Yet more confusion over the removal of Income Certification Letter for British expats

rooster59

7 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Thai immigration thinks that all letters from all embassy's verify income. None of the letters do.

Will they ever wake up to this fact?

They have woken up.  That's what all the fuss is about.  TI want embassies to verify income which has never been done to date.

• Thanks 2

After 100,000 signatures:

While many petitions have been debated in parliament it is difficult to find many that have directly led to changes in legislation.

And we're talking of a petition that affects a small number of people.  According to BE that is 3,000 though I'm struggling to believe that number.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

No, they haven't woken up. They still accept letters from all embassies. If they did wake up, they wouldn't accept them, now would they?

They're still issuing the letters, they're still accepting them. Any change won't happen until January 2019

Nothing has changed at all right now but it might.

That is of course unless there is some backtracking.....when it comes to Thailand there's nearly always some backtracking....

• Like 1

In Pattaya, at the Austrian Consulate,

Austrians, Belgians, Dutch, Germans, Luxembourgers have to prove a monthly minimum income of the equivalent of 65000 ThB ( usually a document from an Office of Pensions ). 

In my particular case, I have a document from my Office of Pensions going back to one year, every monthly amount paid has a date and a code.

I have than also a document from my bank in Belgium stating the monthly incomes with the code and name of the principal ( O.o.Pensions )and the date.

So in fact rather simple to check.

The Austrian Consulate issue and sign then an "Income Letter".

So this is not an Affidavit, 

in other words :

not a confirmation of the identity of a person declaring something, yes or no,  under oath.

3 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Thai immigration thinks that all letters from all embassy's verify income

38 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Austrians, Belgians, Dutch, Germans, Luxembourgers have to prove a monthly minimum income of the equivalent of 65000 ThB ( usually a document from an Office of Pensions ). 

In my particular case, I have a document from my Office of Pensions going back to one year, every monthly amount paid has a date and a code.

I have than also a document from my bank in Belgium stating the monthly incomes with the code and name of the principal ( O.o.Pensions )and the date.

in other words :

not a confirmation of the identity of a person declaring something, yes or no,  under oath.

" So in fact rather simple to check. "

Yes, but DO they check, do you know ?

Brits have to supply  documents but the BE do not check them, hence the apparent problem.

Edited by davehowden
Spelling correction.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, davehowden said:

but DO they check, do you know ?

One has to go in person at the Austrian Consulate, they check the data on the different documents, but not if the documents are genuine. 

So, eventually, false Office of Pensions, and false bank, documents, may be accepted.

For us Belgians, no need to forge documents, we can go to the Belgian Embassy, we there state how much monthly income we have, no proof needed, and the embassy issue an Affidavit.

The Affidavit of the Belgian E. or the Letter of Income of the Austrian C. are both accepted by Immigration Jomtien ( so far ).

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Why doesn't immigration adjust their criteria of 800k/yr to 200k/3mnths frozen authenticated every 90days during reporting requirement?

How would one communicate this to thai immigration?

what is the point of that ? . The threads is about removal of certification of income letters, not deposits in a Thai bank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yang123 said:

Good (188 sigs), but a complaint direct to FCO Consular Department is likely to receive a more immediate response and reach the operational parts with supervisory power over Bangkok Consular Section.

Haven't had a response yet, well only an automated reply

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The complaints route is a far better option than a petition.

You are guaranteed a response from an independent body plus if not happy there are procedures to escalate your complaint.  188 complaints would be a better use of people's time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yang123 said:

Thanks for the link - bookmarked for future reference depending on whatever replies I receive to my emails to the Embassy and FCO.

I somehow doubt that the FCO are bestowed with an abundance of compliments about their consular services from expats living in Thailand, though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yang123 said:

Thank you - you may have seen it already but an excerpt from a speech by the British Ambassador to Thailand H.E.Brian Davidson in 2017:-

"I have  outlined my top three priorities in Thailand, which are about promoting a free and open society; building stronger  partnerships for mutual prosperity; and providing top-notch consular and embassy services to all who avail of them.”

I wonder what many British ex pats think of that statement at the moment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Exactly the same now as they thought at the time  he said it -  BS

I wonder if the " top-notch consular and embassy services "

includes answering emails? I've sent 2 over a week ago and not had a reply yet!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, luckyluke said:

in other words :

So we have ;

USA stat decs

Austrians, Belgians, Dutch, Germans, Luxembourgers  income letters

Italy accepts state pension certificate (maybe tax return where all incomes are listed) 

Can anyone add anything? would help when complaining to compare the services and solutions of all other Embassies.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, Jingthing said:

The Australian embassy has been and is still issuing the required income documents that are REQUIRED by Thai immigration for income based applications. Thai immigration may demand additional evidence of the income claimed in such embassy documents, but usually doesn't. 

Is It required to actually go to the Embassy or can do by mail, what does the Embassy require, it clearly states on their website, that they do not provide letters, so am confused.

On 10/21/2018 at 3:14 PM, SheungWan said:

Unfortunately for some people here 'positive' is just conflated with agreeing with them and life always has to have a happy ending.

I've just returned from the German embassy with my income letter. I tried to get some more info from the attache but the room was rather full this time and she wanted to get on with her work ( the man that I usually dealt with had changed stations but as my past info was in the computer there was no problem) so I could only manage a couple of questions :-

''Will brexit have any negative affects on me continuing to receive the income letter''

''No''

''The British embassy will stop issuing income letters and....''

''Yes, we have heard about that, it must be very worrying for people relying on the letter''

''Will the Germans also stop''?

''We have had no instructions to stop now or in the future''

The exact wording of the letter is as follows

Certificate    (underlined)

for the Royal Thai Immigration and Revenue Authorities

This is to certify from the documentation seen at this embassy that the British citizen

PERSONAL INFO

is receiving monthly annuity payments from Germany totaling

amount in Euros

amount in Baht

the amount in Baht, subject to FX fluctuations, at the current rate of exchange.

signed by the attache, Embassy stamp

The interview ended with her giving me a friendly informal goodbye, 'Tschuess' (no English equivalent) which I found rather nice. 

No caveat. It seems to me that with the wording of the BE letter and the caveat they have gone out of their way to show TI that they aren't to sure about their own verification ie. you want an embassy letter, here it is but we don't know if its factual, maybe we should stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I've just returned from the German embassy with my income letter. I tried to get some more info from the attache but the room was rather full this time and she wanted to get on with her work ( the man that I usually dealt with had changed stations but as my past info was in the computer there was no problem) so I could only manage a couple of questions :-

''Will brexit have any negative affects on me continuing to receive the income letter''

''No''

''The British embassy will stop issuing income letters and....''

''Yes, we have heard about that, it must be very worrying for people relying on the letter''

''Will the Germans also stop''?

''We have had no instructions to stop now or in the future''

The exact wording of the letter is as follows

Certificate    (underlined)

for the Royal Thai Immigration and Revenue Authorities

This is to certify from the documentation seen at this embassy that the British citizen

PERSONAL INFO

amount in Euros

amount in Baht

the amount in Baht, subject to FX fluctuations, at the current rate of exchange.

signed by the attache, Embassy stamp

The interview ended with her giving me a friendly informal goodbye, 'Tschuess' (no English equivalent) which I found rather nice. 

No caveat. It seems to me that with the wording of the BE letter and the caveat they have gone out of their way to show TI that they aren't to sure about their own verification ie. you want an embassy letter, here it is but we don't know if its factual, maybe we should stop.

Interesting.

So based on documents you provided, and I assume without the embassy checking their authenticity (for instance by going on-line and interrogating the actual data from the stated source whilst you were present) the German Embassy is saying

"

that the British citizen

PERSONAL INFO

amount in Euros

amount in Baht"

Not "has stated they are receiving" but "is receiving"

Edited by davehowden
Spelling