British duke arrives on trip to enhance bilateral ties

webfact

British duke arrives on trip to enhance bilateral ties

By The Nation

a16e5f1347d30cb39a2335698e779310.jpeg

Britain’s duke of Gloucester

Britain’s duke of Gloucester will arrive in Bangkok today for an official visit, signifying the strength of the UK-Thailand partnership.

The visit demonstrates the importance of the UK/Thailand relationship, and our commitment to further strengthen ties between our countries, British Ambassador to Thailand Brian Davidson said in a statement.

The duke of Gloucester is a grandson of King George V and a first cousin of the queen. 

On his first day in Bangkok, the duke will tour the Jim Thompson House, a famous Bangkok residence and art collection.

In Chon Buri, the duke will tour the Triumph Motorcycles Factory and Senior Aerospace Factory. Both companies are British-owned and employ hundreds of staff in Thailand.

To mark the 75th anniversary of the Thai-Burma railway, the duke will visit Kanchanaburi province to attend a remembrance service for Commonwealth servicemen and women who gave their lives in the construction of the railway. He will also see the well-known Bridge over the River Kwai and tour its museum. 

In Chiang Mai, he will visit the Royal Project Foundation Centre where he will learn more about the sustainable projects founded by His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej. The Royal Project has always had close connections with the UK, in particular Kew Gardens, and provides excellent examples of sustainable development. 

The duke will also visit the Children’s Advocacy Centre: a notable Thai government initiative that joins international NGOs and Thailand’s police units to combat child abuse, exploitation of children and human trafficking; and the Habitat for Humanity centre in Chiang Mai. 

Habitat for Humanity aims to improve the quality of life of low-income Thai people by building homes and transforming communities. 

On his final night in Thailand, the duke will be the guest of honour at a charity dinner hosted at the British ambassador’s residence. The menu will be curated by Michelin-starred chef Ken Hom. The event is held in partnership with the Siam Piwat Group. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30356415

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-15

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, webfact said:

The visit demonstrates the importance of the UK/Thailand relationship, and our commitment to further strengthen ties between our countries,

Right up to providing Thai Immigration with Embassy letters - then there's a deafening silence.

They could at least have had the common courtesy to use his full name and titles:  His Royal Highness Prince Richard Alexander Walter George, Duke of Gloucester, Earl of Ulster and Baron Culloden, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, Grand Prior of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.

Not sure what he did to get all those titles, though.  Must have been something really, really important.

3 minutes ago, Oxx said:

They could at least have had the common courtesy to use his full name and titles:  His Royal Highness Prince Richard Alexander Walter George, Duke of Gloucester, Earl of Ulster and Baron Culloden, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, Grand Prior of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.

Not sure what he did to get all those titles, though.  Must have been something really, really important.

Lots of inbreeding?

Never heard of him which is not surprising considering how many dukes, earls ,lords , prince's princesse's,counts, countesses, viscounts  etc etc  they have on that huge Royal Brit family tree.

Atleast Thailand cuts all the branches leaving very little except the immediate Royal family tree.

Much better !!

45 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Bloke must have a business card the size of a postcard.

22 minutes ago, taninthai said:

A ponsing prick who probably never done a days work in his life....living off families money which probably comes from my taxes.

probably never been anywhere near a war zone

Would think his contribution to the world would out-weigh yours a thousand times over and, how many war zones have you been near -fighting your way onto a bar stool doesn't count. 

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Look at all those gongs on his chest, must be some kind of war hero?

I would say that if he were to wear all his shrapnel he would capsize.

But there again we Brits can make light humor of such things without fear of been thrown in jail. 

32 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Would think his contribution to the world would out-weigh yours a thousand times over and, how many war zones have you been near -fighting your way onto a bar stool doesn't count. 

What precisely has his contribution to the world been?

As far as I can see, he had an expensive education (Eton, Cambridge University) and did virtually nothing with it.  All his positions have apparently been honorary or sinecures.

53 minutes ago, taninthai said:

A ponsing prick who probably never done a days work in his life....living off families money which probably comes from my taxes.

probably never been anywhere near a war zone

Apparently he trained as, and worked as an architect before becoming Duke of Gloucester (on the death of his father)

I don't expect he has ever been near a war zone - all his medals and orders are civil ones not gallantry nor campaign medals (as you would know if you had "ever been near a war zone").

Jolly inclusive choice though: Earl of Ulster (that will get the Paddies going), Baron Culloden (that will wind up the Scots Nats) and Duke of Gloucester (where all Welshmen head once they have learned to Swim)!

Oh to be an Englishman, ????

25 minutes ago, JAG said:

Apparently he trained as, and worked as an architect before becoming Duke of Gloucester (on the death of his father)

Qualified as an architect in '69.  Quit in '72.  Worked for three years.  That won't even qualify him for a UK state pension.

"Britain’s duke of Gloucester will arrive in Bangkok today for an official visit, signifying the strength of the UK-Thailand partnership," Thailand held is such "strength" the poms send someone the rest of the world has hardly heard of, to me it seems like they are saying, Thailand, you hardly matter.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Well done.  I was about to mention that his title should have been capitalised - the Duke of Gloucester, but you managed the lot!  ????

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

He's a Royal.

Nothing more important than that in Thailand and I mean nothing.

You will also note the regalia and the medals. Similar systems and orders have been adopted by Thailand.

Rest assured he will get far more respect from the Thais than some ill-mannered loudmouth in a poorly fitted business suit and loafers. 

You might be right, but it wasn't my point.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Or Dick will do for short. When I saw a British Duke was visiting Chonburi prov I thought for sure it had to be Randy Andy fresh off the daughter's wedding.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

ok, I will have a stab at this, grandson of King George V just maybe.

Similar to the current Queen's grandsons who appear to be amassing a collection of titles.

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

"Britain’s duke of Gloucester will arrive in Bangkok today for an official visit, signifying the strength of the UK-Thailand partnership," Thailand held is such "strength" the poms send someone the rest of the world has hardly heard of, to me it seems like they are saying, Thailand, you hardly matter.

The Thai's must be miffed when the Duke and Duchess of Sussex flew by without dropping in on their way to Aussyland...

So much ill will directed towards this hapless looking Duke of Gloucester. His itinerary looks boringly predictable - Jim Thomson's House, he can purchase some overpriced neckties, stare at the black waters of the San Saep Canal, Kanchanaburi, Chiang Mai, YAWN.  Dinner with the British Ambassador, cooked by has-been celebrity chef Ken Hom, promises to be a stultifyingly tedious evening, I bet he'll be wishing he could slip away to Soi Cowboy for a couple of hours.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I will mention the pension letters to him when I see him at Lodge this week.

My bet is that you would be much more likely to catch him upstairs at Baccara. Should he make it to Windmill by the time you catchup to him he will surely be too sloppy to be of much use.

Archived