Back Up Windows 10 Before Installing the October Update or Risk Losing Your Files

ravip

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

Nobody needs to worry for now - Microsoft have pulled the update - will resume once it's been fixed !

Son of a gun....MS has indeed paused rollout of 1809 due to problems.   See below snapshots/weblinks, to include one form MS.  Glad I deferred the 1809 feature update by setting a 30 day Feature update deferment in my Win 10 Pro.   

Yeap, after the rollout of 1709 caused major problems on both my Lenovo laptops requiring me to reset the OS on both laptops I've been gun-shy of getting Win 10 feature updates (i.e., 1703 to 1709, 1709 to 1803, etc) "upon initial release."  I now wait around 30 days...give MS more time to identify and fix bugs...or pause the update altogether like they are doing for 1809.  Obviously 1809 was not really ready for prime time.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

image.png.1310a3a5d63403b0ae285ad4685353bc.png

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused

Microsoft has stopped distributing its latest Windows 10 October 2018 Update. The software giant started rolling out the update during the company’s Surface event earlier this week, but some Windows 10 users immediately noticed their documents were being deleted. “We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating,” says Microsoft on its support site for Windows Update.

1 hour ago, ostyan said:

Linux is still the best option.

It is, but i gotta admit Microsoft is finally doing a great job with its main OS.

For those who can remember, windows 98, windows millenium argh, look how far they are now ! A stable OS, unthinkable before.

We used to joke  (Microsoft speaking) :

With windows 98 we were really on the edge of the abyss ;

With windows millennium, we finally took a step forward.

????

17 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

It is, but i gotta admit Microsoft is finally doing a great job with its main OS.

For those who can remember, windows 98, windows millenium argh, look how far they are now ! A stable OS, unthinkable before.

We used to joke  (Microsoft speaking) :

With windows 98 we were really on the edge of the abyss ;

With windows millennium, we finally took a step forward.

????

Wasn't there a reasonably stable operating system in the middle, windows XP. It still runs on 40% of the worlds computers. 

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

Wasn't there a reasonably stable operating system in the middle, windows XP. It still runs on 40% of the worlds computers. 

Wasn't quite stable at release, it became stable after SP1 was released, SP3 started to be really rock solid.

There was windows 2000 before, few people knew and were using it, but that was a very solid OS (previous NT versions were solid too, but 2000, even if it wasn't advertised as a workstation, you could still run pretty much everything on it).

Edited by Pepper9187

On 10/6/2018 at 5:04 PM, wgdanson said:

Have you tried Chrome or Edge?

Yes tried Opera,Edge, Firefox, could not do anything on Firefox,

every site i tried to go to ,even ThaiVisa says unsecure certificates,

so had to uninstall Firefox.

So Yahoo and AOL, goes to main page OK, click login, the login page

is just a blank page ?, the only way i can get into my email is on a

Win 7 PC, i dont think its the fall update,as two of my machines 

have not updated,but still have the problem, anyone else having

problems with their EMails, logging in ?.

regards worgeordie

• 2 weeks later...