Back Up Windows 10 Before Installing the October Update or Risk Losing Your Files

ravip

I just saw this article. But I did the update a couple of days ago successfully, without a backup!

We are scratching our collective heads as to how the Windows 10 October Update ever made it past Microsoft’s QA teams. According to numerous reports, something about the update could delete the contents of your Windows 10 user folders—you know, your documents, photos, music, videos, et cetera.

https://lifehacker.com/back-up-windows-10-before-installing-the-october-update-1829556930

Edited by ravip

I don't know if this is connected to the October upgrade,

but i cannot even sign into my email accounts,using

SlimJet browser,have tried other browsers ,same result,

thats AOL and Yahoo,same company now,just a blank page,

but on my Win 7 machine no problem.

regards worgeordie

MS has pulled this update pro tem, but as I said on another forum........

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/118968-windows-10-october-2018-update-now-available-57.html#post1479196

UPDATE

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/119248-windows-10-october-2018-update-paused-rollout.html 

Edited by VBF
More information

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I don't know if this is connected to the October upgrade,

but i cannot even sign into my email accounts,using

SlimJet browser,have tried other browsers ,same result,

thats AOL and Yahoo,same company now,just a blank page,

but on my Win 7 machine no problem.

regards worgeordie

Have you tried Chrome or Edge?

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

1) fortunately my important stuff is NOT on these Windows predefined folders (in same drive as system, how stupid

2) more fortunately I have reg-hacked my Windows 10 to stop this unasked upgrades

3) so I will watch the result of the beta-testers (aka customers)

The feature list makes my yawn.

You can do that via the Windows Updates Advanced interface, unless you have installed Windows 10 Home

3 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

You can do that via the Windows Updates Advanced interface, unless you have installed Windows 10 Home

On W10 Home at least set your network connection as METERED. That will prevent the CU from actually downloding.

Also look at the Windows Update Mini Tool https://win10.guru/toolkit-item-windows-update-minitool-wumt/ 

Edited by VBF

7 hours ago, ravip said:

Windows 10 October 2018 Update: The complete changelog

• File Explorer now features a dark theme when Dark Mode is enabled in Settings.
  • You can now name live folders in Start.
  • A new "safe removal" feature has been added that lists open applications that might be using an external GPU connected via Thunderbolt 3.
  • Notifications in the Action Center now feature a fade-in effect when the Action Center is opened.
  • A redesigned snipping experience is present and can be accessed via WIN + SHIFT + S.
  • Snips will now present a notification that will open up into Screen Sketch, which is now a dedicated app.
  • You can now configure pen peripherals to take a snip when pressing a button.
  • The Print Screen button can now be configured to open Screen Sketch.
  • A new "Screen snip" action has been added to quick actions in the Action Center.
  • Copied content can now be seen in a new clipboard experience, accessed with WIN+V, that can also sync to the cloud and across devices.
  • There are now three different modes you can select when wirelessly projecting your screen, and these modes are game, productivity, and video modes.
  • Users upgrading to this release for the first time will be welcomed with a post-OOBE UI that walks the user through setting up new features added in this release.
  • Game Bar has been redesigned with new features including an overview of system performance and more.
  • Search will now provide a download link for programs searched online.
  • You can now use Windows Mixed Reality without a monitor.
  • Storage Sense can now switch files to "online-only" if they haven't been accessed after a certain number of days, saving space on your local disk.
  • Pen users can now ink directly into text boxes by default.
  • Users can now view the real world when using Windows Mixed Reality using a headsets built-in camera.
  • Emoji 11 is now available.
  • Game bar is now accessible via the Apps List in Start.

More

People are still using Windows? Oh well, you deserve what you get.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Yea...a few people still use Windows. 

image.png.c2e38c52e34387cc66c72f4611dcf480.png

I shouldn't worry about it....I rather think @jgarbo was making a tongue-in-cheek comment about his (presumably) Unix system(s)

A little levity never hurt anyone. ????

• Haha 1

I have had the 1809 update for over 1 month from the Windows Insider program and never saw any problems at all, but I do not keep any files in the user directory. However, the on Thursday after a lot of the new updates rolled out, my damn Windows went an updated yet again from the 1809, 17763.1 build (whicj I believe is the October update release) to the 1809 - 18252.000 pre release and now I have more than my fair share of problems. (So if anyone is on the insider program and you get the chance, cancel it!)

The volume control in the bottom right corner no longer allows me to select my audio devices, I could previously choose between speakers, sound bar, TV and Digital, now it just hangs and disappears. I use two screens, one large 4K display for movies and my normal monitor. Every time I switch off the second display I can no longer open any programs that were previously opened on that display - I have to go and turn on the second monitor before the window appears. Also related to the display, every time I turn off the second display, all of the icons on my main monitor disappear, they have suddenly jumped across to the second display, so they have to be constantly moved back again.

So, not impressed with this update at all.

What is really good though, is that if you use the Edge browser, you can prevent all of those terrible videos that suddenly start playing by themselves, they can be turned off in Edge, even on a site by site basis. Also in Edge, you can now pin web pages straight to your task bar.

Hopefully there will be another update soon that corrects these problems.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I have had the 1809 update for over 1 month from the Windows Insider program and never saw any problems at all, but I do not keep any files in the user directory. However, the on Thursday after a lot of the new updates rolled out, my damn Windows went an updated yet again from the 1809, 17763.1 build (whicj I believe is the October update release) to the 1809 - 18252.000 pre release and now I have more than my fair share of problems. (So if anyone is on the insider program and you get the chance, cancel it!)

The volume control in the bottom right corner no longer allows me to select my audio devices, I could previously choose between speakers, sound bar, TV and Digital, now it just hangs and disappears. I use two screens, one large 4K display for movies and my normal monitor. Every time I switch off the second display I can no longer open any programs that were previously opened on that display - I have to go and turn on the second monitor before the window appears. Also related to the display, every time I turn off the second display, all of the icons on my main monitor disappear, they have suddenly jumped across to the second display, so they have to be constantly moved back again.

So, not impressed with this update at all.

What is really good though, is that if you use the Edge browser, you can prevent all of those terrible videos that suddenly start playing by themselves, they can be turned off in Edge, even on a site by site basis. Also in Edge, you can now pin web pages straight to your task bar.

Hopefully there will be another update soon that corrects these problems.

The volume control in the bottom right corner no longer allows me to select my audio devices, I could previously choose between speakers, sound bar, TV and Digital, now it just hangs and disappears

Did you try clicking on that small arrow?

Annotation.png

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

1) fortunately my important stuff is NOT on these Windows predefined folders (in same drive as system, how stupid

2) more fortunately I have reg-hacked my Windows 10 to stop this unasked upgrades

3) so I will watch the result of the beta-testers (aka customers)

The feature list makes my yawn.

I appreciate this post.

I also consider the My Documents directory tree a joke.  It irks me when a program insists on saving its settings or output there.

One way to (attempt to) maintain sanity while being a Windows user is to have at least one other disk partition and keep anything personal there.  This way, when Windows craps out and you have to restore or re-install you won't lose much of your own stuff.  There are also security advantages.

I have Win 10 Home, it came with the laptop.  To avoid auto-updates I would shut off the update service, but they dinged that in the April release with Medic Service.  This can be remedied with https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-1/

If you looked over my shoulder you might think I was using XP, that's how impressed I am with constant outpouring of whiz-bang features and desktop enhancement; I admit I do like the Win 10 dashboard menu, but it's so handy they'll probably do away with it it soon, that's how MS does things.  I refuse to create an MS account and I hope I can get away with not downloading anything from their "store."

If not for a few utilities that do not run on Linux I would be using that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ravip said:

Every time I switch off the second display I can no longer open any programs that were previously opened on that display - I have to go and turn on the second monitor before the window appears. Also related to the display, every time I turn off the second display, all of the icons on my main monitor disappear, they have suddenly jumped across to the second display, so they have to be constantly moved back again.

That happens in W10 before the updates. One solution would be to NOT turn your second display off, and another is to group all your desktop icons into a few folders so that if they do 'jump' you only have a few to move back, and it keeps your desktop nice and tidy.

And if you right click on the sound icon down the right, your Sound Menu appears. Cheers.

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

I appreciate this post.

I also consider the My Documents directory tree a joke.  It irks me when a program insists on saving its settings or output there.

One way to (attempt to) maintain sanity while being a Windows user is to have at least one other disk partition and keep anything personal there.  This way, when Windows craps out and you have to restore or re-install you won't lose much of your own stuff.  There are also security advantages.

I have Win 10 Home, it came with the laptop.  To avoid auto-updates I would shut off the update service, but they dinged that in the April release with Medic Service.  This can be remedied with https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-1/

If you looked over my shoulder you might think I was using XP, that's how impressed I am with constant outpouring of whiz-bang features and desktop enhancement; I admit I do like the Win 10 dashboard menu, but it's so handy they'll probably do away with it it soon, that's how MS does things.  I refuse to create an MS account and I hope I can get away with not downloading anything from their "store."

If not for a few utilities that do not run on Linux I would be using that. 

It is so easy to move your USER folders to anywhere. Click on for example your C:\users\ YOU \documents folder, properties and up comes a MOVE option. Put them where you want, on another drive, on One or Google drive....anywhere. I found a way, for myself, to have C drive as a 60GB SSD, only Windows. All programs, user folders are on another D (for data) 256GB SSD. Works a treat. And then you can do separate back-ups for each drive.