Pattaya mayor goes back to drawing board to battle flooding

Rimmer

Pattaya mayor goes back to drawing board to battle flooding

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s new mayor has taken up the old challenge of trying to solve Pattaya’s chronic flooding problem.

Sonthaya Kunplome, meeting with his lieutenants and all departments responsible for water management Oct. 3, said city hall has to go back to the drawing board, re-examining everything talked about and done before.

He said a new geographic survey needs to be done to map out the natural flow of storm runoff and how it pours into the city from higher elevations in Banglamung District.

City hall, he added, must coordinate with other sub-districts and the Department of Town and Country Planning to devise a strategy. It also must work with other authorities to control the opening of floodgates to assure that water from reservoirs and canals drains at the right time.

Sonthaya noted that an earlier proposal to have the government give the city 665 million baht under the Eastern Economic Corridor banner to build a new water-treatment plant was rejected.

He said meetings need to be set with Banglamung District on managing water flow and storm runoff, that a survey of all the city’s pumps and equipment is needed, and a list of all the obstacles to natural drainage compiled.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-10-12

35 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Sonthaya Kunplome, meeting with his lieutenants and all departments responsible for water management Oct. 3, said city hall has to go back to the drawing board, re-examining everything talked about and done before

Including renaming the place Pattaya Waterpark and Boating lake ..

• Like 1

" He said a new geographic survey needs to be done to map out the natural flow of storm runoff and how it pours into the city from higher elevations in Banglamung District."

How about one done by competent engineers who know the subject? I would imagine some sort of doc has been submitted previously (I have a big imagination, granted), done by folks who perhaps got their authority or job based on who, not what, they know. And ignored anyway. "Hey, we're talking about money here, not flood control. Sheesh!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

He said a new geographic survey needs to be done to map out the natural flow of storm runoff and how it pours into the city from higher elevations in Banglamung District.

I suspect one of the younger generation has just graduated with a degree in surveying and is looking to start a new business, and has asked for a hand.

He could resort to asking his brother and other relatives who held office in the area what became of the reports they commissioned that will probably have all this information (the geography does not change that quickly) and a heap of relatively educated suggestions to remedy the situation. Some of the suggestions will not prove popular with a number of the better connected in the area as they will involve complying with existing and new regulations. This might cost money they have worked hard to get.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lespaulTV said:

Why are they so reluctant to seek foreign help? Wouldn't cost much if they just stop lining up their pocket for once. after the problem is solve they can continue their way.

They would be stupid to fix the problem....The money would stop rolling it...Long term festering problems are very profitable....

• Like 2

Forget going back and reviewing what went on in the past as it has obviously not worked, try going cap in hand and ask the Dutch to come and help you sort the problem out as they are the experts in flooding.  And forget about seeing how many backhanders you can get.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow!  Great photo.

Unfortunately when the water has flowed into the sea, the scum returns to rent you a beach chair and umbrella, drive their motorbikes up and down the sidewalk to deliver food and police justice, rent their jet skis or bodies to you, and pick up and deliver Chinese tourists.

Edited by Juan B Tong

38 minutes ago, mok199 said:

as predicted ....sat morning oct 13 , beach washed away now the newly laid sandbags are broken and exposed...this City is nothing but a failure

As long as it continues to keep the family tourist away I say bring on more failure... 

Why not just reverse those dodgy pumps around down on Beach Road and run the pipes back up Klang, Tai and Nord back to Banglamung. Surely that would fix it? Worth a go I guess cos nothing else has. By the way I failed hydraulic engineering in 1950 but I do like to keep my hand in.

23 hours ago, fakename said:

This has got to be the biggest Joke in Thailand. Build a sidewalk, dig up the sidewalk, build it again! This could go on forever, and it has!

I always wondered why the unemployment rate in Thailand was always as low as 1% today and even 0.3% only a few years ago

Edited by pattayadude
  • Like 1

After the committee had been set up and numerous fact finding  missions overseas they came up with this  cunning plan and Somchais best mate got the best deal possible thru his  brother in law's factory, guaranteed to work and only 3000 baht per item.

Staff training to commence on "how to" correctly use the new equipment as new staff may not be aware on operational procedures.

Thailand the first to invent this procedure.

496152924-612x612.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

After the committee had been set up and numerous fact finding  missions overseas they came up with this  cunning plan and Somchais best mate got the best deal possible thru his  brother in law's factory, guaranteed to work and only 3000 baht per item.

Staff training to commence on "how to" correctly use the new equipment as new staff may not be aware on operational procedures.

496152924-612x612.jpg

this bucket is a steal at 3000baht!

How do they do it!?!?!:crazy:

15 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

496152924-612x612.jpg

Hey! These barstools stole this idea from my 9-year-old son.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:36 PM, lespaulTV said:

Why are they so reluctant to seek foreign help? Wouldn't cost much if they just stop lining up their pocket for once. after the problem is solve they can continue their way.

Because foreigners know nothing and they are paid to be the big thinkers.

Just rip up the pavement and knock down parts of the beach wall then it can all run into the sea and pollute it more also wash away the beach sand.oh sorry I've just read that's what they are doing.morons are bloody smarter than these ??????? I ain't got a name for them.