Missing all of my back molars [bottom]

dennis123

Actually, I have just one left, which had a filling, but it's broken on the side and rear and hurts, and I think it's beyond repair one other left on the other side but broken to the root so need to find a dentist that can get it out.

So what's left are my 4 front teeth, and one on each corner but those corner ones are damaged as well (though perhaps not beyond repair).

I searched a lot in Google and read stories about people with partial dentures, that rely on the remaining teeth, and due to the pressure those teeth breaking off. Considering the two corner teeth that aren't in the best condition I suspect the same might happen to me, eg breaking off at some point due to the force when partial dentures get attached to it.

I thought about implants but can't really afford it and due to the situation of all back molars missing I suspect I'd need 2 implants on each side, and with that 2 bridges (one on each side).

I don't mind partial dentures but if there is a big risk that the ones that it would be attached to break off then it's a big problem and then I would perhaps be better off to just pull all of the six remaining teeth and go for a full denture on the bottom? Been chewing with my left side but once that last rear molar is removed I have to chew with my corner teeth which is difficult.

Edited by dennis123

I have had dentures since 1966.  A full upper and a partial lower.  I am down to four teeth, all bottom and in the front.  I've had a stainless steel bridge for nearly fifty years and in the beginning lost two teeth a year due to the wear from the bridge.  That stopped when I was down to five teeth  about 20-30 years ago.  So long ago I have really forgotten exactly when.  Anyway, I have survived with two crowns and three small teeth in the front of my mouth for a long time.  The crowns help keep the teeth from wearing out and crumbling......you should be able to do the same and I doubt you will be around for another fifty years so don't be afraid to get a partial denture.  The sooner the better so you can eat normally.

I just got a quote last Wednesday from my dentist at Smile Dentistry in Cha Am for a full upper replacement and a new bridge as one of my crowned teeth is going bad and I don't like the look of my upper I had made in America a few years ago.  Even if he has to do a root canal on the one tooth the grand total of the new dentures will be about 31,000 baht.  

Hope your situation works out for you......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TGIR said:

I have had dentures since 1966.  A full upper and a partial lower.  I am down to four teeth, all bottom and in the front.  I've had a stainless steel bridge for nearly fifty years and in the beginning lost two teeth a year due to the wear from the bridge.  That stopped when I was down to five teeth  about 20-30 years ago.  So long ago I have really forgotten exactly when.  Anyway, I have survived with two crowns and three small teeth in the front of my mouth for a long time.  The crowns help keep the teeth from wearing out and crumbling......you should be able to do the same and I doubt you will be around for another fifty years so don't be afraid to get a partial denture.  The sooner the better so you can eat normally.

I just got a quote last Wednesday from my dentist at Smile Dentistry in Cha Am for a full upper replacement and a new bridge as one of my crowned teeth is going bad and I don't like the look of my upper I had made in America a few years ago.  Even if he has to do a root canal on the one tooth the grand total of the new dentures will be about 31,000 baht.  

Hope your situation works out for you......

Thanks for your comment.

So a crown on each corner tooth, haven't thought about that before but sounds like a good solution to support partial dentures.

op should be wary of thai dentist recommendation because quite frequently maximum profit is a prime motivator. would get more than one opinion and try to find an honest objective opinion.

i broke a tooth at the gum line and got a pin and crown after a root canal. normally breaking a tooth at the root level is painful but not in my case as there was a lot of calcification already.  it has held up well so far. along with additional crowns also in vietnam.

i have had 2 crowns in thailand at about 6k baht each. one failed and i had it fixed in vietnam for about half the price and dds very good and very modern international standard office.  thailand has become quite expensive for dental care compared to other se asian countries as well as india.

crowns are options if underlying tooth can support it and in case of molar side teeth should have strong support since food is chewed there. if support tooth is dead will need root canal prior to crown.  the other issue you may have is the upper molars have shifted in the absence of opposing lower molars.

i had a rather disparaging experience with a bkk dentist. i was having pain with cold food (ice cream, etc) and dds was trying to detect painful tooth by "tapping" on different teeth to no avail.  i had to ask her to test with cold and we quickly found the tooth.

the patient directing the exam is absurd and should not need to.

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dennis123 said:

I searched a lot in Google

Like Sheryl said get to a reputable dentist for their opinion. It depends in Thailand where you are but I followed recommendations on this forum for a good dentist in Bangkok and was very happy with the appraisal and learnt many things I would have missed just searching the net. I needed a crown and pin on two of my back lower molars in the end. Good luck.

How can you let your teeth go like that?  Twice a year going for dental hygiene (cleaning) should sort out problems long  before they got so bad.  At THB 600:- a go, it’s a well worth investment.  I’d like not even to think about the odour coming from rotten teeth, yuck.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You really need to see a dentist for advice on options for your specific situation. Anything people here, who are not dentists and have not examined yoh, suggest will be at best guess work.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sheryl, you beat me to it. Major dental issue & asking for advice here on TVF. I could understand if the query was about recommending a good dental clinic. Maybe if OP cares to tell us his/her location some recommendations might be forthcoming. 

Just a thought.

Pattaya has become a hub for dentists with considerable lower rates than Bangkok. Of course with very varying skill levels. Myself having inherited lousy teeth I have been doing a lot of shopping around :Been to dozens of different dentists in Bkk, Pattaya, Rayong, finally 15 years I found one that was good and does not seem to be profit driven. I have focused on one side of my mouth, which is enough for chewing and eating, a few strategically placed implants with bridges are enough, and nothing beats implants for powerful chewing, certainly  not the few remaining natural teeth on the right side of my mouth. 

I tried plates before, and I just can't stand all that plastic in my mouth :I can't really afford implants either, but I had to bite the bullet and make that investment, and haven't regreted it yet. 

hi buddy, at 71  years old had the last  bottom 9 removed, at age 60 after  spending what felt like millions on them i decided to get the top 12 out and get a  full plate, this was a great move as when i came to thailand i got a new top plate and it is just like , if not better than my own teeth, now after six months with the new bottom plate i am eating peanuts and anything i want, a little bit of discomfort that i can easyily live with at my age knowing i do not have to go to the denist in pain ever again, cost by my dentist at udon thai, 3 extractions at a time 1000bart, newtop and bottom plate 6000 bart, total for all new mouth, 9000 bart, and if i feel i want bottom teeth with pins, 25000 bart per pin, but as of now i am quite happy with the way its going, great dentist

• Like 1

13 hours ago, atyclb said:

might want to get an opinion at mahidol dental school hospital and see what options are.

http://www.dt.mahidol.ac.th/en/hospital-phayathai-campus/ .    walking distance to bts

Or Bangkok Adventist Hospital AKA Mission Hospital BKK. I have used the dental clinic a few times when visiting BKK.

http://www.mission-hospital.org/en/

• Like 1

I have a partial denture from Ram Hospital in Chiang Mai. An Australian dentist looked at it and said it was made to a very high standard.

For what it's worth, my experience is there is not much lateral pressure on the supporting teeth. The main risk is getting something hard jammed between the metal plate and the tooth, as the tooth will break first. Foods with hard seeds are off limits for me.

A denture is actually better than a bridge - dentures are near unbreakable in the mouth. Less expensive than implants.

Now, if I can just remember where I put the damn thing after I took it out last night....

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have a partial denture from Ram Hospital in Chiang Mai. An Australian dentist looked at it and said it was made to a very high standard.

For what it's worth, my experience is there is not much lateral pressure on the supporting teeth. The main risk is getting something hard jammed between the metal plate and the tooth, as the tooth will break first. Foods with hard seeds are off limits for me.

A denture is actually better than a bridge - dentures are near unbreakable in the mouth. Less expensive than implants.

Now, if I can just remember where I put the damn thing after I took it out last night....

It was on the dresser in a glass, next to your bed, breathing heavily!  :thumbsup:

Image result for laughing+dentures+cartoon+gif 

• Haha 2

I don't trust most of these dentists, especially not in Pattaya.

Some in this forum have recommended this German dentist on Thappraya road, probably the most expensive dentist I've ever been to. 15000 baht for a single root canal treatment while others do it for 6000-7000. If you ask the cheaper ones for advice all they say is implants, and one of them suggested one implant on one side with a bridge attached to it but that's not a solution when the other support point is broken to the root so then we're back at 2 implants on each side.

Although I'm still in my early forties I don't think I'll make it till fifty so I want a cheap yet still comfortable enough solution, eg not have my teeth/denture fall out when I take a bite of something.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:39 AM, Lacessit said:

Lol

Don't you feel that metal plate in your mouth, like isn't it annoying?

On 10/16/2018 at 3:46 PM, Globalres said:

How can you let your teeth go like that?  Twice a year going for dental hygiene (cleaning) should sort out problems long  before they got so bad.  At THB 600:- a go, it’s a well worth investment.  I’d like not even to think about the odour coming from rotten teeth, yuck.  

We haven't all been living in Thailand like forever, last time I went to the dentist in my home country it was 1200 euro, the time before that it was 800 euro, and so on. And guess what? The molars they worked on are now gone, they all broke off at some point and had to be extracted, so first you pay a premium to get them repaired/weakened and then they disappear. What a waste of money. When I add up all the costs I could already have full implants, top and bottom.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:11 PM, stropper said:

hi buddy, at 71  years old had the last  bottom 9 removed, at age 60 after  spending what felt like millions on them i decided to get the top 12 out and get a  full plate, this was a great move as when i came to thailand i got a new top plate and it is just like , if not better than my own teeth, now after six months with the new bottom plate i am eating peanuts and anything i want, a little bit of discomfort that i can easyily live with at my age knowing i do not have to go to the denist in pain ever again, cost by my dentist at udon thai, 3 extractions at a time 1000bart, newtop and bottom plate 6000 bart, total for all new mouth, 9000 bart, and if i feel i want bottom teeth with pins, 25000 bart per pin, but as of now i am quite happy with the way its going, great dentist

Thanks Stropper, I have a few questions:

How much time is required between each set of extractions?

How many repeat visits were required to get it all done?

What is the name of the dentist?

I also have some tooth decay on my upper side and I already know that when they fill it it's only a matter of time before it gets worse and I'm back at the dentist for more expensive procedures like root canals (weakening my teeth even more) so seriously considering to have it all pulled and be done with it forever.