2018 Honda CRV, second hand luxury, or ??

Hi folks,

My old beater Nissan NV has been good to me... but it's come time to upgrade to an actual proper car. 

Been looking at 2018 Honda CRV, looks pretty nice. Wish it had a sunroof! But don't see too many other flaws. Anyone own one? Love it? Hate it? Advice or tips? Also looked at the HRV, but it seems for the money it's better to spring for the CRV, more power, more space, more luxurious. 

Alternately, I'm considering a second hand luxury something, maybe BMW X3, X5 or Audi Q5. I'd love a 2017 Mercedes E-class (or GLE) but they are still a bit out of my budget range. Ideally I'd like to keep things around the 1.5M baht range, def no more than 2M baht. 

Been reading some reports here on Thai Visa saying BMWs are expensive to service, and that Mercedes are better. Not sure how much that plays in.

I will admit that after owning an Accord for 20 years in the states, I'd kinda like to "upgrade" past Honda and into something a bit higher-end. That being said, the new Accords are pretty plush! I'd consider one of those as well, but I do like the additional storage and the upright seating of the CRV. 

Will I be disappointed in the CRV, previously coming from an Accord? Considering my accord was a 1997, I'm guessing anything will seem luxurious at this point... ????

Any advice or info would be appreciated! Thank you! ????

What is your priority, comfort, performance, fuel economy, plush ride, high riding vehicle, 2wd vs all-wheel drive? Any current honda will be a huge increase over a 20 y.o one. There should be a new honda accord out late this year or early next year. Don't but the old model now. Same for toyota camry. If you don't need a large sedan the honda civic turbo is pretty quick stock, and can be remapped form 220+ HP. 

I would compare the new cr-v to the cx-5, as they are close; the cx-5 is smaller but more sporty, the cr-v is larger inside. Euro cars will become very expensive to maintain over the long term. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. Honestly my priorities are plush ride, quiet ride, storage and I also like technology. The HRV was nice, but seemed like a pretty noticeable level down from the CRV. But it does have a sunroof! However, I have thought that with the heat and with all the diesel smoke here, perhaps a sunroof isn't so groovy here like it is in California. 

I also live on a small mountain with roads that can get muddy sometimes. Cars have never had any problems, but I do think that a 4WD thats more high-riding like an SUV would be more ideal. I also like the upright sitting feeling that SUVs provide, vs lower/crunched down. That being said, my old Accord in USA has never ever felt uncomfortable to me.  

I did see that new Accord while in California last month, and its really nice! Not super keen on the push-button transmission, but apparently thats the way Honda is headed, even w the CRV. The Honda Thailand website shows the push-button transmission on the CRV as well, but I've not seen any in person that have it. Assuming they will change over to that for 2019.

I should check out the CX5, I have been considering it. Thx for the recommendation. My neighbor has the CX3 and he likes it. There's some thing not-so "wow" about Mazda for me, maybe because I had one 25 years ago. But I'm sure the new ones are nice. Sporty would be good! I don't think I need all THAT much more storage space, i just like to go get plants from Khamthien market sometimes, and have been eyeing SUVs for years. 

Lastly, I did schlep into the Mercedes dealer here in CM yesterday, just for some looking and investigation! Probably shouldn't have done that haha ???? ???? Although, despite the cars being REALLY nice, I just don't think there's any way I can justify the 4M - 5M baht price tag. Yes, they have a 0% financing option for 48 months right now. BUT! Thats 1M baht down, and 60,000 baht/mo for 4 years ???? Another minus for German cars here is you cant get all the same options as you can in USA or EU. So, you end up paying nearly double, for the crappy / toned-down model ???? Just don't think it makes sense in the long run... especially considering my needs. I mainly just go to town and back, not a heavy driver. 

Too many problems with BMWs, Mercedes and most saloon cars. They all have low wheel bases and the CRV is more suitable for negotiating the floods and potholes in Bangkok and Thailand as a whole. I upgraded to a Honda CRV 5 years ago and have been very happy with it.

• Like 2

BMW and Mercedes have different SUV’s. BMW X2 is not bad, but you can increase space and comfort until X6.
I had a CRV before but the new model IMO is very ugly. Many smaller cars have now CVT gear, I advice to test before purchase, personally I would never buy a car with CVT gear very boring..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Hello OP, im going through the same thoughts as you. Been using same Toyota Altis 1.8 since 14 yeast and I think I need to upgrade and sweeten my ride a bit. Last Saturday I test drove Camry hybrid and it was definitely more comfortable and roomy than the Altis. The new Camry is going to be out in November and expect to have more features and new design interior.

I have been comparing european cars bkw vs volvo vs Mercedes. All are good but the price tag puts me off. Spending 3-4m on a single item of liability is at cringe worthy this point for me. The Camry top model is half the price and more spacious with many good functions. In addition, the mentainance costs of German cars are ridiculously high. Even their sales people admit to this.

i have more or less decided on the Camry though I am yet to see the crv.

Which would you choose between the Camry and crv and why?

I have bought my CRV 2.4 in April 2015.

I chose the 2.4 engine as I wanted more overtaking power. Good choice as the 7 gears CVT + extra HP has given me useful extra safety.

When I buy a motor vehicle I buy a service, since we live in Buriram a BMW or Mercedes would imply servicing in Korat; just out of the question. And why pay double, mostly for face? I say so because I just can't understand the emotional thing about cars or the other dedicated people terminators (motorbikes).

I would rate the reliability + service package as outstanding. I get 13.9 km/liter E20 (32.7 US MPG).

So if, you asked me what my next car would be? I'd say CRV 2.4; and they dropped the price by about 10% since the arrival of the 1.6 diesel...

When I bought my CRV if wondered if a HRV + some pickup would be a good idea, but since we are a family of 4 I preferred to go for the CRV.

HRV is based on the Jazz, so it's a small car.

I had the previous gen CRV (2.0 AWD model). Bland but competent. Comfortable on long journeys. Masses of space inside. Reasonable fuel economy. Had it for about 3 years and there were no mechanical or other issues. Sold it and bought the current model for my wife (2.4 AWD). Personally I preferred the previous model. The 2.4 petrol is an old engine but reliable. However it guzzles gas - highway mileage isn't much better than my 2.0 turbo Scirocco - and it accelerates like Bernard Manning chasing a pint. The latest CRV also feels much bigger in footprint terms than the previous one. For instance it's much harder, I think, to judge where the front of the car is when turning in tight spots. They also stuck in a 3rd row of seat in the boot. Really stupid if you ask me because they're only suitable for emergency use by dwarves or small children, and although the fold down flat, they take up some boot space. I bet they'll get dropped in the next face lift.

Personally I'd prefer to have bought the turbo-diesel CX-5. I test drove one and it has loads of power and torque. Much more entertaining to drive than CRV. But the wife likes Honda ..

Of course none of these are true 4WD. Big difference between AWD and 4WD. I agree Audi Q5 is a great car but prices of X3/Q5 etc are ridiculous here. Even more so for models that are locally assembled and which in US/Europe are similarly priced.

Maybe a top of the line Isuzu or Ford pick up might be an option?

• Like 1

I still have my 2003 CR-V, it has a sun/moon roof.  I will purchase a newer vehicle this coming year and the Subaru Forester or Outback are in the running. Have  you checked out those Subaru because they are All Wheel Drive. If I go CRV again it will be the AWD version again.

• Like 2

Yes, we purchased a CRV six months ago. Actually, today it will have its first service.

In my opinion, the car is a great family vehicle and it gets good use with our two kids.

It's a little on the expensive side to run, but the engine is great and certainly powerful.

Other positives include the quality of the interior, spacious interior, its good looks, and, most importantly, the way it drives. We have the AWD version and it drives like a dream.

I've driven Fortunas and Pajero Sports before - they drive like trucks, and you're bumping around all over the place.

The CRV actually drives like a car, and quite a powerful car at that.

Cheers, C

Edited by cms22
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, DavisH said:

What is your priority, comfort, performance, fuel economy, plush ride, high riding vehicle, 2wd vs all-wheel drive? Any current honda will be a huge increase over a 20 y.o one. There should be a new honda accord out late this year or early next year. Don't but the old model now. Same for toyota camry. If you don't need a large sedan the honda civic turbo is pretty quick stock, and can be remapped form 220+ HP. 

I would compare the new cr-v to the cx-5, as they are close; the cx-5 is smaller but more sporty, the cr-v is larger inside. Euro cars will become very expensive to maintain over the long term. 

Unless you have a large family, I'd definitely go with the new CX-5. It's gorgeous inside and out, better handling and all round performance. The CRV looks like a whale just abiut to give birth. Although I acknowledge they are a reliable and very practical car, inspiring they are not. CX-5 handles tightly, yet soaks up the bumps on the dodgy local roads. Very impressive machine. 

• Like 1

My partner and I just bought a new CR-V  a few months ago and we love it. We moved up from an HR-V.  We liked the HR-V but the CR-V feels better for highway driving and has a more comfortable ride. It has about all the luxury things you could need. I don't drive but my partner likes the backup camera and it also has a side camera to see those pesky motorcycles coming up beside you.  Power everything, very comfortable seats, lots of carrying capacity, and it can seat 7 in a pinch--although the 2 people in the 3rd row seats need to be on the small side.  Plenty of power when you need it, too.  Like the navigation features, too, on the big display screen.

We took a driving trip to Chiang Mai and arrived not tired from the drive.  Bought a lot of stuff and it all fitted easily in the car.  Partner says he often doesn't realize he is going 130 kph because the car is so stable.  Just as an aside, his brother-in-law bought a BMW 320 recently and I don't think he is too happy with it.  Very cramped in the back seats for 3, big hump in the middle, and he doesn't like how the steering feels at high speeds.  

Hy OP,

I'm a former Merc guy when I was living in Europe. I had 6 E and S series all with diesel engines 5,  and V6 cylinders. I was very happy with all of them and had no problem except a failing water pump on a brand new E320CDI. All changed for free at Mer dealer. Then in 2007 I moved to Argentina where the prices of the Merc were like in Thailand i.e .....ridiculously too high for what it is. After looking at several cars I opted for the CRV 2.4 which made me happy fot 8 years. Then moving to Thailand, and considering the various types of road conditions, I bought again a 2015 CRV 4 WD. Even much better than the one I had in Argentina. Very confortable (I'm 1.90 tall and 120 kg), very easy to drive, nice looking for a SUV, not looking like a truck, much more real space inside that the big Pajero of a friend of mine. Good quality material, excellent engine, reliable (except batteries here!!!) and the Jomtien HONDA dealer does its best to satisfy your requests and by the way they are at 4 km from my home which is not their fault but very practical for me. Maintenance costs are OK for this type of vehicule and fuel consumption remains acceptable. WD system useless in very muddy conditions due to the limit of the tyres but nice when you have to drive in "normal" slippery conditions like heavy rain or sandy roads, and the height of the body is excellent when you have to go through road floods like around Pattaya.. Happy Honda customer... My next car will be again a CRV

Edited by domdom
  • Like 2

"I've driven Fortunas and Pajero Sports before - they drive like trucks, and you're bumping around all over the place.

The CRV actually drives like a car, and quite a powerful car at that."

Technically and legally, the Fortuner and the Pajero Sport ARE trucks. The Honda CRV is a car. As you say, the difference is very apparent when you drive them.

I still love my 2011 CRV but sometimes I wish Toyota would sell its RAV 4 in Thailand. Then I could choose between these two similar and excellent car-based crossovers. 

• Like 2

I have had my CRV since 2004 and it has really done me proud.  Comfortable to drive and to be a passenger and really liked the little fridge in the dashboard, which sadly has disappeared in the new one.  Mine is the 2.4 Sport and yes it is quite pokey for an SUV.  Been thinking about replacing it, but not sure I want the new CRV so have been looking at the mercedes A250.  It costs about 2.4M new, but did see one a year old on sale for 1.85M.  Looked at the the videos on the A250 and was quite impressed.  It is also classified as a small SUV and seems to have all the bells and whistles inside, as one would expect on a merc.  I was tempted to buy the one year old, but "her indoors" asked, using those blink, blink eyes if we could buy a new one next year!  All donations would be gratefully received and I will be happy to give a full report on performance.................honest!

Another option is the subaru xv (220m ground clearance) or forester. They do have full-time 4wd unlike the cr-v and cx-5 (they only kick in when traction is lost). It's got a cvt though, and some say its underpowered. But it's several hundred K less than top specs of the other all wheel drive cars. Service costs are higher though. and service centers are fewer in number. 

5 hours ago, Estrada said:

Too many problems with BMWs, Mercedes and most saloon cars. They all have low wheel bases and the CRV is more suitable for negotiating the floods and potholes in Bangkok and Thailand as a whole. I upgraded to a Honda CRV 5 years ago and have been very happy with it.

The cr-v's and cx-5's are OK for flooded roads; they are better than regular sedans, but their wading depth would be around 500mm at the most. I've seen one cr-v stalled in the bad floods of 2011. Water was up near the top of the tire if I recall. The fortuner/pjs (700m mm) and everest (800 mm) deal better with deep water. 

A vehicle is supposed to work for you, getting you where you need to go safely, comfortably,

and reliably. If you are loaded by all means splurge, but it is not really needed and mostly just

a status symbol for face, A CRV will do a great job for you I am sure. 

You can't go wrong with a CRV. But if you really want to upgrade and try the X3, you should give it a go, many used ones can be bought for under 2 million and with a diesel engine its pretty reliable.

A BMW X1 is around 1.9 million new, so thats also worth considering if you like the looks of it.

AWD/4WD really don't make much of a difference, you are no going offroading. Since you said normal cars are fine with muddy paths where you live, the type of tire will make a bigger difference if you want better grip.

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with a CRV. But if you really want to upgrade and try the X3, you should give it a go, many used ones can be bought for under 2 million and with a diesel engine its pretty reliable.

A BMW X1 is around 1.9 million new, so thats also worth considering if you like the looks of it.

AWD/4WD really don't make much of a difference, you are not going offroading. Since you said normal cars are fine with muddy paths where you live, the type of tire will make a bigger difference if you want better grip.

23 hours ago, mike324 said:

AWD/4WD really don't make much of a difference, you are not going offroading. Since you said normal cars are fine with muddy paths where you live, the type of tire will make a bigger difference if you want better grip.

Would love to know who's selling a new X1 for 1.9m, thought the starting price is 2.259m

If X3 shoot for an LCI model, and see if it still has warranty and BSI, 5yrs was standard and some people got 6yrs if they bought it at a special event.

I like the CX-5, last month I was offered 130k discount on the 2.2l XDL which is the top model, also 0.99% pa interest rate on 4 year financing. Did look at the CR-V just wish they still did 5 seat option, I don't need 7 seats and hate that the seats eat up boot space by not folding into the floor.

If you need ground clearance and water wading I don't think you can go wrong with the Everest, and the electric seats for the back row fold into the floor! You only have to contend with the fact it's on a ladder frame, albeit one with a multilink rear suspension so a bit less roly-poly.

23 hours ago, ChesneyHawkes said:

Would love to know who's selling a new X1 for 1.9m, thought the starting price is 2.259m

If X3 shoot for an LCI model, and see if it still has warranty and BSI, 5yrs was standard and some people got 6yrs if they bought it at a special event.

I like the CX-5, last month I was offered 130k discount on the 2.2l XDL which is the top model, also 0.99% pa interest rate on 4 year financing. Did look at the CR-V just wish they still did 5 seat option, I don't need 7 seats and hate that the seats eat up boot space by not folding into the floor.

If you need ground clearance and water wading I don't think you can go wrong with the Everest, and the electric seats for the back row fold into the floor! You only have to contend with the fact it's on a ladder frame, albeit one with a multilink rear suspension so a bit less roly-poly.

You are correct, the starting price is 2.2 million for the past 2-3 years, the times I saw it must have been during the model updates which were sold for 1.9X I believe it use to start at 1.99 million back around 3 years ago, so with a little discount back then, it could be had for around 1.95 million. 

Edited by mike324

If the OP is after mostly comfort and space rather than sporty feel, the current CRV is a pretty reasonable choice.  The CRV offers a little more comfort than the slightly more sporty CX-5. 

Some alternatives with emphasis on comfort - X-Trail and Ford Everest.  The Everest is very quiet and comfortable but much less car like, so depends on what the priority is.   

The BMW X1 / X3 are more sporty and less comfortable than the CRV

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, cms22 said:

Yes, we purchased a CRV six months ago. Actually, today it will have its first service.

In my opinion, the car is a great family vehicle and it gets good use with our two kids.

It's a little on the expensive side to run, but the engine is great and certainly powerful.

Other positives include the quality of the interior, spacious interior, its good looks, and, most importantly, the way it drives. We have the AWD version and it drives like a dream.

I've driven Fortunas and Pajero Sports before - they drive like trucks, and you're bumping around all over the place.

The CRV actually drives like a car, and quite a powerful car at that.

Cheers, C

The Honda CRV drives like a car because it is a car and designed dynamically as one. Fortunas, Pajero Sports and MUX are only a pick-up converted to look like a car and are designed dynamically as a utility vehicle because that is what a pick-up is.

Wow, guys! Didn't check the post for a few days, and am overwhelmed with replied and info here! THANKS SO MUCH to everyone who responded! ???????? 

I am going to admit that after researching and reviewing and narrowing down my options... I did end up going with a new CRV 2.4 EL AWD! I was able to get it quickly because the dealer had it in stock. I wanted the Dark Olive Metallic that they show on the website, but had trouble tracking it down. I guess Honda stopped making them in that color, as it wasn't selling as well as the others. Which I find puzzling, the color is great! Looks very cool in the sunlight. The metallic aspect really shows with lots of metal flakes and color change. Here's a walk around video that a dealer did in USA, same car, same color. Except mine is the 2018. 

I will say so far that I have been really impressed with the CRV! Honda has really dialed it up a notch, this doesn't feel like what I would expect it to feel like. I have always kinda associated the CRV with being the "Civic version of an SUV," more utilitarian than luxury. But this latest generation of CRV is much more luxurious than I expected.

LIKES: Very smooth, quiet ride, plenty of pep, fair amount of technology on board. Loads of storage in back, and in center console. Looks sharp. AC system is strong, dual climate control is nice. Sound system sounds good. Apple Car Play works great with Maps (finally! It wasn't supported for the longest time in Thailand) and Siri. Power lift gate is very convenient. Rear AC vents are appreciated, thats usually a feature regulated to luxury cars.  USB ports for rear passengers are nice as well. There's a camera on the left driver mirror that is activated when you turn left, this is surprisingly convenient! Eliminates blindspot, and allows you to see any potential motorbikes. Multi-angle backup camera works well. Power seats in front are very adjustable. Built-in navigation uses Garmin technology and seems strong, but I prefer CarPlay for integration with the phone. HDMI in port seems like a nice touch, I guess that means I can connect my Nintendo Switch to the 7" internal LCD? 

DISLIKES: Bigger overall than expected. Front end is fairly large. Many features and options unavailable or missing, because... this is Thailand! All the luxury features of USA and EU usually get nixed for the stripped down Thai versions. In the CRV's case, options available in other countries include: sunroof, leather seats, heated seats (yes, its hot here, but they can still be nice for a sore back!), rain sensing wipers, auto parking assist, smart cruise control (radar-based following w distance monitoring), among others. I thought I'd want parking sensors, but backup camera works really well & pretty much eliminates the need for them in the back of the car. Still would be nice to have them in the front. Honda said they could install them for me if I wanted, said there's both 3rd party and Honda made versions. 

MAJOR COMPLAINT: I am guessing it's because I'm 180cm / 6ft tall, but my left knee comes in contact w the center column that the transmission is on when I'm driving. Didn't seem like a problem on the test drive or show room sits. But after 20 - 30 min or so, it really starts to aggravate me and cause pain. My knee comes in contact w the hard plastic console, not with the very minimal "pad" they put there for your leg. After a 5 hour drive back from Phayao, my knee HURT ???? No matter where I placed my leg, on the chincey pad, on the console, or hanging free, it was just never comfortable. I have purchased some different pads from USA, hopefully these will remedy the problem. I also went to the local motorcycle seat repair guy who is really good and does custom seats. He says he can fashion a custom pad for there, one that attaches to the existing one. Because honestly, this could be an actual deal breaker! If I cant be comfortable in the car, then I'm not sure what the point of owning it is! Unfortunately there seems to be a few CRV owners out there like me with the same exact problem.

I already thought if I had to sell it, i'd hold out for the new Accord. But guess what? Same exact problem! Check the attached photo from a recent review of the new Accord. Also attached a photo of the dreaded knee contact zone on the CRV. Any ideas or suggestions? Other than modding it with padding gel? Not sure what options I've got! I would be pretty bummed to have to sell my brand new Green beauty! ???? 

accord-18-knee-1.jpg

cr-v-design-dash-2x2.jpg

Edited by Jason Green
added more info