Governor Aswin comes clean on Bangkok flooding

webfact

15 hours ago, mok199 said:

Some thai policians have no shame.

Of course not.  Why have shame over something that you will never admit your fault?

If they were playing with their cellphone when they had an accident they will all-too-frequently say that "my brakes failed."

So, I am not going to say "Only in Thailand."

But I will say "How quintessentially Thai." 

Usually there is an operator that lives above the pump station (well) who keeps the pumps clear of trash and operates the pumps in coordination with the downstream pump stations. Sometimes the BMA decides to flood districts considered lower priority to keep the more important areas clear of flood waters. However, the fact that this pump station was under construction and the key was with the Contractor, leads me to believe that the pump station was unfinished and/or the Contractor was waiting for payment from the BMA before handing over to the BMA. The BMA is underfunded especially when it comes to waste handling and collection. The public need to pay 5 to 10 times what they are paying now to adequately fund the BMA.

Even automatic pumps will have a main control panel / breaker with lock, (to allow the pump to be worked on safely) and the main incoming power will be "locked" out after final commissioning, until final handover... and that probably requires the simultaneous handover of a fat brown envelope....