Scam alert for Re-entry permit

CLW

Please everybody be aware of the service printing and filling out your form before passport control.

They seem to be working together with immigration but are not officials.

There are no forms available so even if you bring the required 2 pictures you will not be able to fill out the form by yourself.

They'll charge you 200 Baht for the service!

If you want to avoid this you need to print out the form before.

I kept the receipt and will file an official complaint when I come back!

You might say it is only 200 Baht but multiply that by the numbers of people using this service everyday it's a nice income.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Hardly a scam, and it's been that way pretty much since they started issuing re-entry permits at the airports.

As noted, take your own form, or let them do all the work for you (including taking your photo and filling the form) and pay 200 Baht for the service.

• Like 2

Well, I have a different opinion.
I need to do this ridiculous and useless re-entry permit and pay for something that just exists to make money.
So I can expect they give you a copy of the form for free given you bring your own picture.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Hardly a scam, and it's been that way pretty much since they started issuing re-entry permits at the airports.

Just because it has been this way for a long time doesn't make it any less of a scam or any less wrong.

If Thailand wants to impose an official extra fee (with receipt) for airport filing, so be it. But as far as I know this extra charge is unofficial and is in fact nothing more than extortion. "Big Joke" should be looking at this, as indeed he should be looking at the other common rip-off: the unofficial "fee" for the free residence certificate. Both of these scams clearly show Thailand for what it really is.

Even more sensible: scrap the re-entry permit altogether and increase the price of the visa/extension accordingly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Just because it has been this way for a long time doesn't make it any less of a scam or any less wrong.

If Thailand wants to impose an official extra fee (with receipt) for airport filing, so be it. But as far as I know this extra charge is unofficial and is in fact nothing more than extortion. "Big Joke" should be looking at this, as indeed he should be looking at the other common rip-off: the unofficial "fee" for the free residence certificate. Both of these scams clearly show Thailand for what it really is.

Even more sensible: scrap the re-entry permit altogether and increase the price of the visa/extension accordingly.

You mean, do away with the re-entry permit, raise the cost of the visa and then reintroduce the re-entry permit again at a later date, but at a higher price, a brilliant plan, well done!

27 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/631223-immigration-templates/

New TM8 form. Fillable TM8 re-entry permit form.pdf

When printing on your own: duplex on one sheet.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Another SCAM alarm about the 200 Baht for what some call a service, e.g. those who have no photo and no form filled with them.

I should have a counter for the amount of SCAM alerts for this alone :wacko:

I do NOT support that this <selfdelete> re-entry permit is justified as such.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Another SCAM alarm about the 200 Baht for what some call a service, e.g. those who have no photo and no form filled with them.

I should have a counter for the amount of SCAM alerts for this alone :wacko:

I do NOT support that this re-entry permit is justified as such.

Well, I would pay a fee for a photo taken in case someone doesn't have it.
But not provide the forms of which a copy has a value of 25 Satang and you can fill out by yourself, I don't understand.

And yes, agree with you. This re-entry permit is a rip off per-se.
You paid for your visa already, why you should have to pay again to leave and re-enter the country.
Do you make any more work to an I/O than someone with no visa?

I don't know of any other country that has something similar.
If yes, please someone write it down here.

Have never paid any additional money for a re-entry permit (I have done a few over the years) for the following reasons:

1. I download and print out the TM8 form, and fill it out, before going to the airport. It is readily available online. I know this because I did my research before rather than showing up to the airport with nothing prepared

2. I bring the passport photos with me also

I don't care about what other country has something similar to compare to - because each country has their own procedures and requirements, and there is not much I can do to complain about this by saying "XXX Country doesn't do this" etc

Finally - 200 baht is a paltry sum to complain about when you arrive without having done your due diligence

8 hours ago, CLW said:

You paid for your visa already, why you should have to pay again to leave and re-enter the country.

Totally irrelevant what other countries do or don't have, you're in Thailand and this is what they have - also irrelevant is the workload argument, if you don't like the system they have here don't come, it's as simple as that, but don't and justify why their system shouldn't be in place because you don't have a say in that.

Totally irrelevant what other countries do or don't have, you're in Thailand and this is what they have - also irrelevant is the workload argument, if you don't like the system they have here don't come, it's as simple as that, but don't and justify why their system shouldn't be in place because you don't have a say in that.
Stupid comment.
Of course I accept it but why I cannot compare with other countries?

19 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Do some research before you go shouting "scam" as you are making yourself look silly.

It is a 100% legitimate service and you do get an official receipt for it.  Personally I am more than happy to pay 200B for not having to go and sort out my own photos, download, print and fill out a form.  It's all done for you.

If you are too tight to pay for it as others have mentioned you are free to go to an immigration office beforehand, or you can take your own form and photos.  

But to call it a scam, an extortion, and saying they don't provide a receipt - you could not be more wrong.

You have to laugh at how certain types of people see scams wherever they go, even when they clearly do not exist.

Edited by josephbloggs

16 hours ago, CLW said:

But not provide the forms of which a copy has a value of 25 Satang and you can fill out by yourself, I don't understand.

Most countries offer either single entry visas, double entry or multiple entry.  And yes, the multiple entry ones are usually significantly more expensive.  In Thailand you just pay for a visa (or an extension).  Adding multiple entires is optional - personally I always go for multiple entry re-entry permits when I get my renewal as I will use them.  But if you don't expect to be leaving Thailand you can save your pennies by not bothering.  You want a single entry for the duration it is cheaper, you want multiple entries it is more expensive.  So how is this any different from anywhere else? 

In fact you should be thankful - it is more convenient if anything, especially if your travel plans change.  Let's say I go to China. I got myself a single entry visa that is valid for three months.  If I want to leave China and come back within the three months I can't.  I have to leave the country and apply for a new visa - and PAY for that new visa (what a SCAM!!).  I think in most other countries it is exactly the same; if I need to leave the country when I have a single entry visa that visa is no longer valid when I come back (what, another SCAM??).  This is standard.  I can't think of any other countries offhand that give you the option to pay for a "re-entry permit" to keep your single entry visa alive - especially giving you the ability to do it at the airport!  And, to have someone do all the paperwork and photos for you for a paltry 200 baht (with receipt).

It is really is no different to anywhere else, just more convenient.  Seeing scams where none exist will eventually turn you in to a delusional paranoid wreck.  Er......oh.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:06 PM, CLW said:

The US does have the I-327 which functions largely the same as the Thai re-entry. 

12 hours ago, CLW said:
12 hours ago, new2here said:
The US does have the I-327 which functions largely the same as the Thai re-entry. 

And do you have to pay for that?

$575 plus $85 biometrics service fee.