Medical certificate for work permit

Hey there, I got some real good help from this forum regarding my visa application earlier and now I am on my to Thailand (literally, I'm at the airport). Very excited to be honest! Thanks everyone who contributed to this forum.

I have a another question this time, my employer has asked me to get a health checkup done and obtain a medical certificate so they can apply for a work permit. They did share a template with me which lists 6 medical conditions (attached) but they were not able to help me with any clinic or hospital where I can go and get it done. 

Can someone please help me with any clinic/hospital near Rama 9, Thailand culture center where I can get it done? What exactly is the process and how much time does it take for the institution to issue a certificate? Does it involve doing a blood work? How much will it cost? 

Screenshot_20181007-011530.png

Just go to a corner clinic. Not all will be able to converse in minimal English so you'll have to search.

Most schools (?) will have a go-to clinic as agencies. The fact you're being hired in from outside and there's no help here, that's a warning sign for me.

Anyway, you'll find a clinic that will understand what you want, they will do their thing - each clinic's standards a bit different. Then they will sign off and you'll be on your way.

It's about 250-400b and the real deal in a proper hospital 650-900 incl x-ray.

If you go up to the Huai Kwang MRT stop, head down the crowded road Pachratbampen you will find a number of small clinic's The area has changed alot due to influx of Chinese, but there should be 2-3 clinic's. Try the one at the bottom of the road, right side. Bring the form which should cut down on the mystery of what you want .

If you want to go the hospital $$$ route. PraRam9 Hospital and they will speak English. From MRT PraRam9 walk down Rama 9. You'll see it after 10 min. Or...mototaxi.

If you are teaching, now you are here... have a degree, competent with a work ethic? Before you sign a contract you might want to have a look on ajarn.com and go on a few interviews.

Of course, never accept employment from an agency. You will almost always be treated poorly and wages less than direct hire. Agencies with foreigners - white managers and or Filipino recruiters both are concerns

7 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Just go to a corner clinic. Not all will be able to converse in minimal English so you'll have to search.

Most schools (?) will have a go-to clinic as agencies. The fact you're being hired in from outside and there's no help here, that's a warning sign for me.

Anyway, you'll find a clinic that will understand what you want, they will do their thing - each clinic's standards a bit different. Then they will sign off and you'll be on your way.

It's about 250-400b and the real deal in a proper hospital 650-900 incl x-ray.

If you go up to the Huai Kwang MRT stop, head down the crowded road Pachratbampen you will find a number of small clinic's The area has changed alot due to influx of Chinese, but there should be 2-3 clinic's. Try the one at the bottom of the road, right side. Bring the form which should cut down on the mystery of what you want .

If you want to go the hospital $$$ route. PraRam9 Hospital and they will speak English. From MRT PraRam9 walk down Rama 9. You'll see it after 10 min. Or...mototaxi.

If you are teaching, now you are here... have a degree, competent with a work ethic? Before you sign a contract you might want to have a look on ajarn.com and go on a few interviews.

Of course, never accept employment from an agency. You will almost always be treated poorly and wages less than direct hire. Agencies with foreigners - white managers and or Filipino recruiters both are concerns

Hey ozmeldo, thanks for such a detailed response,I'll check them out. 

Actually, I'm not here for teaching, I work on a niche software technology which one of a thai corporation uses. It's difficult for them to find people from Thailand, hence they hired me from outside. Although one of my job responsibilities is to build the competency in their own organization which I'll love to do.. Probably have to learn Thai. 

They were not able to help me with the clinic or hospital because of the language barrier over phone/email. All they say is just go to any clinic and get it done, everyone says the same. I guess clinics are very common here, something very different from where I belong. 

Every hospital can do it also if you are struggling finding a clinic. I go to the Sukhumvit hospital very close to Ekamai BTS each year, and it costs about 600 Baht if I remember. More than a clinic but they do speak some English if your Thai is not so good. Just ask for a medical certificate for a work permit, and if they don't know what you mean go somewhere else, as its a standard requirement.

The actual test is not much use to anybody I'd guess. They take your blood and then you have a very brief interview with a doctor, and that's it. But its quite a good introduction into the ways of Thailand, in that as long as you follow the exact procedure and don't cause a fuss, usually (but not always, TIT) things will work out fine.

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Blez Clinic by Asok BTS/Sukhumvit MRT are very good and speak perfect English.  No need for an appointment, just walk in and ask for a health certificate for a work permit (500 baht).

http://blez-clinic.com/doctor-staff-en/

Thanks, heading there now. I guess a good way to learn about the public transport too. 

If this place doesn't work will go to PraRam9 or sukumvit hospital

3 hours ago, theghizmo said:

Actually, I'm not here for teaching, I work on a niche software technology which one of a thai corporation uses. It's difficult for them to find people from Thailand, hence they hired me from outside. Although one of my job responsibilities is to build the competency in their own organization which I'll love to do.. Probably have to learn Thai. 

They were not able to help me with the clinic or hospital because of the language barrier over phone/email. All they say is just go to any clinic and get it done, everyone says the same. I guess clinics are very common here, something very different from where I belong. 

Yes but you will find that some small clinics have no proper registration (and sometimes the 'doctor' is not qualified) and therefore they will avoid getting involved with sending blood to a laboratory etc etc.

On the other hand some small clinics are well established and do offer such services and they are legitimate.  

I get my health report before renewal at a small clinic in Ramkhamhaeng, they can test the blood for all the disease listed on the spot and within 10 minutes. 

Walk in, walk out 15 minutes later required medical report in hand, 500Baht. Need to have your passport with you for the clinic to write your details on the med. report.

3 hours ago, ThailandLOS said:

I always do mine in Sukhumvit Hospital, and yes blood work is involved (they check for syphilis). Abt 500 THB iirc and have to wait around 1h for the blood test result.

They check for syphilis but don't check for HIV/AIDS? Would've thought HIV/AIDS would be more of a health concern...

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

They check for syphilis but don't check for HIV/AIDS? Would've thought HIV/AIDS would be more of a health concern...

Yes, it seems very stupid worldwide.

Seems like HIV for some reason has an exemption I do not get it.

I guess it will appear as some gay discrimination?

HIV should be at the top of the list.  Makes no sense at all....

Being HIV positive shouldn't affect work performance, any more than cancer, heart disease etc. For some reason syphilis is rife among certain migrant labour groups and is considered detrimental for employers. Alcoholism is on the list too, but fortunately there isn't a blood test for this!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, theghizmo said:

I got mine done few days ago in Koh Samui. Just any clinic will do it and it's not complicated. 2 copies cost me 200 baht. You don't need to go to the government hospital nor private hospital . They will charge anywhere between 600-900 baht. It should take 10 mins to get the health certificate . They are not so strict like US or European clinics. Doctor asks you few simple questions, get your blood pressure readings and you are good to go. So nothing to worry about getting the certificate.

I don't know why people are paying so much for this.
I go to a clinic, give my passport, and 10 minutes later I have the signed document for 100 baht. They don't even take my blood pressure.
Including the blood test? Most companies pay for it anyway (or they should) and I'm not sure why you would think 500 baht is too much.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Including the blood test? Most companies pay for it anyway (or they should) and I'm not sure why you would think 500 baht is too much.

They don't do any tests. They don't even check your blood pressure, They don't even look at you and sign the form for 100 baht. If you want the tests, go ahead for 500 baht. I just want the medical certificate and I pay 100 baht.

They don't do any tests. They don't even check your blood pressure, They don't even look at you and sign the form for 100 baht. If you want the tests, go ahead for 500 baht. I just want the medical certificate and I pay 100 baht.
Fair enough. If it's not a proper test, then I would expect to pay much less, just like for a fake driving licence or fake degree.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Fair enough. If it's not a proper test, then I would expect to pay much less, just like for a fake driving licence or fake degree.

We are constantly asked for medical certificates.

I'd never apply for a job with a fake degree nor drive without a license, however I will get the "fake" medical certificate.

The medical certificate that I have been using for my retirement visa application lists the same diseases but requires that the form be notarized by a Notary Public. This is very inconvenient for the doctor to go and have this form notarized.

Is this an updated medical certificate form and where can I obtain a copy of this form to print out?

I would much prefer to use this form rather than the attached form because I think that it is ridiculous to request the the doctor go to a Notary Public and have his signature notarized.    

medical_certificate.pdf

17 minutes ago, TBKK said:

The medical certificate that I have been using for my retirement visa application lists the same diseases but requires that the form be notarized by a Notary Public. This is very inconvenient for the doctor to go and have this form notarized.

Is this an updated medical certificate form and where can I obtain a copy of this form to print out?

I would much prefer to use this form rather than the attached form because I think that it is ridiculous to request the the doctor go to a Notary Public and have his signature notarized.    

medical_certificate.pdf

image.thumb.png.65aa63d3957694223cd44e85b0af14c0.png

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Being HIV positive shouldn't affect work performance, any more than cancer, heart disease etc. For some reason syphilis is rife among certain migrant labour groups and is considered detrimental for employers. Alcoholism is on the list too, but fortunately there isn't a blood test for this!

To be honest, these tests are of no use in current form. Organizations should rather get a full medical test done in collaboration with their group insurance partner. It's a win win for everyone. 

8 hours ago, TBKK said:

That would be for getting a medical certificate in your home country when applying for a OA long stay visa.

Not the same situation as a getting one here in Thailand for s work permit, driver's license and etc.

23 hours ago, theghizmo said:

Sounds like Thailand 4 has a new ambassador. Pop into immigration and reach out and teach them about websites

15 hours ago, sencelebi said:

I got mine done few days ago in Koh Samui. Just any clinic will do it and it's not complicated. 2 copies cost me 200 baht. You don't need to go to the government hospital nor private hospital . They will charge anywhere between 600-900 baht. It should take 10 mins to get the health certificate . They are not so strict like US or European clinics. Doctor asks you few simple questions, get your blood pressure readings and you are good to go. So nothing to worry about getting the certificate.

Correct mine cost 150 baht

15 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

I don't know why people are paying so much for this.

I go to a clinic, give my passport, and 10 minutes later I have the signed document for 100 baht. They don't even take my blood pressure.

True no need blood test either lol

Archived