Quick U-Turn on plans to introduce registration of pet dogs and cats

webfact

Quick U-Turn on plans to introduce registration of pet dogs and cats

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The government has announced a U-turn on plans announced this week to order cat and dog owners to register their pets.

They have decided it would be too much of a "burden".

The move announced on Wednesday would have seen pet owners having to pay 450 baht to register their pets and face 25,000 baht fines if they didn't. 

Sorawit Thanito - a vet at the Department of Livestock Development - told Thai Rath that the government had shelved plans for now saying that they would have been a burden on the population. 

A rethink on the way forward is now in the pipeline. 

The news on Wednesday caused a large reaction from pet owners with ten thousands of people sharing stories and many more commenting on the matter. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-12
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Flip! Flop! Almost seems part of the standard operating procedure here.

Bring out a cunning plan, introduce it with gusto, then decide its not so cunning, and pull the plug.

I think you just described why a "20 year plan" wouldn't work either.

What if it was a bad plan, not thought out ?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pet registration bill to be rethought after public fury and worries over fallout

By KORNRAWEE PANYASUPPAKUN 
THE NATION

cca1131ce1b117f8ffa7429c94cae33d.jpeg

File photo

A BILL approved by the Cabinet making it mandatory to register dogs and cats was derailed yesterday after pet lovers cried foul over the high fee for the registration document, and threatened to abandon their pets.

The bill, which got the Cabinet nod on Wednesday, allows municipalities to charge a maximum fee of Bt450 – Bt50 for registration, Bt100 for a book of identity and Bt300 for identification tools such as microchips. 

a7eea1b968a25579e5b06bb89f38353a.jpeg

It sets the maximum fine for violation at Bt25,000. However, the bill does not specify where the money will go or how it would be spent to improve animal welfare. 

“We don’t object if the government charges registration fees, but the amount must be appropriate and the agency must explain how the income is spent,” wrote the Watchdog Thailand page. 

“Personally, I think it [the registration bill] doesn’t tackle the problems, but makes them worse. Who will want to adopt stray cats and dog?” wrote the admin of Moh Maew Yak Bok Tard Maew Facebook Page (What a cat doctor wants to tell cat lovers).

The pricey fees will discourage owners from adopting pets and may even encourage some to abandon their dogs and cats on the street or in the care of temples to avoid paying the fees, according to comments in social media in response to the bill. 

Bill to be reconsidered

“If the bill was passed into the law, more dogs would be abandoned, uncared for, starve and spaying or neutering is harder. The dogs will also be at greater risk of rabies, said Dr Thiravat Hemachudha, a rabies expert and professor at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine.

Instead of charging high fees from people who help take care of unwanted dogs and cats out of kindness, the government should ask for their cooperation to get the animals spayed and neutered as well as vaccinated for rabies, he said. 

Following the public outcry, the Cabinet will reconsider the bill. 

At its core, the bill intends to regulate family pets and reduce the number of strays, but the Cabinet promised not to make registration a burden for people. 

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha was worried that if the registration move led to people abandoning their pets, the municipality, the City Hall, or the Agriculture Ministry would not be able to take care of these unwanted pets,” Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said yesterday. 

The Livestock Development Department agreed to take the bill back for reviewing, as it might create too much burden for the people, director-general Sorawit Thaneto said yesterday.

The bill, in fact, aims to prevent pet owners from abandoning their pets and to provide welfare for the unwanted ones. With such a law, families would be required by law to provided good care for their pets, and thus reduce the number of stray dogs and cats, he explained. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30356285

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-12

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Flip! Flop! Almost seems part of the standard operating procedure here.

Bring out a cunning plan, introduce it with gusto, then decide its not so cunning, and pull the plug.

Other governments call it "flying a kite".... which might also be a colloquially appropriate term for the Thai government!!!

• Thanks 1

Well I guess there are a couple of threads going on about this.

But to repeat myself, it's not like there is an animal control dept, or shelters to actually enforce any of it, so pretty usual Thai worthless proclamation.

Then you come down to the rotten truth, that Thai's don't actually have the same love for pets that most of us in the West do.

At best they get fed, but for the majority they just roam the streets, fend for themselves, and as for veterinary care...dream on!

22 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I guess there are a couple of threads going on about this.

But to repeat myself, it's not like there is an animal control dept, or shelters to actually enforce any of it, so pretty usual Thai worthless proclamation.

Then you come down to the rotten truth, that Thai's don't actually have the same love for pets that most of us in the West do.

At best they get fed, but for the majority they just roam the streets, fend for themselves, and as for veterinary care...dream on!

Re your above words that I put in bold. I know many Thais who own cats and dogs who give them the same care and love that I give my dog of 12 years or that other westerners give.

But your last sentence is certainly very correct. I see lots of that in Thailand too.

what a load of bs. if you cant afford it you shouldn't be responsible for it. all im saying.

this would have been one of the best moves in to the modern era.

the burden to the public and tourism from the disgusting dogs is much worse.

i guess it was never a problem for the hisos to recognize and just a way to get money given the u turn.

so stupid!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

glad the animals got a reprieve.

any word of a flip flop on the UK Embassy income letter debacle?   

Well, it took "ten thousands of people sharing stories and many more commenting on the matter" to turn this one around. Turning round the awesome British ship of state may take quite a few matelots leaning on the wheel.

• Haha 1

My Mrs was having a rant about this yesterday. All our cats have come from the local <deleted> dumping cuttings nearby. I told her yesterday, leave the next one don't feed it don't hold it. If the dog or our cats kill it, the karma is on those who dumped the kitten. Idea #2 was to pass it on to the police. They work for the government let them sort it.