How to gain weight in Thailand?

RamenRaven

there is a sort of banana pancake called loti sold by the various mobile food vendors, it will make you fat.

also, running long distances & cycling burns both fat and muscles, you can not become muscular or fat with those habits

51 minutes ago, poanoi said:

there is a sort of banana pancake called loti sold by the various mobile food vendors, it will make you fat.

also, running long distances & cycling burns both fat and muscles, you can not become muscular or fat with those habits

You mean 'Roti'    

I am not sure that Thailand is place where it is difficult to gain weight. Look at what Thai office girls eat. Day starts with one of those donut thingies or a white bread sandwich with sugar spread on it. Eat several sweet and fatty snacks during the day washed down with those few of those "supersize me" cold coffees with full fat milk and 8 spoonfuls of sugar in the form of syrup. Lunch is noodles with sugar sprinkled on the top. Have dinner with more sugar added to the food with coke or sprite and finish with a sweet Thai desert. Type 2 diabetes is an added bonus.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, seancbk said:

"What's even mysterious is how portly and big many of the Farang expats are. In this anti-fat environment with low-energy food and infrastructure built for midgets, how is it possible for so many Westerners to be very fat instead of very skinny?"

Do you drink 10 pints of beer 3 nights a week?  

Stop doing all the running and biking, instead sit around on your arse and watch TV.

Why are you only eating Thai food?  What about burgers, pizza, pasta?  There is loads of food available that will bulk you up like crazy.   

I am just back from a three week holiday in Scotland, and to compensate for not doing my usual exercises here in Thailand, I ran up and down six flights of stairs two at a time about five times a day, and still gained three Kilos.

That was caused by eating a lot of ice cream every day.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Shiver said:

While others may have more comprehensive suggestions, I would look into Durian as a calorie dense/low volume source of healthy fats. I know with myself If I eat fats I can lose weight, or if I eat carbs I can lose weight, but the two combined I can pile it on (If I'm well behaved I look like a Meso, but beer can hide that).

Some say that mixing Durian with Alcohol is not a good idea, as both fats and the metabolites of Alcohol, when combined can give the liver a hard time.  There's a lot of misinformation, but it does appear to be based on a small amount of truth before being turned into urban myths and chinese whispers.

Yuck, no! Durian smells and gives me horrible gag reflexes. Might work for some durian-loving Thais, but durian would totally ruin my day. Most non-Asians absolutely despise durians. Even about half of all Asians hate durian.

17 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Excuse me, but you must not be from Pattaya?  The no shirt, fat farts are the rule of the day on these parts.....just go sit on a bar stool 12 hours a day and ride a motorbike....you will be a fat slob in no time flat!!!!????

IMG_0808.JPG

Chiang Mai.

There is a large community of emaciated athletic freaks in Northern Thailand, consisting of both Thais and Farangs. From cyclists to runners to ultrarunners to hikers to snake hunters to extreme motorcyclists to what not, the extremely outdoorsy people are all here. You name it, we have it.

You should meet my emaciated Farang friends. I'm certainly not the only one out there.

Pattaya expats should join us if they want to pig out as much as they want without getting fat.

14 hours ago, Tony125 said:

The fat farangs you see are from not exercising and drinking beer. You can gain weight by drinking beer but if you don't consume alcohol like me try eating carbs at night before a long run/bike ride in the morning. I was a runner most of my life and still do distance on a bike now. You must know that marathon runners and triathletes eat a lot of pasta the nite before a race to carbo load to have enough carbs to easily burn during a race. You can also go to any GNC stores or other health/supplement shops to buy weight gain whey powders to give you the calories and protein your body needs for the hard workouts your doing. "The Rock" Duane Johnson eats 6,000 calories a day to maintain his muscles and size.   Read post #18 , that shake can help maintain your weight. Try Pizza Company, if you get members card you can get 2  pizzas for the price of one so no extra cost to eat more. Can also use creatine to boost energy and strengthen your muscles, it's legal even for pro athletes. 

+1

One of the best posts, thanks. I don't eat large meals right before bedtime, and when I carb-load, it's usually several hours before bedtime.

Back home, I used to have carb-loading pasta parties with my friends. Here in Thailand, white rice should do the trick.

As for beer, it doesn't actually have that many calories. Fruit juice and sports drink can have more, and athletes drink a lot of them.

Thanks to all the members for the beer suggestions, which really made me laugh. But if you exercise a lot, alcohol is the last thing you want to have (drunk biking? that's scary, no thanks!). I always have tea or fruit juice instead.

Some other people are saying, stop all that exercise! But we exercise to compete, to win, and just for the hell of it too. Hardcore athletes don't really think that much about weight loss.

Now I'm easing into a new habit of drinking carbohydrates by drinking moderately sweet, healthy drinks. Before I was drinking almost exclusively water since sugary drinks don't quench thirst as well in hot, humid weather for some people.

11 hours ago, Arkady said:

I am not sure that Thailand is place where it is difficult to gain weight. Look at what Thai office girls eat. Day starts with one of those donut thingies or a white bread sandwich with sugar spread on it. Eat several sweet and fatty snacks during the day washed down with those few of those "supersize me" cold coffees with full fat milk and 8 spoonfuls of sugar in the form of syrup. Lunch is noodles with sugar sprinkled on the top. Have dinner with more sugar added to the food with coke or sprite and finish with a sweet Thai desert. Type 2 diabetes is an added bonus.

That's because Thai office girls tend to be tiny and don't need as many calories. Average female height in Thailand is 160 cm.

Calorie intake calculator:

https://bmi-calories.com/calorie-intake-calculator.html

Results for a female, 160 cm, 55 kg, 30 years old, sedentary (average height for an averagely built Thai women):

To maintain your weight you need     1586 Kcal/day

Results for a male, 190 cm, 80 kg, 25 years old, extra active (hypothetical Farang athlete; that's bigger than me)

To maintain your weight you need     3667 Kcal/day

As you can see, tall, active Farang men can literally burn twice (or more!) the number of calories needed by typical Thai office ladies.

On 9/29/2018 at 11:00 AM, RamenRaven said:

I counted calories and figured that I eat nearly 3,000 calories, and sometimes a bit more, everyday. That would fatten up shorter sedentary people, but isn't enough for me. In order to gain weight, I would need 3,500-4,000 calories. That's very easy to do with Farang fast food back home, since a 1,000-calorie meal is a piece of cake (pun intended) to chow down in Farangland with the large portions, cool weather, and calorie-dense treats. Not so easy to cram in 4,000 calories in Thailand.

I also live in a small mooban just south of Chiang Mai where there are no Western restaurants or fast food outlets nearby.

I run and bike up steep mountain trails and work out a lot, so I require a lot of energy. Currently I'm quite lean and healthy, but I'm just trying to figure out a way to not lose any more weight. Weight loss creeps up slowly on me like how weight gain creeps up slowly for some of you guys.

In the Army in Vietnam, we typically ate upwards to 5000 calories a day just to be able to hump the hills, carrying all that weight in the tropics wears on you, I was always hungry, - I take exception with your statement - 'its so hot and humid in Thailand I have to drink gallons of water'  then you feel full, no room for food??  unless you are a big sweater, you don;t need as much water as you think you do (or are programmed to drink) I am just the opposite, I can walk around Thailand and not even sweat, because I don't drink as much water as an average little kid - I drink two large Changs before I go to bed, the carbs and water is enough to replenish what you need.

Ok, back to your post, Thais tell me when they eat Kao Mueng Khai they gain weight, its boiled Hainese chicken and glutinous rice, I could eat it three times a day and never tire of it, I typically eat five smallish meals a day. Durian in season, will pack the pounds on you, I am addicted to it.  Ko Moo Dang (Red pork with sticky rice) is also fattening, but you don't want fat, you want muscle.  There is a clinic on Pattaya Tai road 'Testosterone Clinic' visit them and they will put you on a program that will encourage muscle growth (don't worry about cancer, by the time it materializes, you'll be dead anyway, it takes years)............mi dos centavos

Edited by TunnelRat69

I can walk around Thailand and not sweat so much, but it's physiologically impossible for anyone to run or bike at full intensity in Thailand without sweating profusely.

How did you get your 5,000 calories as a Vietnam War soldier? I've heard about soldiers using those energy bars and pastes.

20 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Excuse me, but you must not be from Pattaya?  The no shirt, fat farts are the rule of the day on these parts.....just go sit on a bar stool 12 hours a day and ride a motorbike....you will be a fat slob in no time flat!!!!????

IMG_0808.JPG

Big Pattaya dude should join me and my athlete friends. He will probably look like this in about a year, provided he puts in as much effort as we do. Many Thai women probably dig super-skinny guys, but not Western women who want bodybuilder types.

image.png.351e8bb4c685a1a95015cf395bb4ca1b.png

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

not sure I agree with this

the 5 large beers every evening i'm told is around 1500 calories

See this thread.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/184099-how-many-calories-in-beer-chang-and-in-sangsom/

About 200 calories or so for each large beer bottle.

5 bottles would be 1,000 calories, give or take.

if you are very active, that is hardly going to make you fat.

Most alcoholics are not very active though.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2018 at 2:08 AM, RamenRaven said:

+1

One of the best posts, thanks. I don't eat large meals right before bedtime, and when I carb-load, it's usually several hours before bedtime.

Back home, I used to have carb-loading pasta parties with my friends. Here in Thailand, white rice should do the trick.

As for beer, it doesn't actually have that many calories. Fruit juice and sports drink can have more, and athletes drink a lot of them.

Thanks to all the members for the beer suggestions, which really made me laugh. But if you exercise a lot, alcohol is the last thing you want to have (drunk biking? that's scary, no thanks!). I always have tea or fruit juice instead.

Some other people are saying, stop all that exercise! But we exercise to compete, to win, and just for the hell of it too. Hardcore athletes don't really think that much about weight loss.

Now I'm easing into a new habit of drinking carbohydrates by drinking moderately sweet, healthy drinks. Before I was drinking almost exclusively water since sugary drinks don't quench thirst as well in hot, humid weather for some people.

Was in GNC yesterday at The Mall Ngam Wong Wan Road and they had a sale all their weight gain powders buy 1 get 1 free

High T

If you’re looking to grow lean muscle mass and to perform better in the gym, proper nutrition is key.

Immediately after you finish your workout, you’ll want to make sure to digest some protein to help speed up recovery and to start the muscle building process.

For most people, a shake that contains roughly 40g of protein will work. That’s typically two scoops of any protein powder.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing

Edited by Tony125
  • Thanks 1