musings of someone who has been here nearly as long as I have, recognizing and enjoying most of your references, I am also struck by how we have taken very different paths and led very different lives here in the Kingdom.

I didn’t do the multiple marriage route and stayed single until my mid-forties.  Never had to ask for a “visa” and opted not to bother with PR either.  I love dogs but not children and my skin crawled, on the all too frequent occasions, when I bumped into Trink cozying up to the mama-sans or shopping in Foodland.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stuart21 said:

‘my first Bangkok trip in 1982. A taxi driver took me there for free and paid for me to get in’

So begpacking is quite an ancient sport, then!

He clearly made plenty from the gem shops. I never asked for a free ride!

58 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

While I enjoy reading the musings of someone who has been here nearly as long as I have, recognizing and enjoying most of your references, I am also struck by how we have taken very different paths and led very different lives here in the Kingdom.

I didn’t do the multiple marriage route and stayed single until my mid-forties.  Never had to ask for a “visa” and opted not to bother with PR either.  I love dogs but not children and my skin crawled, on the all too frequent occasions, when I bumped into Trink cozying up to the mama-sans or shopping in Foodland.

Everyone, including you obviously, has a great tale to tell. I offer my own as an entertainment and hope the stories bring the odd smile.

Trink was a tad creepy....that medallion! We used to call Foodland at Patpong "Foodland A-Go-Go" due to the chance of meeting someone at the cheese counter.

Another interesting take on the week.  I'll agree with you on the question of dogs, although I wouldn't quite say that I hate them with a passion.  However, it's possibly a risky subject to bring up on here, I sometimes think some TV readers have more concern for dogs than humans.  I am also in total agreement with your wife, regarding the fate of the kindergarden child rapists, but I expect a wai and a 500 baht fine will be the end result.  Call me a cynic.  At least the Brits locked up the killers of Jamie Bulger for a long time. 

"And all owners who let their pets out severely fined after a first offence then jailed and the pets put down or found proper homes after the second."

And the same criteria should be applied to the same (Thai?) poster who said that it was "just" an accident and neither the grandmother or the owner of the dogs, or indeed the dogs themselves deserved punishment. 

Another great read Rooster , particularly like the Bunbury !!

Although your sermons always leave me with a smile on my face, today was different !, but through no fault of yours.

The James Bulger incident brought back floods of sad memories. My son Jamie was two years old at the time of the killing and the feeling that it could have been him was overwhelming !! Didn’t let him out of my sight for a long time after that fateful day !!

• Like 1

Yeah, children always take priority over animals, no contest. Still dogs have their uses, not everyone is into the need for a personal companion who will love them unconditionally (though, I suspect this is what a lot of guys seek in Thailand). But greyhounds - now there's a dog for a racing man who can't afford a race-horse. Does greyhound racing even exist in Thailand? Had some happy times in Brighton at the Brighton and Hove Greyhound Stadium.

• Like 1

So I see there are a few clever expats here who can speak and read Thai. Rooster your articles are insightful , lighthearted and full of my type of innuendo. Keep it up.

I need some help for my Thai GF as she sees mega bargains which she keeps wanting to be involved in. How can I translate " if it sounds too good to be true, it is" ?