Supporting a "rich" girl with money ??

Bjarneb

11 hours ago, Bjarneb said:

Not the sex I am paying for either. In that case I have over payed a lot and would rather get my harem, as someone suggested.

Put quite a lot money in charity though. And she aslways supported that, unntil recently, when she said that I should rather support her. Might be some of "I wanna be richer than you" kind of things, as you mention. Most of her friends are actually richer than her.

Ah well, it might a cultural thing or most likely a global cultural showoff thing.
Just wanted to hear from more experienced people if it was something related to thai culture or not 

Thai culture maybe but the dark underbelly of bad Thai culture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

I didn't really have a choice, as I just didn't have the kind of money she was asking for and she wouldn't back down or believe that I couldn't afford it.  As I protested that I couldn't afford what she was asking, I could see I was diminishing my status as a farang and becoming just a "khee niaow" tight fisted farang, or, if she believed me, a poor and worthless farang, which is obviously even worse.  I started to hate myself listening to my protestations and got to a point when the light bulb suddenly came on and I realised that it was all over.  Lucky for me that it came to a head when it did.  Months later I lost my job in Hong Kong and really struggled eking out my savings to look for a new job to be able to stay in Asia.  I was glad to have already ditched the financial baggage before it became a problem by then. 

I have come across many Thai's here in Florida that married farangs, only to move here and finally learn the truth the hard way that all farang's are not rich!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The manic said:

In Thailand it is.

Perhaps if you are a school teacher but no, other than that it is not rich at all.

Look at some of the prices of real estate listed on this website.

7 million wouldn't get you anything

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Its always about sex. Otherwise why have a girl friend! BTW..Rich or Poor this girl is a parasite 

Yeah, I always wondered what guys that have girlfriends 'but not for sex' do with them.

Banging, babies, and childcare are just about all I can imagine doing with a girlfriend.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bar girls in Pattaya were usually happy to move in for 10k/month.

I hired one for 12k/month before I knew better.

I don't believe any of the girls I am talking about were bar girls in Pattaya. The B30k is what at least two farangs have told me they pay and I am not talking about farangs living here on a budget.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I don't believe any of the girls I am talking about were bar girls in Pattaya.

Why would you pay more for the same service?

And the bar girls generally give really good service.

Please,

Let's not pretend there are any educated women in Thailand with the top Thai university being placed 600th in the world. Even I managed to attend the 250th and the 80th.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Why would you pay more for the same service?

And the bar girls generally give really good service.

Please,

Let's not pretend there are any educated women in Thailand with the top Thai university being placed 600th n the world. Even I managed to attend the 250th and the 80th.

I do not pay bar girls to live with me, never have. So, I do not know why someone would pay more; perhaps they think they are getting a better deal. Why do some buy them houses and cars and support their parents, siblings, boyfriends and buffaloes?

And, I have no idea what you mean about pretending they are educated. Where did you get that idea?

18 hours ago, Bjarneb said:

Not the sex I am paying for either. In that case I have over payed a lot and would rather get my harem, as someone suggested.

Put quite a lot money in charity though. And she aslways supported that, unntil recently, when she said that I should rather support her. Might be some of "I wanna be richer than you" kind of things, as you mention. Most of her friends are actually richer than her.

Ah well, it might a cultural thing or most likely a global cultural showoff thing.
Just wanted to hear from more experienced people if it was something related to thai culture or not 

Maybe she's lost a tonne of money investing in the Malaysian stock market

and is no longer as rich as she was before!

19 hours ago, Bjarneb said:

Was thinking the same. Have a talk and get someone down to earth, or make a run.
Was new side of her coming up now, which left me a bit confused. 

I'm confused! Even rich families do not have expenses that even come close to 100k monthly. Seems to me she is already planning to do a runner on him once she plunders all his money. 

By the way, if she is from a so called rich family then why does she need your money at all? 

My wife is from a rich family... Sure out expenses are excessive to the tune of aboit 50k monthly.. But alot of that is from my extravagant spending and travelling. 

Did you ever think the reason you won't need to pay any sinsod is really because the million dowry is nothing compared to the millions she is collecting from you already?

Why don't you approach this woman and tell her your income has been reduced.. if she really loves you after 4 years together... She will not care and show her love is for you and not for your money.. But I beg to warn you that she will most likely dump you and go find another rich foreigner to feed her pockets instead of filling her heart. 

19 hours ago, Bjarneb said:

Was thinking the same. Have a talk and get someone down to earth, or make a run.
Was new side of her coming up now, which left me a bit confused. 

Seems a lot is out with this story.

Women of wealth, not only in Thailand, especially younger women will rarely form relationships with men of a lower financial status than them. They are more inclined to seek men wealthier than they are. Also, as you said, she has her own business and condos, that I guess she rents out otherwise why would she have them, so why do you have to support her until she sells her house?

Are you of similar ages or are you much older than her? If your fiancée is young enough to be your daughter or granddaughter, even if she were not well off it`s going to cost you one way or another. It is also well known that middle to upper class Thai women prefer to marry with Thai men, so what makes you so special in her eyes? Are you a young hansum man or financially loaded? 

Not accusing you of being a troll, but I do find this story difficult to believe.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bjarneb said:

Maybe she really isn't as rich as you have been led to believe. I would say it is how she feels loved, if you have the money whats the big deal

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Why don't you approach this woman and tell her your income has been reduced.. if she really loves you after 4 years together... She will not care and show her love is for you and not for your money.. But I beg to warn you that she will most likely dump you and go find another rich foreigner to feed her pockets instead of filling her heart. 

Only poor woman accept poor men. Rich woman never marry down!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

I'm confused! Even rich families do not have expenses that even come close to 100k monthly. Seems to me she is already planning to do a runner on him once she plunders all his money. 

By the way, if she is from a so called rich family then why does she need your money at all? 

My wife is from a rich family... Sure out expenses are excessive to the tune of aboit 50k monthly.. But alot of that is from my extravagant spending and travelling. 

Did you ever think the reason you won't need to pay any sinsod is really because the million dowry is nothing compared to the millions she is collecting from you already?

The OP should consider whether there will really be no demand for sinsod, if he decides to marry her. She has already moved the goal posts on the monthly allowance, which was apparently supposed to be only temporary to tide her over until she could sell her house.  What she told him about sinsod only being demanded by the families of simple "province girls" is totally untrue.  Wealthier Thais usually like to represent the sinsod they demand for their daughters as something they don't need but have to show as a matter of face.  Unions between movie stars or the offspring of wealthy Sino Thai business families often publicise the amount of sinsod in the tens or hundreds of millions of baht.  

I can just picture the OP being told than she doesn't want sinsod like a province girl and her parents certainly don't need the money but it is important for their face to be able to tell people they got x million for flogging off their daughter to a rich farang. Then you start getting into negotiations about how much of the cash and gold is returned to the couple, which usually means to the bride, if any is ever returned.  Search TV for threads about sinsod agreements like this that turned out less well than hoped for.  If you ask to pay in installments, you might find yourself suffering the Thai equivalent of the Indian bride burning that happens when the bride's family defaults on the promised dowry installments. 

Edited by Dogmatix

10 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

The OP should consider whether there will really be no demand for sinsod, if he decides to marry her. She has already moved the goal posts on the monthly allowance, which was apparently supposed to be only temporary to tide her over until she could sell her house.  What she told him about sinsod only being demanded by the families of simple "province girls" is totally untrue.  Wealthier Thais usually like to represent the sinsod they demand for their daughters as something they don't need but have to show as a matter of face.  Unions between movie stars or the offspring of wealthy Sino Thai business families often publicise the amount of sinsod in the tens or hundreds of millions of baht.  

I can just picture the OP being told than she doesn't want sinsod like a province girl and her parents certainly don't need the money but it is important for their face to be able to tell people they got x million for flogging off their daughter to a rich farang. Then you start getting into negotiations about how much of the cash and gold is returned to the couple, which usually means to the bride, if any is ever returned.  Search TV for threads about sinsod agreements like this that turned out less well than hoped for.  If you ask to pay in installments, you might find yourself suffering the Thai equivalent of the Indian bride burning that happens when the bride's family defaults on the promised dowry installments. 

I guess most of what you say is reasonably OK.

What I don't understand is why farang bother to while their time away with ladies and families like this,

what a waste.

14 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

You obviously don't live a very extravagant life if you think 50K for 2 people is excessive!

Before I moved to Thailand I was working in Hong Kong and took up with a girl who worked for our local agents in Thailand.  The relationship got quite serious and she didn't ask for anything financially for about a year. After that she effectively told me I had to sh*t or get off the pot which was a sort of variation on the OP's theme.  Her argument was that all her friends knew she was going out with a farang who came down regularly from Hong Kong but she was having to endure a loss of face because she wasn't seen to be doing well financially out of this relationship. She was still living in the same crummy one room apartment and driving the same old small car bought on installments. She didn't ask for an allowance at that point but said that to continue the relationship I needed to give her a lump sum and buy her a new car.  At the time I was not earning a great deal in Hong Kong and my job security was extremely tenuous.  I didn't have a car of my own and didn't have the money to buy her a new one, let alone pay her a lump sum.  So I never found out exactly how much she had in mind.  I realised that, given the terms demanded and the expectation that were clearly way over my head, I was financially unable to continue the relationship.  So with sadness in my heart I broke it off.  After a few months I started to feel hugely relieved as if I had dodged a bullet and it turned out to be very lucky that I had no choice but to break it off because I didn't have the money. 

Years later after I had moved to Thailand and was doing a lot better financially.  The girl was about to get married to a not very well off Thai man she had been living with for a few years.  She invited me to the wedding and called me and asked to meet up with me beforehand.  When we met, she told me that preferred me and I only had to say the word and she would cancel her wedding and go back to me instead, without citing any specific financial conditions this time. Needless to say, "Thanks but, no thanks" was my response. Her marriage went ahead but ended in acrimonious divorce a few years later.     

Great story

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app