Koh Chang compared with Koh Samui for a business?

I understand that these two islands are on opposite sides of the country, and also a very different holiday experience, but is it true that Koh Samui season is a lot longer and with far more expats staying there as well as substantially more tourists?

I went to Koh Chang in June and had a great time, which was not dependent on the weather luckily, and I didn't mind the downpours. It was very quiet though on the island in general, and I have been hearing that the season is far shorter than Samui, and the weather is far more unpredictable?

Anyone have first-hand experience at this living on, or trying out both islands over a long period?

I am aware that Koh Chang is in the national park and doesn't have all the ' glam ' of Koh Samui but I found that a good thing.

What months or time is considered ' off season ' in Koh Chang as online reports are conflicting? I have heard anything between five and eight months low season?

I wouldn't have thought it great for business with a very long low season as then you would just be using the high season to pay and cover low season, no fun in that, businesswise, it would just be treading water.

Edited by Scouse123

What business you thinking...? 

Koh Samui - saturated with business' - competition

Koh Chang - far few tourists, maybe too far off the beaten path for the 2 week millionaires..

But what every business you thinking...for gods sake dont think a " beerbar" LOL

• Like 1

Hehehe, No,

No chance of the good old beer bar! 

I saw one or two guys there with them, operating behind the bars themselves! An Irish guy and a guy from North England a bell, that had a couple of them near our resort at Klong Prom and they were dead as a dodo.

I am just a bit surprised as a lovely island has escaped the tourist crowds and never caught on, OK a bit more messing around to get there, but well worth it in my book. I think you feel on holiday in the place, and you are not gouged on prices.

Mind you, regards your post, just down the road in Siem Reap, Cambodia you have the worst of both worlds. Saturation of similar businesses AND a short season!

9 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Hehehe, No,

No chance of the good old beer bar! 

I saw one or two guys there with them, operating behind the bars themselves! An Irish guy and a guy from North England a bell, that had a couple of them near our resort at Klong Prom and they were dead as a dodo.

I am just a bit surprised as a lovely island has escaped the tourist crowds and never caught on, OK a bit more messing around to get there, but well worth it in my book. I think you feel on holiday in the place, and you are not gouged on prices.

Mind you, regards your post, just down the road in Siem Reap, Cambodia you have the worst of both worlds. Saturation of similar businesses AND a short season!

i really enjoy visits to Koh Chang and one of my favorite islands, but it is off the beaten path for those who want instant gratification on their holidays..ie get off the plane in Samui/Phuket and your there, Koh Chang..a bit more of mission to get there...and it rains a lot lol 

• Like 1

dont see the point in trying it,if you have money use it to generate more in your home country,but if you choose to go down that road then try the secrets forum its full of guys who know everything about Thailand,as they know its booming and is better than ever so it should be a doodle to make a fast buck,they have a Pattaya expert/veteran called Chang Fai and a Hua Hin expert called phantom51red who knows a thing or two about financing bars in Hua Hin,money cannot buy their knowledge.