Pensioner's plea! Thais have robbed me blind and I can't get home

webfact

2 hours ago, smedly said:

so at 70 he has no state pension from home ? I find that hard to believe, how about booking a cheap room for 2x months and saving your income for an air ticket instead of making an idiot of yourself 

With no money (if that is true) how does he book a room for a few months and what income are you talking about?

2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

As he didn't make a police report about a "robbery" my first thought was, he may ask the bar girl he spent his money on for mercy.

"As he didn't make a police report about a "robbery"..."

Didn't he, as this wasn't a report following his being interviewed how do you know that?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

But how/why does he have multiple  watches?

Maybe he bought them when he had some money and they were not stolen?  Not unusual for people to have multiple watches, I've got 12.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

He's probably thinking he'll get more dumb farangs by saying what so many farangs apparently believe.

Yes even if someone stole Baht 50,000, that doesn't really explain how he spent the previous 69 years and x months digging the hole he finds himself in.

If he's been living here long term, one wonders what his immigration status is. If he's here on holiday, which seems unlikely, he obviously didn't put a lot of thought into organizing his travel plans. Since he wants to go "home," one wonders if there are friends and family back in Holland who've lost all sympathy for him.

Some people are incapable of accepting responsibility for the mess they create for themselves. In Thailand it's always convenient to blame it all on Thais.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smileydude said:

If I was from a developed country, healthy and had skills yet 50,000 was ALL MY MONEY at 70 yrs old then I'd be resentful and bitter (of myself).

I find it difficult to have any sympathy for him looking at his modus operandi

Can't agree with you more.

Just the other day I mentioned in a reply on a post to an intending future retiree who is waiting to get his superannuation payout at the end of this month and get his rear over here, that he should:

A) Get private health cover as it is a MUST

&

B) Stick to a monthly budget, i.e. taking 60k baht for example and multiplying it by 12 then multiplying that by the amount of years he thinks he will live too, I used 20 years in the example as he was 60 years of age, so to live in Thailand he would require 14,400,000 baht to live till he is 80 years of age.

Now a lot of TVF member would say 60,000 per month baht is more than enough, and my reply to that would be if you want a comfortable, but modest life in Thailand and to own a car as he did, you will want, insure it, service it, maintain it, register it, and fill it up every 2 weeks, that in itself will cost you about 60,000 baht per annum, not forgetting it loses value every year and if your not looking at replacing it in 20 years your fine, but its more than probable that you will, and it probably won't be worth much after 10 years, so add another 60,000 baht per year for 10 years to go with the trade in for your new car, so your down to 10 months per year of your 60,000 baht per month, private health cover will surely take another month of that 60,000 baht so your down to 9 months of 60,000 per month, see where I am going with this ?

Add: House insurance, the occasional overseas trip home to visit family/friends say every 2 years, the odd holiday in Thailand, grocery shopping, alcohol, clothes, entertainment, replacement of electrical household goods/furniture, levies if living in a condo, maintenance if a house, the things we don't usually put in our budgets and you will see for yourself, YES, Thailand is cheap to live compared to back home, but you have to be able to maintain the same lifestyle as you would have back home, most blokes on the pension here, just scrap it in from what I am told, remember we are talking about maintaining a similar lifestyle as you would have back home, otherwise is it worth it. 

My budget of 60,000 baht per month is flexible and can go upwards of 100,00 baht per month, that said, if I was at his age and had to rely on the pension or nothing, I would also be pretty miserable, no disrespect to TVF pensioners, I know its a tight gig with no other option from blokes I have spoken too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petermik said:

More to this story methinks......:whistling:

Me too. There must be a story behind the story. 

The guy looks quite normal, not like the usual scum. 

It is not a good idea, nor fair to rant against Thailand and its people, even though he might has a reason to be furious with a few, who did him wrong. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My pickup

Insurance, tax and test 2,000bht. Repairs this year 2,000bht.

Why is it all your costs are so much more than all my costs?

My pick up is under 3 years old and still under warranty, it gets serviced every 15,000 kilometres, each service is on average 5,000 baht, tyres just replaced 20,000 baht, comprehensive insurance 15,000 baht per annum, petrol about 2,000 baht every 10 days (36 weeks) x 2,000 baht per time I put petrol in it = 73,000 baht per annum, just on petrol alone I have exceeded a months budget...lol

My costs are higher than yours because they are actual costs.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Dont need a sign. Its just the norm.

Actually it’s not - you are just as a newbie posting the usual nonsense.

Where as you have to be careful in the Kingdom - and keep your wits about you ( like any country) I have found my Thai friends to be generous , kind, welcoming and good people. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mingomania said:

How can you even get into Thailand without a return fare?

More than likely he had one and either overstayed or allowed his return ticket to lapse, easy done for those who don't want to return.

Had a newly arrived farang in the village a few weeks back, story is he came from Phuket, wife dropped him at her x sister-inlaws while she went to Pattaya to work and try to support her farang husband of 5 years, he is 62 years old.

Apparently she purchased 3 bars in Phuket with his money, gambled heavily and couldn't sell the bars, then took off owing 800,000 baht.

Apparently his passport expired 3 years ago, hasn't got a cent to his name and no family back in the UK.

This gets even better, she recently got him to bus it down to Pattaya, apparently she has a new farang who knows about the situation but is ok with supporting her and him, but when he gets back from wherever he is going, he wants her exclusively for the time he is back.

Can I believe it, why not, it's the LOS, anything goes right ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Only if you lived in the Netherlands for 50 yrs, for every year from your 15th till your 65 you get 2%. If you lived less longer there it's costs you 2% per year. I know dutch persons that came here when they were 25 and never left, then it's not so much you get.

still much better than the pittance we get in the UK

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Does he have a Thai work permit for selling fake watches????

I thought that was one of the occupations reserved exclusively for Thais (and Indians)!   :cheesy:

Most of the watch sellers in pattaya are muzzle sxxx,they try intimidating older farangs,I have had a lot of fallouts with them,before the tsunami the seller's was thai & you had a friendly barter with them & the bar girls would help you,then when the south was washed out & no tourists they moved to pattaya,if you asked a girl to help as before they would refuse & look scared,the so called religion of peace pedos followers had threatened them

• Like 2