Yet more confusion over the removal of Income Certification Letter for British expats

rooster59

7 minutes ago, meechai said:

Proof funds came from  outside & thru Thailand via withdrawal slips I would guess to be solid

It has been said several times already that this would prove nothing. You could use the same 65'000B month after month, by sending it to your bank in Thailand and then sending it back to your UK bank. That would not prove an income of 12x65'000B.

Also why would people continue to use the 800k method where they have to keep it during 3 months, when they could do by 1/12 of this amount sent every month ?

• Like 2

Just now, soalbundy said:

True, but that is all we can go on 'at the moment' because nobody is giving out a statement.

Well that should be good enough then.

When those in charge make their decisions I'm sure they will publish a memo or something.

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

It has been said several times already that this would prove nothing. You could use the same 65'000B month after month, by sending it to your bank in Thailand and then sending it back to your UK bank. That would not prove an income of 12x65'000B.

Also why would people continue to use the 800k method where they have to keep it during 3 months, when they could do by 1/12 of this amount sent every month ?

what would you live off?

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

what would you live off?

Revenues from Thai dividends, SET stock exchange, Thai bank funds/interests...

Money of the Thai wife or companion...  (Not all Thai people are rather poor !)

Various investments in Thailand, etc.

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

what would you live off?

There's this guy, you might have seen him around Soi Post Office and Beach Road who lives off charging people 50-100 baht for having their picture taken with his pet parrot. Could be a role model for raising cash. Not sure if the parrot has a work permit.

Edited by SheungWan

11 minutes ago, meechai said:

You know an old method may be closed..you really  think no substitutes will  be allowed?

If so the take the simplest of all routes...put 400k in a Thai bank

it is not much money in any currency

It's too much for some people. They will have to go down the illegal route. Do you think that it's right for the British Embassy to force it's citizens to commit illegal acts in Thailand?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

There's this guy, you might have seen him around Soi Post Office and Beach Road who lives off charging people 50-100 baht for having their picture taken with his pet parrot. Could be a role model for raising cash. 

I get my money from the ATM ????

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The status quo for UK is now no letters issued after December, no?

correct and what is worse is that they are feeding us with BS by telling us, it's OK because according to regulations we don't need them which shows a blatant ignorance of the reality.

• Like 2

Come on.............If embassy stop issuing letters what do you think??

Thailand kick all who used that method previously out?

Come On...know more? What do you "know"

You know an old method may be closed..you really  think no substitutes will  be allowed?
If so the take the simplest of all routes...put 400k in a Thai bank
it is not much money in any currency
Dude we all know the seasoned money in the bank method stands!

The controversy is over the income methods.

Focus please.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Actually a number of us have done this. Personally, I contacted the Secretary of State for the FCO, Jeremy Hunt, to make him aware of the problem. No reply as yet.

The more emails that hit their desks and the medias desks the more notice they will take because like all politicians they do not like bad publicity and when it comes to questions from the shadow minister then the do seem to take notice. Get as many ex-pats to send those emails and good luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

But part of the problem is that The Brit ex-pat wont get off their backsides and do something positive they would prefer to sit around and whinge about it and hope that the Thai's will change things for them. I made suggestions on the starting thread about this. My suggestion was to get the email addresses of the minister responsible plus the shadow minister and any independent ministers plus several of the news media. You write an email about the problem and you send it to the minister involved and you make sure that you include in the cc: all the other ministers and the news media. If they get emails from 100, 200, 300 ex-pats then they might just take some notice. To complain to the embassy is a waste of time in my opinion. So it is up to you, the British ex-pats.

As you quite rightly say - for my part already done!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

you could rent it to yourself and claim the rent as income, or not?

It had passed my mind, but then I thought of the income having to come from abroad, so again it would be moving the sum back and forth.

If the income could come from Thailand then I could rent even to a thai friend, which would make it possibile.

Anyone know how it works for an expat recieving income from property? Taxes? Tax declaration?

7 hours ago, bigginhill said:

is 800,000 alot? Because I'm not married.

Enough of the "I'm alright Jack" please.

Just under £11,000 when I got my money over and to me that's a lot money, use to use some and top it up for the 3 months prior to extension.

When to marriage extension so we could use 400,000 bht to buy farmland.

Never bother with verification letters from BE a letter to confirm amount Thai bank for a 3 month period is all you need.

So  "I'm alright Jack".  ???? ????????????????????????????