"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

A minimum of 65,000 bht income p.m. is not "peeps without money".

Feel free to look down your nose at those of us who had substantial cash sums when first coming to Thailand, but one way or another, lost it whilst here ????.

18 minutes ago, tifino said:

ah! that was the past 'Fun Ride' ???? 

Unfortunately, no ☹️.

Ex-husband playing silly buggers, and a Westerner that made the most of it when we split up and so had to sell the land we'd bought from him under a 30 (plus ????) year lease - back to him...  Long, boring and depressing story.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And yet, once the British Embassy starts no longer issuing income affidavits,

I will repeat this again

The British Embassy did not issue and Affidavit or provide any such service, what they offered was entirely different to the US CAN and AUS, this is a critical point - the UK is stating it can no longer meet the Thai Immigration requirements because they cannot guarantee the income of those people claiming, I would say there are a whole raft of income types aside from State Pension - the latter on its own would never meet the requirements anyway

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Now immigration. As reported Jontien Immigration has already turned away a number of visa agents.

are you serious?

do you really think immigration would even acknowledge the existence of agents by supposedly publicly turning them away?

i have a bridge for sale in London, interested?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I don't understand,why the embassy can not verify income, doesn't everyone have a tax return that indicates one's income for the previous year?  Wouldn't that be sufficient?

It could, but not without some limitations.

For example, a substantial portion of my annual/monthly income remains in entirely legal tax-exempt and tax-deferred retirement accounts. And that income never shows up on my tax returns, until and unless I decide to withdraw it from those tax exempt/deferred accounts.

So in my case as one example, my federal tax return wouldn't come even close to accurately reflecting what my true monthly or annual income is... It only reflects what my TAXABLE income is.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Once again it's the scammers who have made it difficult for those people who have played by the rules, that was true when it came to misuse of tourist visa's to live here, education visa's, marriage visa's and now scrutiny of income. 

The British embassy refusing to confirm income is causing the problem? If playing by the rules (which proof of income was) what's the issue?

actually, the 800k in the bank is not dead money, the interest is ok here compared to the UK current accounts.

if you have to do a scam to get your Visa, then now is the time for you to slither off back to whatever hole it is you slithered out of to come here.

I think one particular City not far from Chonburi is going to see a mass exodus.

Unless of course corruption will return after a week or so, like it normally does.

Cant take anything here too seriously.

To me, its just the British Embassy panicking.

Lets face it, legislation in the UK is ridiculous, and now its found its way here.

I bet the Americans and Canadians, wont follow suit.

• Like 2

I am sure that it will probably work itself out if you have the funds and the income, I feel certain there will be a way around it.

It is probably time the visa agents who are dodgy need to be caught and stopped.

Have mentioned before that I do not think the agencies are going to be "crackdown" on.

I still believe this.

But, those who say it is not that many people who use agents are very very wrong.

It is 10's of thousands of people throughout the country that use them.

And millions upon millions of Baht distributed to the Thai police/Immigration.

If he tries to enforce "no agents" I think there may be a revolt. 

Taking away a lifestyle of your own countryman is not a good idea in my opinion.

Should be interesting to watch.

I am glad I easily qualify legally in any event.

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

There does seem to be a bit of sensationalism creeping into the way this ongoing story is being reported. Nobody likes change but if we choose to live here legally then it will always at the whim of the powers that be, whether that be your country's embassy or the Thai immigration.

Having said that I do get a mental picture of all the British embassy staff hiding under a table in the hope that this will all blow over soon and they can get back to their Ferrero Rocher parties.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You missed the bit about their "crisply pressed slacks"! You mustn't leave it out, they're known for their "crisply pressed slacks"! Certainly not for their services to, or remotest interest or concern in, the affairs of their citizens who live in the country. Don't forget, "crisply pressed slacks"!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Utter pile of rot. Yesterday I bumped into a visa agency guy I have known for years. He told me last week things looked tough. Yesterday, everything was back to normal. Has anyone here ever known a crackdown on anything to last more than a week?

I am sure there will be fun and games, and probably payments to deal with the proof of finances issue, but nothing of substance is likely to change.

probably payments to deal with the proof of finances issue

Are you suggesting bribing an official?

• Haha 2

Just now, notamember said:

''It's happened.''

how do you know for sure?

were you turned away?

are you an agent?

it could be another bridge, not the same one

you jump to conclusions to easily

I listened to the full news item. The fact that several visa agents had already been turned away was stated in the news item.

This is as much to do with improving the Thai Immigration information management system and professional integrity of their officers as it is with anything else. What has been happening for years now is a gradual closing of the loopholes which allowed the visa system to be abused. Of late, the efforts are becoming more co-ordinated and systematic. 

The rules are clear, play by them, it's easy.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Have mentioned before that I do not think the agencies are going to be "crackdown" on.

I still believe this.

But, those who say it is not that many people who use agents are very very wrong.

It is 10's of thousands of people throughout the country that use them.

And millions upon millions of Baht distributed to the Thai police/Immigration.

If he tries to enforce "no agents" I think there may be a revolt. 

Taking away a lifestyle of your own countryman is not a good idea in my opinion. 

Should be interesting to watch.

I am glad I easily qualify legally in any event.

Is he not only talking about taking away the lifestyle of a relative few criminal countrymen?

A bit Strange really. Last time i did this (bangkok) all by post) original letters, statements from pensions in uk etc,(Originals only) fee, it was easy. But if people supplying forgery letters?? maybe that's it. 

SO Glad to be out of Thailand of the Police state mentality with the immigration guys good luck you al

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thai immigration has ALWAYS required embassy income letters for income based applications. Thai immigration has made no announcement that they will change that as yet. Let's deal with FACTS, rather than assumptions and wishes, shall we?

But for British expats who currently require an income letter, they will no longer be able to get one and will have to hope that Immigration will accept bank statements showing regular monthly credits of 65000 (for Visas not based on marriage) or show 800000 in the bank for 3 months prior to renewal.  Either way, this might affect them, either because they do not have 800000 spare cash which can not utilised for 3 months, or they cannot show 65000 credits each and every month, even if they could prove 800000 worth of credits over the full year, due perhaps to to seasonal fluctuations.   

In my particular case, due to the high bank charges involved, I transfer larger amounts to Thailand as and when needed, so in the past I could not necessarily be able to show 65000 in every month, even though the full year's total would reach Immigration's annual income threshold.  It now appears that I might have to accept even higher bank charges for more transfers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JAG said:

You missed the bit about their "crisply pressed slacks"! You mustn't leave it out, they're known for their "crisply pressed slacks"! Certainly not for their services to, or remotest interest or concern in, the affairs of their citizens who live in the country. Don't forget, "crisply pressed slacks"!

A common misconception of the British Embassy in Bangkok. When visiting the Thai Embassy in London, I found it to be entirely staffed by Thais.

The British Embassy in Bangkok also appeared to be staffed by Thais!

No crisply pressed slacks to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I listened to the full news item. The fact that several visa agents had already been turned away was stated in the news item.

i listened too

However this is Tommy saying it, on a commercial radio station

its not CNN or BBC

give me a break Spidey, its just more rumor and speculation spurred on only by people like you who actually believe it

only was you would know for sure was if you were an agent and you were turned away

but if you are so sure about it then ask Tommy to justify his source and name the agents who were turned away?

i see you are following this thread Tommy, so who was turned away? 

Edited by notamember
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

But for British expats who currently require an income letter, they will no longer be able to get one and will have to hope that Immigration will accept bank statements showing regular monthly credits of 65000 (for Visas not based on marriage) or show 800000 in the bank for 3 months prior to renewal.  Either way, this might affect them, either because they do not have 800000 spare cash which can not utilised for 3 months, or they cannot show 65000 credits each and every month, even if they could prove 800000 worth of credits over the full year, due perhaps to to seasonal fluctuations.   

In my particular case, due to the high bank charges involved, I transfer larger amounts to Thailand as and when needed, so in the past I could not necessarily be able to show 65000 in every month, even though the full year's total would reach Immigration's annual income threshold.  It now appears that I might have to accept even higher bank charges for more transfers.

Wow OK.  So either accept the "bank charges" or think of an alternative.

Seems rather petty but whatever....

PS:  If you have the right account there are no charges..

Edited by bkk6060

Perhaps I'm being a bit dense here, I'm a British pensioner getting a small government old age pension, it's always paid every four weeks into the bank so my bank book shows regular four weekly payments isn't that good enough?

P.S. Have not had much faith in the British Embassy for years.

1 hour ago, notamember said:

you are wrong

Brits have always had to prove the income claimed, you are mixing them up with US embassy letters who write what you pay for

In the four times I have got an income letter from British Consulate in Bangkok, I have NEVER had too prove the income claimed, simply send copies of my bank statements. I am not mixing anything up.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Of course I was speaking about income based applications, not full bank account applications. Full bank account applications definitely DO NOT require embassy income letters. I should add there are rumors even reports now that some offices may now be requiring STATIC 800K account applications to show some kind of ACTIVITY in those accounts. 

i thought that this had been a rule for a while,they want to see activity ie money in and out ,the other recent change was you have to get the bank letter on the day of your renewal,in the past if it was a day or two before no problem. i should have no problems with this but a lot of older Brits will,especially if Big joke effectivley wipes out the agents who quite a few i know use,as they have neither the required income or lump sum.

8 minutes ago, notamember said:

if you are so sure about it then ask Tommy to justify his source and name the agents who were turned away?

i see you are following this thread Tommy, so who was turned away? 

A good journalist never reveals his sources!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Never had Immigration in either Jomtien or Phitsanulok 'shit' on my application. If you have the correct amount of money, and the correct documentation....no problems. This new rule is has been made because you could tell the Brit Consulate anything you wanted about your gross UK income, and they would issue the signed letter, no questions asked. Now the Thai lot have got wise to this scam and are closing the loophole.

This new rule is has been made because you could tell the Brit Consulate anything you wanted about your gross UK income, and they would issue the signed letter, no questions asked..... I don't believe that statement. Up until June this year, I was requesting a letter of proof of income. I had to show the DWP income and other insurance letters to prove my income. I was also required to show 3 months UK bank statements. Has it changed since then?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

In the four times I have got an income letter from British Consulate in Bangkok, I have NEVER had too prove the income claimed, simply send copies of my bank statements. I am not mixing anything up.

so what is sending copes of bank statements, if not to prove income?

if not needed as you claim them why send at all?

just tell them what you earn and pay for the letter

(thats what you claimed before is done at British embassy , but is not)

Edited by notamember
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don't understand,why the embassy can not verify income, doesn't everyone have a tax return that indicates one's income for the previous year?  Wouldn't that be sufficient?

No, everyone does NOT have a tax return. Never had one since I retired 6 years ago, nothing from DWP, no letters of confirmation, nowt.