no new VISA debit card after cancelling the current one

I am trying to get a charge cancelled that occured without my agreement on my Bangkok Bank savings account through my VISA debit card.

(Backgroud, not really relevant: It is for Audible, an Amazon "service" to download audio books. I wanted to sign up for a free 1st month of membership in August and I did give them my VISA card details, but when I tried to sign in I was requested to confirm the expiration date of my card, which I did correctly, but the Audible system didn't accept it, so I contacted their support by email and was told to call them in the USA. I thought that this was not worth do to and forgot about the whole thing, until I later discovered a suspicious charge which was from Audible as I found out through Bangkok Bank's help line.)

When I called Bangkok Bank's help line the agent suggested me to cancel my VISA card, to avoid such charges in the future. She also told me in almost uncomprehensible tinglish that I would not get a VISA replacement card after this, but some other card which I have never heard of.

Does anyone here know more about Bangkok Bank's practice to not replace a cancelled VISA debit card but issue some other debit card instead with probably very limited usability? My current card is still valid for another 5 years and I prefer to keep it.

(And yes, I am also trying to cancel my Audible membership which is yet another big challenge it seems, but this has nothing to do with my bank or Thailand, so it doesn't need to be discussed here.)

You would get a Union Pay debit card (some China based stuff).

Done to death and heavy criticized in the forum since months.

The dispute/possible abuse by "Audible" is indeed worth a separate topic. Cancelling you VISA debit card is brute force really.

Yea, over the last year been many threads and posts regarding Bangkok Bank switching to UnionPay debit cards....they will no longer issue a Visa debit card except "maybe if you are lucky/are super persistent/etc."

I was informed by Bangkok Bank, Nong Bua Lamphu that they are changing to MasterCard in early November, so keep your fingers crossed.

Tried to pay bills at Tesco Lotus and True, got knocked back, Direct Debit is not working but ATM's (all) OK.

BKK Bank issued me with both Visa and Master cards Platinum--when I asked for a credit card 3 years ago (which isn't really credit I know) The Master card is an Air Asia sponsored one.....and has become quite useful, even if you haven't brought your fare with it (& there is no extra add on charge if you do) you only have to show it to board & it doesn't matter where your sitting you go with the first lot. Luggage also comes off quicker if you did book with it. I got into their lounge in KL when I was not traveling business (small charge)....etc. I have platinum cards for Oz but when I am there I just use a debit card, find the whole thing less of a hassle.

Just sgin in to your Amazon account and cancel your Audabile sub it really aint that hard also you can contact Amazon and explain to them that you did not want to sub after the free trail and they may give you a refund they did for me when I forgot to cancel Amazon prime and they took payment for it but returned it when I explained I didn't want to sub after free trail 

What I did before my Amazon Prime annual renewal was due was to go into account settings and remove my credit card from "automatic payment".  If you don't have a card linked to your account, they can't charge you. They were persistent at sending email reminders that they need a card on file or alternate payment for renewing. I just ignored them and they eventually stopped. It's been over a year and I still get weekly emails alerting me to the benefits of my "expired" Amazon Prime account. 

Here we go again - Bangkok Bank no longer issues VISA DEBIT CARDS, only the problematic Chinese Union Pay. Your Current BKK VISA card is valid to its "good thru" date printed on your card (in my case 01/22). I have been told by my bank manager that the bank will be issuing a MASTERCARD DEBIT CARD sometime next year (no date stated). I have opened a new account with Krungsri Bank which issues a VISA DEBIT CARD - just in case!!

14 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Your Current BKK VISA card is valid to its "good thru" date printed on your card (in my case 01/22).

Wrong.  From the bank's website "If you have a Be1st Smart VISA, Be1st Smart Rabbit VISA, Be1st Smart Rabbit Siriraj VISA or Be1st VISA debit card, you can still use your card until 2019."

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card

Union Pay card from BBK Bank... yes my Visa Be 1st Debit card broke over 2 years ago and was change to this stupid Union Pay card......

I still Bank with BKK Bank simply because that is where my Pension goes... + have another Fixed rate Account......

Problems = can only use at a BBK Bank ATM or use at any other ATM there is a 10 baht service change !! [the nearest ATM from BBK Banks is 16 km away from me] Places that have stickers Union Pay accepted DO NOT accept  the BBK Bank Union Pay card..  eg: Supermarkets, my large Hospital the same have tried.....  

Myself every month withdraw my Pension and put in in my SCB account, which I have had a Visa/Mastercard Debit card for many years.

29 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Perhaps you could explain that in English, please?

When you obtain a credit card from BKK bank---you open a 2nd account and place 100K in it. The funds that you spend re the "Credit" card are deducted from that account at whatever timing you chose, you can take smaller payments. The funds to top up the "credit" card account are taken from your main account. And you must not exceed the amount you have in that account. There are benefits to using the card....15% discount with Lazada and many other discounts at places when you book ahead with the card, & as I mentioned first post----first onto airlines, no charge for using the card when booking etc  but its not what I would call a genuine Credit card----I have been with BKK Bank more then 20 years now, they have just offered me their new Titanium card I have not bothered to look up what the benefits of that card are.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Credit-Cards/Bangkok-Bank-Titanium-Credit-Card

37 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

When you obtain a credit card from BKK bank---you open a 2nd account and place 100K in it. The funds that you spend re the "Credit" card are deducted from that account at whatever timing you chose, you can take smaller payments. The funds to top up the "credit" card account are taken from your main account. And you must not exceed the amount you have in that account. There are benefits to using the card....15% discount with Lazada and many other discounts at places when you book ahead with the card, & as I mentioned first post----first onto airlines, no charge for using the card when booking etc  but its not what I would call a genuine Credit card----I have been with BKK Bank more then 20 years now, they have just offered me their new Titanium card I have not bothered to look up what the benefits of that card are.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Credit-Cards/Bangkok-Bank-Titanium-Credit-Card

Titanium is not all that new

I've had it about 3yrs

I've collected loads of points but never got anything for free as too lazy to ask for a catalog or figure out how to utilise the points before they expire 

On 10/12/2018 at 9:02 PM, Pib said:

Yea, over the last year been many threads and posts regarding Bangkok Bank switching to UnionPay debit cards....they will no longer issue a Visa debit card except "maybe if you are lucky/are super persistent/etc."

actually this is not true. only certain branches have ceased issuing visa debit cards while other continue to due so at the account holders request. i know because i demanded it and was told which branch i could go to get mine issued as a visa debit card. 

actually this is not true. only certain branches have ceased issuing visa debit cards while other continue to due so at the account holders request. i know because i demanded it and was told which branch i could go to get mine issued as a visa debit card. 

Not true. I went to several branches and visa is dead and buried, only union pay now.
If this happened back home I would have ripped up the bank book but I have 2 bank accounts here and need them both

On 10/13/2018 at 8:06 AM, sanuk711 said:

BKK Bank issued me with both Visa and Master cards Platinum--when I asked for a credit card 3 years ago (which isn't really credit I know) The Master card is an Air Asia sponsored one.....and has become quite useful, even if you haven't brought your fare with it (& there is no extra add on charge if you do) you only have to show it to board & it doesn't matter where your sitting you go with the first lot. Luggage also comes off quicker if you did book with it. I got into their lounge in KL when I was not traveling business (small charge)....etc. I have platinum cards for Oz but when I am there I just use a debit card, find the whole thing less of a hassle.

Always good to note any cards that can be linked to frequent flyer programmes. IMHO best use of points.

You can also go into a branch and link your Bangkok Bank credit cards to your savings account and use the cards to withdraw cash, just select "saving" on the ATM machine and the cash will come directly from your savings account, not a credit card cash advance.

This function does not work overseas, and I am not sure about ATM machines of other banks.

Archived