"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

On 10/9/2018 at 1:57 PM, mercman24 said:

its not a case of having the money, its a case of now having 20,000 english pounds in a Thai bank for 3 months, and we hear every week of skimmers, using cloned cards to nick money from unsuspecting people with the banks taking no responsibility for the losses. and everyone having to show 800,00 baht in the bank i dont trust a Thai bank as far as i can spit

Just put it in an account that has no ATM card affiliated to it. If you got an ATM facility account .. visit bank .. get a second account and top up ATM account from it as you go. I think you can get an internet account and move funds. No risk of skimmers taking big bucks if you keep small bucks in it. Thats what I do ... 

• Thanks 1

Sure....just fly in.....write us a check and LEAVE. Farangs who come here spreading their pernicious modernity and expecting "rights", are a plague on the land. Let's get back to the sakdina days and public beheadings and rule by whim.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HOAX said:

Ok so even more proof, and its even gross income. So I’m guessing you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, I'm not going to be fine. If the new policy persists I'll have to transfer i.r.o 1m baht over every year as a lump sum. I can do it but it will be a real pain.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

UK government pensions are for life.

Private pensions 'can' also be.

Company pensions most likely have an end date.

So no-one is posting rubbish.

Aug 23  Elderly expats  face losing access to their pension income and other financial services if there is a 'no-deal' Brexit. Also,a disability pension is not for life. When in doubt, ask an Ozzie. 

21 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Aug 23  Elderly expats  face losing access to their pension income and other financial services if there is a 'no-deal' Brexit. Also,a disability pension is not for life. When in doubt, ask an Ozzie. 

You last sentence explains everything you have recently posted.

Edited by wgdanson

Just now, wgdanson said:

And obviously Ozzies do not understand sarcasm.

Wot, me? I understand the diff. between last and second last. Are re my disability, I am proud to have backed up our allies, USA, in Nam. The price I've had to pay is minor compared to what other men paid. 

• Confused 1

To put it quite simply: "You don't bite the hand that feeds you"

I read a report that people spend the most of all Asian countries in Thailand. Simple logic  is that when tourism is feeding natives- no matter how, you don't screw around with that revenue.  I do understand "which" tourists are better than others- putting  myself in the Thai's shoes. Obviously, a subjective answer depending upon the "class" of  tourist. From my reading, Chinese are typically cheap, so I understand the perspective of Thais who have a legitimate bias. I hope that the rest of the tourists might change that.  It seems to me that it ' s

a typical thinking that some tourists magnify the fact that they (Thais) are protective in some sense of their country. And that is understandable. When people spend money, but do not respect the culture it is easy to see why some are caught in between revenues and respect. Unfortunately, this is what can happen when tourism infiltrates any country. There are those who welcome it without any resentment, and then there are those w ho feel they are being inundated with unease- for whatever reason.

There will always be good and bad - depending upon whom you ask. I lived in a popular beach vicinity an d could not wait for the off-season when the influx of people stopped. But I chose to live there and I was well aware of t he influx of tourists during the high season.

Each has their own  thinking re: Thai  tourism. What they think as opposed to who spends money is up to them. But if a Thai business is dependent upon tourism. then I guess you grin and bear it. Smile even though you're thinking f..k you:)

1 hour ago, cleverman said:

49 pages ,so far, every comment,except mine, are supposition, innuendo, wishful thinking. Why not wait to see what is actually going to happen, then cry about it, or rejoice over it. Over and out till then. 

Because it is a discussion thread where options and possiblities are discussed.  It is what keeps the flow and keeps things interesting.

So, which one of your 12 posts on the thread are you referring too??

It is 50 pages now hope to see you back when it reaches 100... ????

Edited by bkk6060

1 hour ago, cleverman said:

49 pages ,so far, every comment,except mine, are supposition, innuendo, wishful thinking. Why not wait to see what is actually going to happen, then cry about it, or rejoice over it. Over and out till then. 

I thought innuendo was the Spanish word for gay??????

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2018 at 12:41 PM, darksidedog said:

Utter pile of rot. Yesterday I bumped into a visa agency guy I have known for years. He told me last week things looked tough. Yesterday, everything was back to normal. Has anyone here ever known a crackdown on anything to last more than a week?

I am sure there will be fun and games, and probably payments to deal with the proof of finances issue, but nothing of substance is likely to change.

I guess you missed the part where the British embassy is no longer providing their backing snd good name to the dubious documents. There has been a huge change there.

Next change is Britons will no longer have that document. Immigration MIGHT accept documented income steam or not.

But clearly change is afoot

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

I guess you missed the part where the British embassy is no longer providing their backing snd good name to the dubious documents. There has been a huge change there.

Next change is Britons will no longer have that document. Immigration MIGHT accept documented income steam or not.

But clearly change is afoot

I think so.

It's a case of hurry up and wait.

3 hours ago, cleverman said:

Also,a disability pension is not for life. When in doubt, ask an Ozzie. 

I am on a portable DSP (disability pension). Have been for a long time. I was told when I turn 65 in 15 years time, I will just convert to an Old Age Pension. I have no more reviews pending. A DSP is not for life as it converts at a later stage to an Old Age Pension.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, we do and every time foreigners here feel "jerked around" by uncertainties with staying here legally, those other choices become more appealing.

I've said it many times as I have researched many other nation's retirement status programs.

A huge downside of Thailand's program is a total lack of long term residence security after one year.

They have retained (and clearly will retain) the power to boot out the lot of us very quickly. 

The majority of other programs have a path to permanent residency and even citizenship in as little as a few years.

For older people, uncertainty of being legal where you are living is not a good thing. 

Can you go ahead and talk about the nearby countries policies?

4 hours ago, Elkski said:

Can you go ahead and talk about the nearby countries policies?

I don't think any Asean nation offers explicit permanent residency based on retirement (most have nothing specifically for retirement but sometimes other ways to stay long term). Malaysia offers a retirement program for several years at a time but much higher financial requirements than Thailand. Philippines has a lifetime retirement program (apply ONCE and you're set as long as you follow the rules) that requires fees annually but it's not the same thing as permanent residency. I suppose if residence security is the top priority, the Philippines is probably the best in Asean and financial requirement levels similar to Thailand. The nations that offer fairly easy paths to actual permanent residency tend to be in Latin America.

Edited by Jingthing

I just heard a loudspeaker on a truck that drove past my house in English say "Farang put 800,000 in Thai bank or face arrest!"

I'm not joking.

Yes! I am new to Thai language and usually ignore those Muay Thai and Temple announcements.

But the unmarked truck with the very loud sound system caught my attention. I asked the bartender (at the joint at which I am currently drinking away what’s left of my miserable life) - what are they saying about 800,000?

He told me not to worry about it and poured another drink.

I suggest the rest of you do the same. Cheers.

Don’t tell me why it can’t be done; show me how it can - Jim Wright
  • Haha 1

Americans have been told for decades that you need two million dollars to retire at 65. 

When I first came to this forum six years ago I said to someone "if you don't have 800,000 baht you are not ready to retire." Which is true.
I was shocked how many people came back at me and said they don't have it. I am not talking about the "I don't trust Thai banks" crowd.

after all, 800,000 baht is 66,666 baht a month for one year. It was just shown that a large group of expats get by on 45,000 baht a month. so people retired and came to Thailand without being able to put one or two years living expenses in the bank? It's not like you can't take it out anytime you want. It is your money. The little income you lose with a poor interest rate is not that much.    

and all you are going to do is use the money to live on for one year and then fill the account back up two months before your retirement extension of stay.

at a bare minimum you should have 16 million baht ($500,000 USD) in a bank somewhere in your home country and a pension or social security to scrape by over 30 years.

man that is really going to be tough moving forward for a few more decades without money.   

There’s a reason so many farangs drink themselves to an early grave in Thailand - they can’t afford a later departure!

• Haha 1

Might want to consider other options now?

Panama is the Thailand of the Americas. Panama permanent residency for a single applicant is $8350 and can be done in 3 months. I did mine a few years back. https://www.joyful-feet.com 

Guatemala is where it’s at for American retirees

I wonder when Big Jobbie and his pals will start to scrutinise the 'marriages of convience' AKA village marriages.  Many such marriages are clearly a con trick to get visa extensions on the cheap. The IO could start by doing Thai language tests on farang men married to Thai women. The rational is that if after a couple of years the husband can not speak Thai there is clearly no real relationship.   Many people who jump though hoops to obey the Thai rules and regulations object to some farangs taking the easy and cheaper way out and going for a 'marriage visa'.