Thanathorn pitches self as PM candidate in Future Forward mission

webfact

Thanathorn pitches self as PM candidate in Future Forward mission

By KAS CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION

ab13798b4d5db620b8517b546b117c64.jpeg

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit

FUTURE FORWARD Party (FWP) leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit on Monday announced he was ready to become the prime minister and highlighted the campaign “Thailand 2X” that promoted equality among Thais and make the country fit to compete with others.

The party launched its grand opening and vision announcement after the Election Commission (EC) approved its registration application last Friday. Future Forward now has legal status as a political party. Seen by some people as an hoc party, FWP stressed that it would field candidates in all 350 constituencies and that it was here to stay for the long term.

Regarding the party’s pro-democracy stance, Thanathorn said that FWP was ready to negotiate with anyone as long as they could agree to their democratic terms.

The non-negotiable issues were opposing any attempts by the current regime to retain power, amending the Constitution and reversing the coup’s legacy. “Politics is all about negotiations. As long as they can accept this bottom line, we can talk,” Thanathorn said.

Although the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has delayed the election several times, the FWP leader said that he believed the election would take place early next year following the junta’s latest promise.

Amid excitement about voting building in the country over the past couple of months, the regime would not be able to explain another postponement of the election to the people, he said. 

The party also welcomed the pro-junta Palang Pracharath Party, which launched its opening on Saturday, with members connected to the ruling regime including current incumbent ministers. The opening partly confirms speculation that General Prayut Chan-o-cha would be backed as a prime ministerial candidate in the next election.

Thanathorn said that if Prayut were interested in politics, he should be clear about it so voters could make a decision. The former automobile executive said he was ready to join a prime ministerial debate with all candidates, including Prayut who last week challenged him indirectly to a debate over the country’s future. But Thanathorn added that he would not talk to Prayut while he was head of the junta.

09fa51b902aa7486c0115e23f5b490c2.jpeg

Party's Secretary General Piyabutr Saengkanokkul, 3rd from left, is at a press conference with Thanathorn on Monday.

FWP secretary-general Piyabutr Saengkanokkul said he welcomed the forming of any party to offer a choice to voters.

However, like other politicians and critics, Piyabutr said every party should be treated equally. As it took FWP nearly a hundred days before the EC approved it status, Piyabutr said he was waiting to see how long it would take for Palang Pracharath to complete the same process.

Considering the competitive advantages that Palang Pracharath may have because of its connection with the ruling regime, Piyabutr said the government should not push any policies now that are bound to a future budget. 

The event yesterday highlighted the party core leaders such as its spokesman Pannika Wanich, deputy leaders Ronnawit Lorlertsoonthorn, Klaikong Vaidhyakarn, along with Thanathorn and Piyabutr.

With billionaire Thanathorn as its leader, FWP has come under criticism as being another rich man’s party comparable with Thaksin Shinawatra’s Thai Rak Thai or Pheu Thai.

Thanathorn, however, gave up his role in Thai Summit Group when he got involved in politics.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30355590

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-02

Future Forward leader Thanathorn says he’s ready to be prime minister

thanathorn-juangroongruangkit.png

Future Forward acting party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit announced that he is ready to be the next prime minister and to lead Thailand toward changes and new future.

“The Future Forward party is ready for changes and Thanathorn is ready to be prime minister,” said the flamboyant acting party
leader at the official launch of the party following its registration with the Election Commission last week.

He said that Future Forward, if it is in the government, would rewrite the whole constitution and reject the prolongation of the power of the junta in any forms.  The party, he added, will work with any other party which shares the same political ideology.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/future-forward-leader-thanathorn-says-hes-ready-to-be-prime-minister/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-10-02
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...FWP secretary-general Piyabutr Saengkanokkul said he welcomed the forming of any party to offer a choice to voters.

However, like other politicians and critics, Piyabutr said every party should be treated equally. As it took FWP nearly a hundred days before the EC approved it status, Piyabutr said he was waiting to see how long it would take for Palang Pracharath to complete the same process..."

This is the key question in the up-coming election; yes, I think it will happen as I don't think a delay is possible anymore. 

Simply put, the equation is whether or not the election is 'free and fair' enough (it was never going to be completely 'free and fair') to run in legitimately or whether there is soooooo much cheating on the part of the Junta that it would be foolish to join. I think that question is still open.

The best recommendation that I would give to the parties at the moment is to frequently state that their participation is still contingent on the fairness of the process, and that if they do not consider the process fair, they will not consider it legitimate; remember that the only reason that there is even talk of an election is that the Junta needs legitimacy and that can only come from a process where all participate.

As the old adage goes, there is danger and opportunity in every crisis. The danger is that the Junta will gain undeserved legitimacy; the opportunity is that, as in Malaysia, voters will hate the scummy current rulers and vote them out.

I'll leave it to the parties to decide whether they are in or out, but they should make it clear at the moment that their participation is still not guaranteed and won't be until there is a certain, specific date for the polls announced and published.

I see no reason at the moment for the parties to promise that they will participate; rather I think it behooves them to leave options for a boycott open as long as possible. And, when the Junta asks them if they are serious, the reply should be "I'll let you know when the election date is published in the Royal Gazette".

If you give the Junta a blank cheque now, they certainly screw you later; keep all options open for as long as possible...

The party that was ousted by landslide in Malaysia had been in power since independence in 1957

Edited by Dave67

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Politics is all about negotiations. As long as they can accept this bottom line, we can talk,” Thanathorn said.

. . . except for those issues that are non-negotiable, the Constitution, reversing the coup legacy and Junta retaining power, for example. I wonder what sort of issues are negotiable for joining the FF to be considered? Just asking, for that question is more than begged, I feel, regardless of my avid support for Thanathorn and his expressed ideals.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

How on earth you come to that conclusion using the Malaysia's example. What brought UMNO down is due to Najib's and his wife corruption (more wealth than Imelda Mracos) and that was only in a short span of 10 years since he was elected by the party as President in 2008 and subsequent PM when UMNO won the election. UMNO has a long history of good governance since independence. PKP the opposition party that won the election was only formed 15 years ago. In fact, contrary to what you said wrongly, democracy works against the corruption and in this case against Najib's MDB1 corruption and failure of their senior ministers to put pressure on him. You should cheer on democracy if you hate corruption; not try to find weak reasons to denounce democracy.  

I hate corruption, as it totally destroys everything. (you can make all the laws you want but its useless if there is corruption)

How does democracy work against corruption as it seems to have flourished in Malaysia and only after 10 years did they see it fit to do something about it. Sorry you and I have a different idea about how things should work. I know you are pro democracy and so am I. You are pro democracy as you think its great and works, I am pro democracy as its the least worst form, that however does not mean it works good against corruption.

It seems democracy just does not seem to work good outside Western countries, takes ages for corruption to be stopped. I would say its not democracy that stops corruption but the values that are present in a country. 

In my country a step like what Thanathorn took (severing business ties) is the norm and when people are caught who have not done so are punished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I am pro democracy as its the least worst form, that however does not mean it works good against corruption.

An interesting debate you've got going with EL, but I have to disagree with your, in my view, over-pessimistic view on democracy's ability to remove corruption. It's not the colour of the party that determines that ability . . . it's the commitment and courage of the party leadership. Were Thanathorn to be PM, you could be sure that sparks would fly, the corrupt clan would be trying to ride their golden chariots out of Govt. House so fast. He would prove your pessimism to be unwarranted, so have faith, my friend.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JAG said:

Gracious me! First a woman, and now young  people! Whatever is it coming to?

Hopefully a change one day, but doubt you or I will be around to see that happening. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Thanathorn has been breathe of fresh air in this stale political scenario and many are excited by his bold and direct challenge to the military. But I don’t see him making a big impact in this coming election. His party has very little time to be able to make much impact on the grassroots especially in the North and NorthEast and also the South. Thai politics are based on personality and charisma (Barami) which he has yet to cultivate country wide. His best chance is Bangkok which he has better appeal to the educated urbanites and young females than Abhisit. However I hope he gets enough seats as a medium size party to have a voice in Parliament and make a name for himself as a credible alternative voice. 

I agree for a large part with your assessment, i too think that he wont get much votes as he is not yet established. I disagree where you say its charisma, (that is needed for a politician and a reason why Prayut will always fail) 

I always thought it was about canvassers (at least that is what it looks to be about in the fight between PTP and Prayut with the stealing of MP's anyway will see if I am right or wrong about that in the next election)

I too hope he gets enough seats to prove his worth, maybe just maybe there is hope for Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2018 at 5:03 PM, webfact said:

Thanathorn said that if Prayut were interested in politics, he should be clear about it so voters could make a decision.

Oops, doesn't sound like he understands what he is up against! Some and mirrors are integral pieces of Big P's campaign strategy. Transparency is a sure recipe for defeat!!!!

Due to the consequences of a car accident, it was more 'fitting' under the reign of the former, beloved, Monarch, to say about Thailand that: 'in the land of the blind, one eye is King', no disrespect.

Nowadays, in the time of fast, and often shallow and plain silly, media, there is this buffoon, mind you, a member of an influential and very politically-involved family, still wet behind the ears, maybe able to dance as Michael Jackson, with a fast mouth (wonder who's putting the words into it), and a polished good look, announcing he 'pitches himself as PM candidate', oh boy, what a statement!

Putting aside it is still not clear at all whether 'the boy' is, or isn't, with his(?) party, a spare tyre for Thaksin, this is insulting, even for the highly corrupt bunch of numbnut Thai 'politicians', and the more so for the Thai people's intellect (yes, I know: what am I talking about, positively assuming the presence of such a thing within the large majority of uneducated masses...)! Mothermilk in the corners of his mouth, ...but ready to run for PM! Isn't this more dangerous than, and a consequence of the presence of, this bunch of, sigh, self-satisfied, ...and self-serving, 'retired generals' prone to bombard the country back into the the mid-1800s to fill their pockets and rule further for 20, or more..., years?

The silly manipulated new-puppet boy and his shady 'inspirers', or the vicious stared bunch of old crocs filling their pockets, is this the alternative for thailand, to vote for, some time..., next year? 

On 10/2/2018 at 5:03 AM, webfact said:

Prayut who last week challenged him indirectly to a debate over the country’s future. But Thanathorn added that he would not talk to Prayut while he was head of the junta.

That will upset the little tinpot.  He hates to be looked down upon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, yellowboat said:

That will upset the little tinpot.  He hates to be looked down upon.

Just a hunch, but i believe his masters are tiring of him and are looking for a change.

Another favoured boy from the ranks?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2018 at 2:44 AM, robblok said:

I agree for a large part with your assessment, i too think that he wont get much votes as he is not yet established. I disagree where you say its charisma, (that is needed for a politician and a reason why Prayut will always fail) 

I always thought it was about canvassers (at least that is what it looks to be about in the fight between PTP and Prayut with the stealing of MP's anyway will see if I am right or wrong about that in the next election)

I too hope he gets enough seats to prove his worth, maybe just maybe there is hope for Thailand.

...Not many votes..?

It's truly amazing that Thanathorn received already 10% of the votes in a survey* last month among "9,000 people surveyed across Thailand"...realizing it's only a short while ago the party has been registered this year. 

If he/party can win a majority is of course unlikely but not impossible.

Look what happened in France where the newcomer Macron won the elections but I know, Thailand is not France but basically there's a common deep-rooted problem in both France and Thailand, the silent majority, unhappy with the present situation.

Surprises in politics are common around the world: look what happened in Taiwan...and 2 years ago with Trump.

exciting times ahead for Thailand.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-26/party-ousted-by-thai-junta-is-voter-s-first-choice-ahead-of-poll