Thai man posed as Pattaya cop to rip off British pensioner for 200,000 baht

webfact

Thai man posed as Pattaya cop to rip off British pensioner for 200,000 baht

2pm.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

Police in Pattaya have arrested a man who was posing as a police officer to extort money.

Back in May 2018 Peter William John Stonebridge, 66, from the UK had been contacted by someone claiming to be a policeman by the name of Theerachart.

Mr Stonebridge mistakenly believed he knew Theerachart and fell for his story that his son needed an urgent operation and could he borrow money for a few days. 

He transferred 200,000 baht to him via an account under a woman's name (Phanphit Phatpheng) in Nong Bua Lamphu in Thailand's north east. 

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

A few days later when it was time to return the money Theerachart disappeared. Inquiries at Pattaya police station revealed that there was no one of that name working there. 

In December of 2017 posing as "Sergeant Kitisak" the same man had ripped off another businessman to the tune of 30,000 baht. 

Police inquiries in Pattaya and Phuket established that the fraudster was responsible for a string of cons posing as a police officer to rip off traders, hoteliers and business people for tea money in protection rackets. 

Finally their inquiries led to Suchart "Num" Sombatchai, 34, who was arrested at Nong Bua Lamphu hospital and brought back to Pattaya. 

There station chief Pol Col Apichai Krobpetch charged him with impersonating a police officer and fraud.

Evidence in the form of the bank account, a phone and several SIM cards tied up the case against Suchart. 

Source: Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-09

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Yes, but will Mr Stonebridge have is money returned? Or has it gone for good?

I think that no matter how big your heart and/or your bank balance is, you have to have some sort of solid proof before handing over large sums of money, what ever the reason you are being given. Thinking you may know someone is not enough in my book. 

I have a simple rule, no lending money to anyone, no matter what the situation, i.e. it's not my responsibility to bail others out, been there done that many years ago before and it doesn't end well, friendships lost, family tensions, I am comfortable saying no, and your only human to feel guilty, but I have learnt to accept that I will not help and if people put me down or look at me in another light, well so be it.

image.jpeg.c4b2a1303b135aa16e5519e15b7ffcbe.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Full credit to the Patts Police for the well conducted investigation and apprehension of the scoundrel,  scamming the elderly.

Such con artists use the similar play in Europe with the elderly, posing as distant nephews and many people have been cheated of large amounts of money.

At one point of age, it seems important to be with somebody fully trustworthy to watch on you and your finances, and that's where things get tricky tough. As when it comes to money, even families or the immediate kith and kin,  can behave like animals just to grab money. Sad world sometimes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the fraudster was responsible for a string of cons posing as a police officer to rip off traders, hoteliers and business people for tea money in protection rackets. 

likely real police were concerned these monies were being misdirected to the fake police at their loss 

• Like 1

How many times does one have to see the "my son (actually works better with "my young daughter") needs emergency surgery in (pick a country) and I need xxx,xxx,xxx Baht please and fall for it? As the famous PT Barnum said "A fool and his money are soon parted".

It took me a few small mishaps to realize it's OK to say No and not feel guilty.

Everyone repeat after me, " No, sorry I can't. "

and then.

"My money is locked in term deposit at the moment. I'm happy to help in non financial way."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, happy chappie said:

To lend a Thai money is to give a Thai money and an old fool is easily parted from his money.i would rather stick my money on a donkey in the grand national than lend to a Thai.

Usually, yes. But I have lent money to family members several times, sometimes quite a large amount, and it has always been paid back on time usually by instalments. The only exception was a Bangkok taxi driver who borrowed 20,000 for his daughter's wedding, which then didn't happen. He didn't pay it back in one sum, but did so over a period of a couple of years. I was impressed with the effort he made to honour his debt. Now he lives a simple life in a field in Issan near me and much prefers that life to driving a taxi in Bangkok.

4 hours ago, balo said:

Most of them are good cops , just all the negativity on TV and media that make us think they are all bad. Maybe only 10% of them are what you would define as "bad". 

Same truth as in USA. Unfortunately, too many good cops will not denounce the “rotten apple”.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Usually, yes. But I have lent money to family members several times, sometimes quite a large amount, and it has always been paid back on time usually by instalments. The only exception was a Bangkok taxi driver who borrowed 20,000 for his daughter's wedding, which then didn't happen. He didn't pay it back in one sum, but did so over a period of a couple of years. I was impressed with the effort he made to honour his debt. Now he lives a simple life in a field in Issan near me and much prefers that life to driving a taxi in Bangkok.

Your a very lucky man.the problem is that you have now become the family interest free bank.

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Do you know what's better than family lending.my family that don't ask me for nothing.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:46 AM, phantomfiddler said:

On the contrary !!! It proves that Peter Stonebridge still has a heart, good on ya, Peter, and I hope you get the cash back ????

Does anyone have Mr Stonebridge's contact details? I have a bridge to sell. 

• Haha 1

I had an email from a supposed friend of mine asking for money because he had been robbed in Bangkok. I replied I could help him with anything except money. I phoned another friend who told me the requester was at home with his family and knew nothing about this. Never send money. Present it hand to hand or not at all.