My Thai wife always ask me when will my salary come

mentalcolonization

My Thai Partner always asks around the 15th of the month, " When salary out?"
By agreement she keeps her "salary" - yes she works, in a savings account - I have the ATM card.

I set a budget of 28,000 for rent, utilities and food plus 3 - 5000 to blow on unnecessary stuff, I pay.

The "We need money?" is also a honest question asked after the 15th, if so, we raid HER account for no more than 2000Thb, about every other month we go """over""" budget.

SO FAR things have worked out.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:20 AM, janclaes47 said:

Who said I rent house and transportation?

I don't need a Thai partner to LEGALLY OWN a house and transportation in my personal name in Thailand, but maybe you didn't figure that out by yourself yet.

luv your style, they keep setting their selves up, you keep knocking em down, i think maybe you've hit a nerve with a few here.????

• Like 2

Well, one thing I learn VERY fast about living in Thailand is that MONY is their GOD, not Buddha, so if you get involved, and really think your partner loves you, tell your partner that you have 1/2 the income that you really have and see how long she lasts.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, shadowofacloud said:

Try telling her you are unemployed now and see what happens.

This relation is called (Rent a wife) no payment, they will walk the same day, my good mate, 7 years with his wife, could not pay her any more money, she left the next day.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, travelman6 said:

Well, one thing I learn VERY fast about living in Thailand is that MONY is their GOD, not Buddha, so if you get involved, and really think your partner loves you, tell your partner that you have 1/2 the income that you really have and see how long she lasts.

better still get a independent lady you dont have to pay for, theirs plenty out there if your of a reasonable age, size and looks.

So the reality is, in the “developing world” finances means being able to cover the basics of existence. Add to that the lack of social programs and the position of females in the culture and... well, seems to me there is reason for money concerns. Yes, there are the “takers” Buddha knows we are certainly seeing this in the US but, security is more pressing here. Just be careful out there ... as in any culture. Ha! Always said a sterile orphan girl might be best here.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Thai wife of many years and I have a housekeeping account and a holiday account. Direct debit on the 1st of each month from my account into the housekeeping account. Whatever’s left each month gets moved into the holiday account. Been doing that for many years now with no issues.

However with my first wife an Ozzy girl, she could not save a penny no matter how much she had. That was my fault in a way because she had access to the account my salary was paid into, yes I know, silly move on my part. I learned the hard way and it will never happen again. Sometimes your lucky and sometimes your not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, NanLaew said:

Doesn't happen to me, but then I also don't happen to have a Thai wife or gf, for the very reason described in the thread title.

Correct, neither do I, I took the time to read the sacred books like, "Money number one, Private dancer" so left all my money overseas. Heard of many failed relationships here, very very few successful ones

On 9/25/2018 at 11:01 PM, janclaes47 said:

Doesn't happen to me, but then I also don't happen to have a Thai wife or gf, for the very reason described in the thread title.

Doesn t happen to me either, she just gives me the atm card and I help myself.........to her money

• Like 1

For me this thread is not about the terminology a wife/partner uses when asking about the housekeeping money. (My lady simply asks if the money has gone into her bank yet)

Instead, It's an interesting insight into the personality, fears, ineptitude and unsociability of so many male expats who wind up on these shores. 

Financial arrangements made between two people living together, whether in Thailand, or home country, may have consensus, discussion, argument and occasional enemy action.  If you go into such an arrangement with closed eyes and mind, whatever the country, you are very foolish and may get burned. Many of those who claim they will be ripped off by the Thai She Devil if they dare dip their toe in the pool, probably had the letter L tattooed on their foreheads long before coming here.

Of course there are unique matters to be considered when deciding to partner with a Thai lady. They don't have equal pay, and most will be more focused on home and family than a career. You have probably become her ultimate promotion in life. It is expected you will pay for everything, and her insecurities, possibly related to a former life of poverty, will sometimes guide her words and actions regarding finances.

If you put all your financial eggs into her basket and rely on your looks and winning personality to keep her forever, you deserve what may happen. Keep your main savings and income sources separate. 

She will have different cultural and family issues from what we are used to in the west, but the smart punter will accept and even embrace her differences. When frustration occasionally hits I tend to make comparison with the 3 former wives back home and realize I've never been richer in several ways than I am right now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

I notice how many farang husbands write cynical comments about their Thai wives.

Just want to say that I am married in Thailand since 30 years and that I have given my Thai wife online access to all my bank accounts abroad and in Thailand because she manages our household budget better than I do  :  I never had any reason to complain...but when I married her I did not take my decision based on agitation deep below my belt.

Happy for you.  Really, I am.

#22 black comes up on the roulette wheel, too.  But I'm not sure betting that way is a good strategy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Does that mean a 50/50 split of deposits into that joint account?? 

thought so!!

I guess it depends on the circumstances.  My wife doesn't work, so it's all my money, but raising our son and running our household is joint.  We both have separate savings accounts, but a joint account makes sense for weekly/monthly expenditure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travelman6 said:

Over 20 years so far.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2018 at 12:13 AM, pr9spk said:

Somehow I feel that if Western countries didn't give out free money to all and sundry, the women there would be EXACTLY the same. Except nowhere near as beautiful, slim and attractive.

And OK, a bit off topic, but the same reason for the low unemployment figures in Thailand!