When shoping GF get change

kaffeburk

That's not what i experienced. In case of a restaurant in most cases the person who requests the bill will get it. And when paying, in most cases the person who pays will be handed the change. Sometimes (probably less than 5%) it happens that i pay and my gf gets handed the change, but it does also happen that my gf pays and i get the change.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

IME it mostly happens in restaurants. I usually pay the bill (it's a macho thing) but the change is almost always handed to my wife.

Personally, it doesn't bother me too much (we don't have seperate finances) but I think the waiting staff are missing out.

Mrs C typical tip is 20-60 baht, even in a fairly classy place, whereas mine is around 10% of the bill - more, if the waiting staff is a bit flirty or has lycra mini dress.

They always treat me like i'm invisible....so i won't even bother to give any tip...good waiters/salespersons can speak english all over the world except thailand.

• Like 1

I went into Big C and bought the fridge alone , the communication was just fine , all smiles and my few words of Thai were good enough .

Don't bring your Thai wife/gf , be a man 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU_dUPaguAIgLDLmLUJVK

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thian said:

They always treat me like i'm invisible....so i won't even bother to give any tip...good waiters/salespersons can speak english all over the world except thailand.

Yes your right.. strangely tough I was in Da Nang 2 weeks ago and their English was also non existent / bad. Must have been Thais working in Vietnam who spoke no English. (of course not everyone in Da Nang but about the same as what I encounter in Thailand)

OP easy solution to your small problem.... Dont take the wife.:cheesy:

Do the same as me, i never take my wife to a restaurant, always go shopping alone, 99% of the time pay by debit card, no problems about getting the change.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Actually I think it's more of a Husband/Wife thing, than Farang/Thai thing.

Regardless of which country we're in, and irrespective of which one of us pays, Mrs G always pockets the change

It's really about who's the boss.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:04 AM, CharlieH said:

Spot on.! My observation also.

Its all about "face" as usual, and dont want to be embarrased if they cant communicate if there is a problem.Easy option is give it to the wide.

What I dislike is being treated like I am not even there !! Especially when talking with sales staff. They often wont even make eye contact, they just pretend you are invisible.

Totally agree Charlie, annoys me too,asking about bathroom shelf things in home pro to the sales guy in Thai,completely ignores me and start's talking to my wife,made my blood fair boil,in my younger days may well have given annoying little pimple jolly good punch on nose.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:43 AM, robblok said:

I have had that in the past too, they are worried about communication problems once you show you can speak Thai they will hand you the money. 

Not necessary, I sometimes ask them a question in Thai and they will reply the answer to my wife, grrr.

• Like 1