Thanathorn blasts Thai military for creating “vicious circle” at New York forum

webfact

17 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

A brave man.

Irrespective of whether he is wealthy or not he has stepped out of the ranks (so to speak) and given it a go on an international forum.

Therefore breaking the Thai code of deafening silence on anything that may be construed as criticism of Shangri-La.

Unfortunately he has condemned himself out of his own mouth, does he truly expect to be able to return (in safety) to Thailand?? Traffic accident, suicide, botched robbery or family loss of face...one of these things will happen!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TPI said:

Unfortunately he has condemned himself out of his own mouth, does he truly expect to be able to return (in safety) to Thailand?? Traffic accident, suicide, botched robbery or family loss of face...one of these things will happen!!

Sometimes in politics it takes the sacrifice of a hero to make heroes to change a country's future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Would be interesting to see his party in driver's seat. My bet is in 2.45 days they'd be right on the same old, same old path as all the others.

I hate to be negative all the time but I must agree. Those of us who have been here for a couple or several decades have seen these sweet talkers before. Nothing ever changes. At all. 

• Sad 1

On 9/27/2018 at 1:49 AM, Fex Bluse said:

I hate to be negative all the time but I must agree. Those of us who have been here for a couple or several decades have seen these sweet talkers before. Nothing ever changes. At all. 

There's really no need for change, yes? 

Where's the real repression?

56 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

As a well-educated foreigner, I suppose there is not much oppression that affects me directly. 

However, had I been born an average Thai and my opportunities severely restricted from day 1 and then convinced during my socialization that I should be thankful for and unquestioning of my lot in life and told that "good people" earned/deserved all their relative wealth and power and right to exploit me as they see fit, then I might have a different idea about oppression. 

No way to know for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Unfortunately there is a point, many Thais don't want much change because 'makes you think to  much / too serious', and also because their knowledge of what democracy really means, the benefits of democracy and what real democracy looks like and feels like is almost unknown.

The gurus of successful change will tell you a million times, 'folks must be convinced of the need for change and know exactly what change will bring, what it will look like  and what benefits it will have for them personally, without all of that the chances of successful change are slim.

However this young guy is well educated abroad and hopefully he's well aware of all of the above and does strongly focus on these points. Good luck to him. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1