Prenup not accepted at Laksi

Rudyv

OP are you living full time in Thailand? US citizen correct? If the prenup was most important to you then you should have told your 

fiancée you’d feel better the have it signed and go back for the formalities a few days later after you’ve had it notarized at ACS.

I’m assuming you both were happy and why you were getting married. Now is not the time to dwell on it. Enjoy the beginning of your lives together. If you dwell on it then your only bringing yourself misery. My friend misery. I’ve been down that road and it’s 

not worth letting it overwhelm you. 

Best of luck and good wishes to you and your wife. I hope a year from now you can share happy stories..

7 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Very selfish way of thinking. So when you die (as most of us will ) long before your GF if things have worked out and she has taken care of you for many years , had your kids , taken care of you in sickness and in health she is left with no pension (because you were not legally married to her) no insurance and none of your assets. Nice guy--NOT.

I know  German guy in Pattaya in my village 88 years old died a few months ago. Left his wife 68 years old with no insurance and no pension. She now is looking to sell their house as she does not have any money to live on, sad situation.

At 68 does she have kids and grandkids....apparently thai culture is that they take care of the parents and grandparents....or would it be as she was married to a Foreigner its the other way round....lets get some clarity on this issue as I see it as total crap

On 10/12/2018 at 4:50 PM, Rudyv said:

At least my girlfriend would. It should scare her off to do so. ????

But besides that, I hear many personal stories from guys who were lucky with a good prenup.

"scare her off???" I have a feeling you're in the wrong business. You shouldn't be marrying someone you think is going to treat you dishonestly unless you put fear of legal consequences into her. Of course I never had so much wealth that I had to worry about it, and I knew the women I married well enough to be confident they weren't going to steal my money. "Lucky with a good prenup???" Kill me now.

13 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Unlikely to happen.

Recent TV discussions on proving income for visa purposes indicates some embassies do not and will not certify correctness of claimed financial assets. At best the Embassy or Consulate typically assumes no responsibility for the truth or falsity of the representations that appear in the affidavit. Only the identity of the individual making the statement is validated.

You might try the Minister of Foreign Affairs that's near Lak Si for certification. But see below:

You can't have a pre-nup if you're now officially married.

You cannot contract rights with your wife.

Good catch, he is already married, so any pre-nuptial will be invalid - even IF it was recognized by the courts in Thailand (which they won't be if the other party will be disadvantaged in any way that circumvents Thai Law)

12 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's always wise to make a prenuptial agreement; however, "Thai law under the Civil and Commercial Code clearly states the difference between personal property and common property. Personal property might also be referred to as separate property and amounts to property owned by someone before they married," according to the book "Thai Law for Foreigners" (ISBN 978-1-887521-57-4), page 62.

You are not in bad situation, when it comes to assets in Thailand. However, Thai law is legal for Thai assets only – just like you need to write two Last Will if you have assets abroad, one for your Thai assets in accordance with Thai law, and one in your home country in accordance with the law there – and you might need to register a marriage in your home country also, and a prenuptial agreement covering your assets there might even be more important at that point.

The writers of Thai Law for Foreigners, two Thai lawyers, advise to let a Thai lawyer write and handle to prenuptial agreement for Thai assets, and have a lawyer from your home country to write and handle the prenuptial agreement for your assets there. You need two witnesses when the Thai prenuptial agreement is signed; some times a government office will provide two witnesses from their staff, sometimes you have to bring the witnesses yourself.

You might need to have a prenuptial agreement covering foreign assets legalized, could be the reason why the clerk ask for your embassy to verify it. Without proper stamps and legalization, your prenuptial agreement might not be valid.

If your assets are worth protecting, do let two lawyers make the necessary documents here, and at home; might be well spend money...????

Wiser not to get married and avoid the hassle. Learn from the Thai men. 

12 hours ago, inThailand said:

Wiser not to get married and avoid the hassle. Learn from the Thai men. 

Sure – I have a GF only, and we both agree in that it's much better that way – what's hers is hers, and what's mine is mine; period...????

On 10/13/2018 at 5:18 PM, baansgr said:

At 68 does she have kids and grandkids....apparently thai culture is that they take care of the parents and grandparents....or would it be as she was married to a Foreigner its the other way round....lets get some clarity on this issue as I see it as total crap

You can see it however you want , I just stated the facts , why should I make the story up. My wife says they never had kids, and her parents have passed . She plans to sell the home (listed at 6 million baht) and move into a small condo or apartment and live off the sale of the house.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/13/2018 at 9:33 AM, Tony125 said:

Very selfish way of thinking. So when you die (as most of us will ) long before your GF if things have worked out and she has taken care of you for many years , had your kids , taken care of you in sickness and in health she is left with no pension (because you were not legally married to her) no insurance and none of your assets. Nice guy--NOT.

I know  German guy in Pattaya in my village 88 years old died a few months ago. Left his wife 68 years old with no insurance and no pension. She now is looking to sell their house as she does not have any money to live on, sad situation.

what? a house to sell and you dare to call that no money?

pretty sure she paid 0 satang for it

Archived