"contactless" payments support in Chiang Mai?

Just curious if many places - e.g. supermarkets, cafes are supporting contactless payments (i.e. debit/credit cards with the wireless logo - in particular for Revolut) these days?  This could be a way to mitigate the ATM fees somewhat.  Alternatively, smartphone NFC (Apple/Android Pay) or QR code payments?

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Why would contactless payment mitigate ATM fees compared to using the same card for a contact payment?

+1

Absolute mystery to me too. Please explain.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

+1

Absolute mystery to me too. Please explain.

If he is referring to avoiding his fees for ATM withdrawal with a foreign card (Revolut), QR code payments would only function linked to a Thai bank account (for now).

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lkv said:

If he is referring to avoiding his fees for ATM withdrawal with a foreign card (Revolut)

And this would work for me with or without contact-less.

My bank reimburses foreign transaction fees of the VISA credit card.

(otherwise would be 1.75%, much worse than withdrawing large sum at ATM).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Alipay, Wechat pay and Samsung Pay are the only cross border contact less payment systems in used in Thailand. Chinese tourists now a day just show QR codes on their phones and buys things without withdrawing cash from local ATMs.

If you have a Samsung phone, you can also try Samsung pay. Below link contains the list of the merchants that support Samsung pay.

https://www.samsung.com/th/samsungpay/merchant/

Edited by sanmyintmaung
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply - didn't get notified of responses for some reason. Yes, I was just curious if contactless is supported (judging from the replies, I guess not). It just feels more secure to pay contactless (with a revolut card) rather using the revolut card as a credit card (either by signing for or chip-and-pin). Happy to be proved mistaken though. The only alternative to all that being ATMs and the fees that go with them.

Actually, I do have Alipay so I might give that a shot to see how it works.

Edited by marcardar

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2018 at 10:07 AM, sanmyintmaung said:

Alipay, Wechat pay and Samsung Pay are the only cross border contact less payment systems in used in Thailand.

I pay contactless using my Revolut Visa in every 7/11 and many different places so contactless payment is not restricted to smartphone payment in Thailand.

Sure I save money for ATM withdraw when pay by credit card without foreign currency usage fee

Edited by sabanook